Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which Albion player has annoyed you the most since you started watching the Albion?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Whilst sticking with Codner, Stephen Gipp needs a mention. Scored 750 a season for the reserves, then when he played he was too tiny to see over the grass.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm going to wilfully misinterpret the question and bend the rules slightly and say: Glenn Murray.

I was massively annoyed by him scoring for Palace against us at the Amex.

He still remains one of my all-time favourite Brighton players however and I think he's a genuinely nice bloke.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm going to wilfully misinterpret the question and bend the rules slightly and say: Glenn Murray.

I was massively annoyed by him scoring for Palace against us at the Amex.

He still remains one of my all-time favourite Brighton players however and I think he's a genuinely nice bloke.

Loved it that he refused to celebrate his goal though. That shows a lot of respect.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Agree 100%

Above average in an absolutely shit team, but there was very little talent behind the effort.

He stayed at the club about 5 years longer than he ought to have as well. He went about 4 YEARS without scoring a goal FFS, and still people were begging for him to be given chance after chance.

Didn't help that I bumped into him in hospitality at Spurs v Albion (at the new Spurs gaff), cheering on Spurs, with his FKW spurs kid.

Not sure he was playing all that often in those four years, and was played at right back and on the wing often when he was.

Chopera

Apr 23, 2021
Connolly.

Great youth career, hit the ground running with an outstanding performance v Spurs, won international caps at such a young age. Rewarded with a lucrative new long contract with us.

And it has all been downhill since then with poor perfomances and off the field controversies and stupid haircuts.

Still has time to redeem himself though...

In his defence I'd say he was promoted to second choice striker too soon. Andone and Locadia were shipped out, there was no time to find a replacement, he comes on as a relative unknown against Spurs and scores twice. In hindsight it was a bit of a one-off and resulted in him becoming a bit overhyped. Unfortunately it was enough for him to stay in the squad, albeit mainly on the bench, instead of being loaned out.

And then it coincides with Ireland having the worst squad in 40 years, and suddenly he's playing for them way to soon as well. It's not really surprising he's got above himself when really circumstances have conspired to put him there.

Compare that to Gyokores who also made a few appearances around that time, did far less than Connolly, gets shipped out to Coventry where he's not up against the best defenders in the world, and is now scoring for fun.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Let it go mate!

Vicente, but actually more specifically Poyet, for not giving him more game time. I know he was fragile, but I cannot understand why even a half fit Vicente couldn’t get into our team as when he did appear, he was the best player I have ever seen for brighton in my 48 years of watching us.

Perhaps he didn't want to play Championship football when half fit?

I could never understand people being annoyed about Vicente being half fit. If he'd have been fully fit he'd have been playing in the Champions League, not for Brighton in the Championship.

I think Connolly has annoyed me more than most other players in the last 30 years. It's just so predictable where his career is going to go, when it should be going in the opposite direction.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I could never understand people being annoyed about Vicente being half fit. If he'd have been fully fit he'd have been playing in the Champions League, not for Brighton in the Championship.

I think Connolly has annoyed me more than most other players in the last 30 years. It's just so predictable where his career is going to go, when it should be going in the opposite direction.

I used to see him weekly at the Virgin club in the gym and always stopped for a very broken English chat, his English was very sparse and it gave me a chance to better my Spanish.

He was not half fit. He said he wanted to play and was available but he never understood why he wasn’t used more. Last time I spoke to him he suggested that him and Poyet had a difference of opinion, so maybe that was behind him not being used.

Watching his training in the gym I was amazed how fit he looked!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ryan Harley..... great opening game and goal... total dogturd ever since.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. He made my No 1 (or 2) position because when interviewed as he was arriving he was asked how he felt about dropping down a divsion (he had never played PL football as he got immediately loaned back to Exeter in L1 or L2) and the patronising guff that came out of his mouth had me near breaking the TV.

I focussed on him for a few games and apart from that worldie (fluke) v Posh the one thing I noticed more than anything was how he would run around making all sorts of 'give it to me gestures' but never actually found enough space for whoever had the ball to try it. I ended up thinking it was deliberate

Yes, he most definately is my No 1!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I used to see him weekly at the Virgin club in the gym and always stopped for a very broken English chat, his English was very sparse and it gave me a chance to better my Spanish.

He was not half fit. He said he wanted to play and was available but he never understood why he wasn’t used more. Last time I spoke to him he suggested that him and Poyet had a difference of opinion, so maybe that was behind him not being used.

Watching his training in the gym I was amazed how fit he looked!

Interesting. Although looking fit in a gym and being match fit are presumably very different things. It would seem very odd if he really was match fit and Poyet didn't want to use him, when he was head and shoulders above everybody else in the league.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

3227808-66073428-2560-1440.jpg

I know he is Irish and might struggle a bit but glad to hear he is proficient in Spanish.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting. Although looking fit in a gym and being match fit are presumably very different things. It would seem very odd if he really was match fit and Poyet didn't want to use him, when he was head and shoulders above everybody else in the league.

Clash of egos? I can’t imagine Vicente was in awe of Gus and Gus was a complete control freak. If you told me Gus cut his nose off to spite his face on occasion I would be inclined to believe you. He did turn into a meglomaniac dick in his last couple of months here (Gus that is)

Didn’t Vicente say something along the lines of Gus being the worst manager he’d ever played for in an interview after he left?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

One of our ex players was on R5 or interviewed by [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] fairly recently (last 3 months?) and mentioned that Vicente was always declaring himself unavailable owing to the slightest twinge, like he was made of Angel's tear-flavoured crisps. It was a bit of a standing joke among the players it seemed :shrug:

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Mark Farrington. I could not believe he earned a living as a centre-forward. Bloody hopeless!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Paddy McCourt.

Reminded me of one of those irritating twàts at primary school who thought he was world class just because he could dribble a bit and then moaned "aaah FOULER" as soon as any opponent got remotely physical. Basically his game consisted of dribbling into dangerous areas and then wasting it. All the f**king time.

That's not fair - he'd also dribble around, but not into, dangerous areas. I enjoyed many a time when he would roughly follow the contours of the penalty area from one side to the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here