Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Which British Prime Minister had the most profund effect on your life?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is perfectly put. Leaving the EU itself is something that was very disappointing but that, personally, I will be able to mitigate the effects of. It has however opened a Pandora's box in empowering right-wing groups and, as you say, resulted in the most right-wing government of probably all of our lifetimes.

I'm sorry but I would take issue with that. Nothing Johnson has done so far is economically 'right wing' ( I accept I could still be proved wrong), but everything he has done economically is not 'right wing'. It has been simple blatant popularism with no plan. He has no political philosophy whatsoever other than his 'career'. It's interesting that Blair and Thatcher seem the most 'hated' on this thread but I would take either of them over Johnson every single time.

Whether you agreed with them or not, they had a plan for what they wanted to achieve. Johnson has none of that. He stands for nothing other than himself, and in the meantime, the UK suffers with no benefits whatsoever. Unfortunately, the effects are still someway from being realised.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Casual racism....nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FFS you foolish person, it is part of the rich 'British culture' you are always claiming you are so fond of.

It describes someone who uses faux patriotism to cover their complete incompetence in matters of politics. Look it up - Dickens

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

And, while you have the dictionary open. maybe look up 'Ironic' :lolol:

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Gammon has nothing to do with skin colour.

Gammons hate being called gammons though, I find.

Are they the 'master race?' ???

I also believe that the gammon also hates people that cry racism at every opportunity.

Must be tough.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Rather a shame that you have built a philosophy based on a lie. This is what Margaret Thatcher said:

""They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours." – in an interview in Women's Own in 1987

Her point being, that it's no use looking at your neighbour who is struggling and thinking "society will help". You need to look at your neighbour and think "I will help". Society, as a means of helping people, does not exist; people, as a means of helping people, do exist.

“It is our duty to look after ourselves” seems to me to be encouraging selfishness, irrespective of whether she went on to say something about helping our neighbour as well.
She also used the example of the Good Samaritan somewhat perversely, saying that he wouldn’t have been able to help if he didn’t have money, thereby missing the whole point of the story, which was how remarkable it was that a Samaritan was helping a Jew, when his Samaritanness should probably have told him to finish the Jew off. And the notion that you can’t help people unless you have money, which she may not have said but which she legitimised, is rubbish.

So Thatcher gets my vote for wrecking any social cohesion that pre-existed and encouraging the greed is good attitude.

I was also coincidentally thinking over the weekend about Russia and Gorbachev and corruption, how Thatcher and Reagan refused to support Gorbachev in overseeing the break-up of the USSR and its systems, but instead giving rise to the current east west tension and all the corruption in Russia. Gorbachev was (still is) a decent man and perhaps the world would have been a different place if he had been allowed to carry on.

Thatcher was certainly the worst PM in my lifetime....... until Boris came along with his BREXIT fiasco and his cronyism and his Pandemic decisions leading to so many needless deaths.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Agree,when my brother in law died leaving my sister in law to cope with three girls under 8 and half finished building project we could have said society can sort it out.Instead we helped and held the family together something I'm proud of.looking to society is just passing the buck.

Lucky for her she had family to help out, I don't think whether someone gets help or not, should just be down to whether they have willing and able family, or not.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The government will deflect all criticism for the billions spent on consultants and (Dildo) Dido's Track & Trace and the PPE debacle. BJ & Handjob will claim the credit for the vaccine roll out - but they had little to do with it because the majority of the work was done by the vaccine task force (chaired by Kate Bingham) and some key NHS people and some key UK/NHS commercial suppliers. As (Specsavers) Cummings stated - the vaccine roll out was taken away from the smoking ruin that is the Dept of Health and that's why it is a success!

I think this is a good place to mention that the Thatcher practice of defunding and crippling an entity to ensure it fails, to make privatisation more palatable, has not gone away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here