Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which Albion player has annoyed you the most since you started watching the Albion?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I could pretend be one of those who always rated Barnes; but that's not fair. His missed chances and petulance absolutely did my head in.

In reality Gus shunted him out wide and his scoring record was very good. Fair play.

Forster Caskey did my head in. So did Keith Andrews in that very same midfield. But David Martot was the one who inexplicably ticked all boxes to make me rage.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ryan Harley..... great opening game and goal... total dogturd ever since.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Again proving my point perfectly. Albion fans love a trier, ability doesn't matter!

Not seen the guy play but I struggle to see the downside of this. Personally I find it A LOT more easier to like a player who is trying his hardest but not quite being good enough compared to a player who is technically a great player but cant be bothered to try.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
See you gave yourself away there as someone who clearly never went to Gillingham.

This is what I thought, there was a time there where he was good, the best player on the pitch on a number of occasions as I remember?

Him and Richie Barker were shining lights for me (oh how far we have come :albion2: :lolol:)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Again proving my point perfectly. Albion fans love a trier, ability doesn't matter.

I think most football fans love a trier (not sure you can really say ability doesn't matter).

More to the point of this thread though, most football fans don't get 'annoyed' by those players that give it all with limited ability. More the other way round.

OGH wasn't the worst player in the team in his playing years in terms of ability. He certainly wasn't in terms of effort either. Seems a bit odd to single him out for 'most annoying player' from those times. When most of us loved him for his effort and contribution to the team (including a few promotions in a dark dark time).

To be fair though from what you have said it seems like it is more the fact that other fans loved him that annoyed you rather than him or his performances.

Still we are all allowed our own opinions.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Let it go mate!

Vicente, but actually more specifically Poyet, for not giving him more game time. I know he was fragile, but I cannot understand why even a half fit Vicente couldn’t get into our team as when he did appear, he was the best player I have ever seen for brighton in my 48 years of watching us.

Good call re Vicente, wonderful to watch but frustrated we did not see enough of him. Barnes? Just can't let go, shame as he had talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Did Jeff Minton under achieve? he was certainly one of our stand out players in what was, let's face it, a pretty crap side.

I think he disappeared in games quite a lot at first, but seemed to dig in much more as the gory years progressed. He was, as you say, one of the best players we had at the time.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Unpopular opinion I suspect, but it's Robert Codner.

Never did anywhere near enough.
And just when he did start performing got banged up. Idiot

He’ll come good.
Liverpool are interested.
£1m bid according to the Daily Star.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Did Jeff Minton under achieve? he was certainly one of our stand out players in what was, let's face it, a pretty crap side.

He had a lot of responsibility on young shoulders. In a better side he could have been at least as good as Bridcutt (but he was another one that annoyed me).
A pretty crap side is an understatement, having witnessed all bar three home games in two years.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Leon Best (lazy and shit)
Jurgen Locadia (just shit)
Craig Davies (poor lad)
Mark McCammon (shit)
Stephen Dobbie (dickhead)
Alex Revell (just his face really)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not seen the guy play but I struggle to see the downside of this. Personally I find it A LOT more easier to like a player who is trying his hardest but not quite being good enough compared to a player who is technically a great player but cant be bothered to try.

Gary Hart was signed from a non league team in 1998 for £1000 and a set of tracksuits. :)
This player would not even be on my list of Albion players that have annoyed me.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I gather he wasn’t that good as a player, by his own admission too. Must have missed the games he played for us though
He didn't play for us, of course, although he did play against us at Withdean ( sub for Boston... I think ).

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
He still does me now when reminded of him, which the thread title immediately did. Lazy big time Charlie. What made it worse was that he could play when he could be bothered, which he wasn't when with us.

With what we know now, I think he was probably suffering with his mental health back then, on a number of occasions he drove back to North Wales just to have a cup of tea with his Mum and then came straight back, needless to say the club weren’t that happy with his petrol receipts.

Clearly he was talented, but maybe he wasn’t wired up correctly both emotionally and mentally. Doesn’t make him a bad person, nowadays clubs would put a big arm around him and look after him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here