Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which club has needed the most attempts in the playoffs to get to the Premier League

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Be interested to know how many clubs have never participated in the play offs these days. There can't be many, surely only teams at the lower end of League Two??

I read a stat that Coventry have not finished in the top 7 for 30 years (or some such). Moaners take note!

PG

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not finished in the top 6 in any division since the 1969/1970 season. One of my favorite football stats.

In fairness I believe they spent most years since 1969/70 in the top division, so hardly that surprising. They seem to have been really shit for only a decade or so?

Edit, just checked and they were relegated from the Premier League in 2001 after 34 years.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
In fairness I believe they spent most years since 1969/70 in the top division, so hardly that surprising. They seem to have been really shit for only a decade or so?

Edit, just checked and they were relegated from the Premier League in 2001 after 34 years.

Not sure what point you are making. They could still have finished in the top 6 in the first division/premier league

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure what point you are making. They could still have finished in the top 6 in the first division/premier league

They propped the division up and survived on the last day of the season most years . A club punching way above their weight for decades is the point I am making

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Had three consecutive failures 09/10 to 11/12 before winning division in 12/13. Might be useful precedent...

except we haven't had three consecutive failures in the playoffs

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hardly. By the time the Premiership was formed (re-labelled) we had spent nine seasons in total in Div. 1 and in fact were in the initial Premier league.

You like to bang on about the Premier League when it suits though :wink:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Poor old Llincoln had 5 consecutive attempts to go fromthe 4th to 3rd tiers and failed in 3 Semi Finals and 2 Finals. They also hold the most relegations from The Football League [5]

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Poor old Llincoln had 5 consecutive attempts to go fromthe 4th to 3rd tiers and failed in 3 Semi Finals and 2 Finals. They also hold the most relegations from The Football League [5]

while your here atfc

can you confirm Aldershot were 20 pts behind Wolves when you beat them in the play offs?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
while your here atfc

can you confirm Aldershot were 20 pts behind Wolves when you beat them in the play offs?

We ended up 9 points behind Wolves in 87 . Lost both league games to them 1 2 home and 3 0 away in front of just over 3000 . 1st leg of The Play off at Aldershot we watered the pitch which was then followed by a downpour ,that turned the pitch into a swamp :lolol::lolol: Won 2 0 at home and 1 0 away in the 2nd leg. We finished 21 points behind Hereford in The Conference in 03/04 and beat them on pens in The Semi Final.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here