Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Which bird will you be roasting this Christmas (2023)

Which bird(s) will you be roasting this Christmas?

• Chicken

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Goose

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Guinea Fowl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turkey

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • Nut Roast

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • 3 Bird Roast

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 4+ Bird Roast

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Grouse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swan

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Pheasant

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Pigeon

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Duck

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I will have my annual Indian roast lamb, tradition for me, but the wife wants a roast duck this year, so be it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Think I'm going to need some help this year.
My Mum has anounced she is coming to us this Christmas. Without getting into the nitty gritty stuff, my wife doesn't want her as we were never invited to my parents for christmas. Anyway, mum is coming and I've been told I've got to cook the meal. HELP!
ps will be for 6 adults and 1 child.
Do Aldi do a ready meal I can shove in the microwave?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My Mum has anounced she is coming to us this Christmas. Without getting into the nitty gritty stuff, my wife doesn't want her as we were never invited to my parents for christmas. Anyway, mum is coming and I've been told I've got to cook the meal. HELP!
You can get the ready to roast trays from supermarkets. Turkey crown, chicken breast, hams etc.
smash in the oven for an hour and they’re done. I reckon four or five of those would easily cover your guests.

They also do trays of roasties, same deal.

I honestly don’t think anyone would know. And if they did, they wouldn’t complain. Cover them with tinfoil and baste now and again, perfect. They really keep their moisture. No wastage or picking meat off the bone.

Throw in some veggies, buy a tray of ready prepared pigs in blankets. Bit of gravy. Robert’s your father’s brother.

I get mine from Asda but I’m sure M&S would do similar if you’re going for an extra special one.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Chicken - any recommendations were to gt a decent one rather than bland tasteless muck?
For all meats, I suggest a proper butcher. More expensive so not for everyone, or every day, but the quality should be far, far better. Not least, supermarkets etc tend to pump loads of water or whatever into meat to add to the weight, which leaches out during cooking.

If you are near Westdene, the butcher there is superb. To clarify, I mean his meat. Oh blimey, you know what I mean!!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
None of above, only two of us dining so a Chateaubriand steak.

Will go daft with Yorkshires and Pigs in Blankets etc. plus sprouts, parsnips and roasties. plus my Shallot gravy which is booze based (Madeira and Red wine)

Never seem to do the Christmas Pudding until Boxing Day!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
You can get the ready to roast trays from supermarkets. Turkey crown, chicken breast, hams etc.
smash in the oven for an hour and they’re done. I reckon four or five of those would easily cover your guests.

I honestly don’t think anyone would know. And if they did, they wouldn’t complain. Cover them with tinfoil and baste now and again, perfect. They really keep their moisture. No wastage or picking meat off the bone.

Throw in some veggies, buy a tray of ready prepared pigs in blankets. Bit of gravy. Robert’s your father’s brother.

I get mine from Asda but I’m sure M&S would do similar if you’re going for an extra special one.
M&S opening soon here so I'll do a Christmas shop out there. Sorted.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have 9 quails every Christmas

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Xmas is cancelled in my house as my golden retriever due to give birth to 11 plus pups next week. I have three already so possibly 14 dogs running round the house on Xmas day not a good idea to be cooking.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

What is this? Yogi Bear’s birthday?😎

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sounds like it could be a tad frosty at yours this Christmas 😁

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
For all meats, I suggest a proper butcher. More expensive so not for everyone, or every day, but the quality should be far, far better. Not least, supermarkets etc tend to pump loads of water or whatever into meat to add to the weight, which leaches out during cooking.

If you are near Westdene, the butcher there is superb. To clarify, I mean his meat. Oh blimey, you know what I mean!!
Great, I go to the cafe next door regularly so will give this place a go. Many thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here