Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which car insurers will honour NCD from 39 months ago?

I last drove in January 2008 when my policy with maximum No Claims Discount expired. Now, 3 years and 3 months later, I want to drive again but I understand most insurers will only allow NCD if it's been unused for less than two years. Does anyone have any suggestions? (I'm 52, car is 18 years old and it's my only vehicle).

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If you have a nice chat with them maybe you can swindle an extra 5% discount for having a generally good claims history. But no chance of getting your full NCD if you havent stepped behind the wheel in 3 years. Good luck! :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I had a company car for 5 years and had the same issue. Went to Direct Line who were my previous insurer before I got a company car and they looked up what NCD I had at the time and honoured it ( although they didn't add the five years I had claim free with the company car ). I would suggest going to your last insurer first.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Search around as for many years I was covered by company insurance driving a company car, so therefore didn't accrue any no claims bonus. The AA insurance (at the time) was offering a 2 NCD to new customers.

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
I last drove in January 2008 when my policy with maximum No Claims Discount expired. Now, 3 years and 3 months later, I want to drive again but I understand most insurers will only allow NCD if it's been unused for less than two years. Does anyone have any suggestions? (I'm 52, car is 18 years old and it's my only vehicle).

Why don't you just lie like everyone else....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why don't you just lie like everyone else....

Because if they accept just your word then they aren't a very good insurer. They should obtain proof on NCD even if that is them contacting your previous insurer themselves. If you have driven with a company car then likelihood is they will ask for a letter from the company or their insurers. If you lie, have an accident and get found out, more than likely in view of the massive databases held, then your claim is not going to be paid and you could end up having to pay for any third party damage that your insurers have funded.

As regards Nottseagull, get in touch with Peoples Choice and see if they will issue you with proof of NCD as at the time their policy lapsed. You can then use that. However, likelihood is they will try and fob you off but persevere.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
Most insurance company's will accept a letter from your employer confirming that you have driven with no claims for whatever period and then apply it as a discount equating to a NCD. I have done this on two occasions with no problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here