Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Which bird will you be roasting this Christmas time?

Which bird will you be roasting this Christmas?

• Turkey

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • Pheasant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partridge

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Chicken

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Goose

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Guinea Fowl

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Nut Roast

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Pigeon

• Duck

• Woodcock

• Multi Bird Roast

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Another Bird

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Plenty of good British game available at this time of year pheasant and partridge natural free range very healthy.
Well worth eating and much cheaper than a turkey, lots of good recipes, give it a try.

Agreed.
I must say, I put together a rather tasty pheasant casserole the other day and it was an exceedingly cheap and tasty dish.
I was praised way more than I deserved!

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
Although my response to you was actually a tongue in cheek jibe at the Scottish tendency to deep fry anything and everything in batter you have actually educated me regarding an interesting piece of kitchen kit I had never heard of. Is it one of those things that deep fries it at such a temperature that the oil basically can't contaminate the food?

It's basically just a big propane burner with a large pot to fry the turkey in. The kit came with all the bits and pieces required to handle the hot bird and inject the marinades etc.
The oil is hot enough, I guess, to seal in all the juices. There is no batter as such, just a nice crispy skin. It comes with an element of danger too which makes it all the more fun. Just Google search 'Deep fried turkey disasters' to see what I mean.
A deep fried Mars bar in the traditional Scottish way could possibly replace Christmas pudding as dessert though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Going to my elderly parents for lunch.....they’re not well enough to travel but apparently mum is well enough to cook for 8 of us.....

I’ve ordered a forerib of beef (bone in) to cook and take with us though. That dry old turkey **** can **** off.

Thought you said your mum was going to do the cooking? Cook that forerib twice and it will be drier than the turkey!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Goose all the way for us, stuffed with onions and thyme and served with cider gravy, yorkshire pudding, roasties, carrots, sprouts stir fried with shallots and bacon and red cabbage that I've braised very slowly. Unlikely to have any room left after that but there will be a few cheeses in the fridge just in case.

Wickies do a goose for under £30 (I think, prices may have risen) which is much cheaper than Canhams and still includes the giblets. Most of the giblets are used to make the stock for the cider gravy but the liver is put to one side and flash fried and served on half a slice of toast for me and the missus.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

A Turkey is not just for Christmas,

it's for Boxing Day as well​
. .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Lamb, pork and a red snapper...........the Mrs will get roasted on Boxing Day instead, as will prevent a heart attack after eating all that.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
With the price of turkey so expensive this year rather than a whole turkey we're only having a crown this year, with belly draft pork.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here