Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Which artist had the best ever single album career?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Thinking about Trotskyism because of the discussions on the 'Tory Meltdown' thread has reminded me that one of the greatest bands of the eighties, The Redskins sadly made just one album during their career. There was a live album put out some years later, but during their time together, they released just one album: "Neither Washington, Nor Moscow":

I can't immediately think of anybody who made just one album* that was better. I feel sure that NSC will give it a go. Over to you.

* (You can discount any post career cobbling together of singles, live albums etc. One studio album released while the act was together / alive).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Could you argue Never Mind the Bollocks? All the albums after were soundtracks or cobbled together stuff. It sounds pretty tame rock and roll these days but its impact is imeasurable.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Could you argue Never Mind the Bollocks? All the albums after were soundtracks or cobbled together stuff. It sounds pretty tame rock and roll these days but its impact is imeasurable.
You certainly could. NMTB came out in 1977. Even if you count the Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle soundtrack as a second album, it didn't come out until 1979 after they already split. It's a strong contender, certainly more culturally significant. Though for repeated listening pleasure I'd stick with the Redskins.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not saying it's the answer, but an honourable mention for Grace by Jeff Buckley.

1695986083958.png

Only one "proper" album, and it was very influential.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Stone Roses
Should literally be the only answer. If I had a time machine it'd be a toss up between last week's lottery numbers and preventing the making of The Second Coming.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not making a claim for 'best' but if we're talking baggy then Flowered Up's A Life With Brian and World of Twist's Quality Street were played non stop by me and a few others in the early 90s. And that was despite Flowered Up's best moment, 'Weekender', being released after the album. Like much of the 90s you had to be there though, preferably at a gig in a slightly altered state.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It’s pretty obscure, and admittedly takes the thread’s point off for a complete tangent, but a ‘one album’ artist that’s always intrigued me is Mary Margaret O’Hara.

Did Miss America, and then never anything again (apart from contributing a couple of tracks to a film soundtrack years and years later).

I know her voice and style are marmite, and a lot of people just don’t get it, but I think it’s a truly outstanding and haunting album, and it’s a crying shame she called it quits after just the one go.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Jeff Buckley was the one that immediately sprung to mind

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It’s pretty obscure, and admittedly takes the thread’s point off for a complete tangent, but a ‘one album’ artist that’s always intrigued me is Mary Margaret O’Hara.

Did Miss America, and then never anything again (apart from contributing a couple of tracks to a film soundtrack years and years later).

I know her voice and style are marmite, and a lot of people just don’t get it, but I think it’s a truly outstanding and haunting album, and it’s a crying shame she called it quits after just the one go.

Apparently completely head mental, hence the brief career...

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Lauryn Hill and Them Crooked Vultures are honourable mentions to me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here