Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which company to do a PPI claim?

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I had PPI a few years back but the mortgage company have no record of it. Problem is I took it out through the broker that arranged the mortgage (no one on here) who I can't trace and I don't know the name of the insurer.

I guess i'm balloxed but do you think they could trace it. I've basically given up so if i had to pay them 30% that's still 70% more than i'm looking at getting on my own.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In the last 15 minutes I've had 3 callers offering to make a PPI claim for me. I don't take cold calls, but maybe I should get a company to check if I have a PPI claim. If I knew I had a good claim to make, maybe I'd fill in some forms myself, but I don't think I've ever had PPI, so I don't want to waste my time. I'm happy for one of these companies to waste their time though, and there's a small chance they might find I've been mis-sold PPI, in which case I get some money - wahoo! So can anyone recommend a decent company to check a PPI claim for me? Thanks
Spend 10 minutes writing down everywhere you've borrowed money from in the last 10 years.
Spend 10 minutes finding their addresses online.
Write a single template letter asking if you had PPI and include all your address details for the last ten years.
Post the letters Job done.

My partner did this ( well me really ) and she is now £12k better off. Why pay 25-35% of your money to scammers ?

*** EDIT - I'll do it for you if you like. 10% of anything you get back goes to me. 10% to REMF. ?? ***

Last edited:

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
In the last 15 minutes I've had 3 callers offering to make a PPI claim for me. I don't take cold calls, but maybe I should get a company to check if I have a PPI claim.

If I knew I had a good claim to make, maybe I'd fill in some forms myself, but I don't think I've ever had PPI, so I don't want to waste my time. I'm happy for one of these companies to waste their time though, and there's a small chance they might find I've been mis-sold PPI, in which case I get some money - wahoo!

So can anyone recommend a decent company to check a PPI claim for me?

Thanks

Fill this in http://www.financial-ombudsman.org....ical_notes/ppi/PPI-consumer-questionnaire.doc and send it to anyone you've had a bank account/credit card or loan with. If you had PPI they will investigate the sale, if you didn't, they will write to you telling you so.

Can't be simpler that that, and you get 100% rather than only 70%. I work in insurance complaints dealing with things like PPI complaints and trust me, most of these companies will just make you fill out that form (or they own branded version) and send that to your bank, and will be pretty much all they do.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had PPI a few years back but the mortgage company have no record of it. Problem is I took it out through the broker that arranged the mortgage (no one on here) who I can't trace and I don't know the name of the insurer.

I guess i'm balloxed but do you think they could trace it. I've basically given up so if i had to pay them 30% that's still 70% more than i'm looking at getting on my own.

I'd be reluctant to accept their first answer, especially if it's 'we've got no record'. Write to them using the standard template as posted earlier, they will have to look a bit harder.......

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Investigate it yourself, do not give away 30% of any money to these people

I tried that but they told me to **** off, even though i know i had PPi cover on a car loan. So guess i will have to get someone to do it for me.
Does it apply to mortgages as well? If if the mortgage is now finished?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I tried that but they told me to **** off, even though i know i had PPi cover on a car loan. So guess i will have to get someone to do it for me.
Does it apply to mortgages as well? If if the mortgage is now finished?

Financial ombudsman if they said no and you think you had it.
And yes I believe it does, give it a go

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am in a slight quandary as I know I have never borrowed any money since retiring in 2003 (12 years ago) but did prior to then over a number of years. Can I still claim or is it now out of time. I get 10 calls a day from companies chasing PPI.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I did it myself - filled in a very simple form the bank sent me. Alot the specifics and dates I couldn't recall, so I just left blank and they still paid me out with just shy of £5k.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am in a slight quandary as I know I have never borrowed any money since retiring in 2003 (12 years ago) but did prior to then over a number of years. Can I still claim or is it now out of time. I get 10 calls a day from companies chasing PPI.

There is no time limit on claims at the moment - it's usually 6 years for FOS complaints but PPI Claims are exempt. Use the standard templates to write to your bank (don't use a claim management company - there is absolutely no need)

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I'd be reluctant to accept their first answer, especially if it's 'we've got no record'. Write to them using the standard template as posted earlier, they will have to look a bit harder.......

Thanks dazzer but the problem is, the lender didn't get the money, the broker got the commision and an insurance company got the payments, so, maybe, they didn't know about it. So who do i chase? lender, broker who I can't trace or the insurance company that I can't remember?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks dazzer but the problem is, the lender didn't get the money, the broker got the commision and an insurance company got the payments, so, maybe, they didn't know about it. So who do i chase? lender, broker who I can't trace or the insurance company that I can't remember?

If you were paying by regular premium (direct debit ?) can you trace the insurance company via your bank statements ?

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
If you were paying by regular premium (direct debit ?) can you trace the insurance company via your bank statements ?

Too far back for anything i can access, but i guess i could ask the bank, could be worth a try, cheers.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Spend 10 minutes writing down everywhere you've borrowed money from in the last 10 years.
Can the claims only go back 10 years?
My partner did this ( well me really ) and she is now £12k better off. Why pay 25-35% of your money to scammers ?
Well firstly, I thought there may be a decent company that could do it, who aren't scammers, who may then charge less. Secondly, because I think it will be 25-35% of no money at all.
*** EDIT - I'll do it for you if you like. 10% of anything you get back goes to me. 10% to REMF. ?? ***
Wouldn't that mean giving you sensitive information?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Compensation aside, why would anyone sign up for PPI? I remember being offer it numerous times, it just didn't add up and I didn't even get O level Maths

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Compensation aside, why would anyone sign up for PPI? I remember being offer it numerous times, it just didn't add up and I didn't even get O level Maths

is that a trick question? trying to catch some one out :lolol:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I doubt anyone signed up just for the compensation 10 years later.

I also remember the times when it was added to everything and I made a point of making sure I always opted out. So no hidden lump sum is going to be winging its way to my bank account, sadly.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can the claims only go back 10 years?

Six years is the limit in theory but most lenders seem willing to go back further.

Well firstly, I thought there may be a decent company that could do it, who aren't scammers, who may then charge less. Secondly, because I think it will be 25-35% of no money at all.

Good luck finding one of them ! I, foolishly, spoke to three and all three sent out ridiculously long forms and demanded account numbers etc. It quickly became obvious it would be quicker and cheaper for me to do it myself. Agreed, that might be the case but let's say it does actually end as £10k - does £3k for a few letters, given you've filled in their forms, sound reasonable value ? All for the sake of printing off a template letter and posting it.

Wouldn't that mean giving you sensitive information?

Depends on what you consider sensitive - your name, date of birth, addresses, and name of lenders is all that's needed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Six years is the limit in theory but most lenders seem willing to go back further.
Good luck finding one of them ! I, foolishly, spoke to three and all three sent out ridiculously long forms and demanded account numbers etc. It quickly became obvious it would be quicker and cheaper for me to do it myself. Agreed, that might be the case but let's say it does actually end as £10k - does £3k for a few letters, given you've filled in their forms, sound reasonable value ? All for the sake of printing off a template letter and posting it.

Depends on what you consider sensitive - your name, date of birth, addresses, and name of lenders is all that's needed.

Normal limit of six years has been abandoned for PPI claims - the Ombusman exempted them from the limitation.

For those thinking about claiming, most of teh banks have very details procedures published - here are Lloyds as an example (the industry's worst offenders by far based on money paid out in fines and compensation) as an example - there really is no need to chuck 30% of what you may be due at one these parasite claims firms

http://www.lloydsbank.com/payment-protection-insurance-complaints.asp

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here