Wherever we end up

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It is results industry and all credit to CH and the squad we have become a hard side to beat and our performances are more workmanlike then entertaining.
We have quality and flair in the team and we have seen fantastic goals on the break however we rarely boss games for two halves.
That said I'm delighted with the results if not always the entertainment on offer. Can you have both?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was too busy helping the stewards with their inquiries at Rotherham to watch the match.

You were the lucky one.

Actually I did talk to a couple of stewards, as I spotted someone shining a laser into the stadium. It was traced to someone outside, but I was worried it was going to be shone in a player's face.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You were the lucky one.

Actually I did talk to a couple of stewards, as I spotted someone shining a laser into the stadium. It was traced to someone outside, but I was worried it was going to be shone in a player's face.

It might have woken them up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm struggling to remember what was so good about watching 70 minutes of 'keep ball', with intermittent moments of personal brilliance.
I know I enjoyed it at the time, but I always felt the team played within itself, to many 'holding' players.

2 wingers, 2 centre forwards, 2 quality midfielders, attack attack attack.
Sure sometimes it hasn't paid off, but that has been part of this seasons appeal.

So it's a yes from me.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Due to the juggling of dates and the, probably, over-televisation of games, i've been to the Amex fewer times than usual - I even had this reminded to me by a call from the Albion, wondering what the problem was and whether i planned to renew. This hasn't created a distance betwixt myself and the club as such, but it may have ever so slightly detached me from involvement in some of the magical moments of this season. I say this with a degree or two of sadness, and with untold envy of those always there and in full cheer. I'll be there for Burnley and a few more yet, and when not around truly loving it from afar, whether a victory earned or stolen, or stolen from us with a fiendish dive. It has been one to remember, and to admire, but i wish i could have missed a fewer number of games - which might just mean eventually moving back down home, to Brighton, again, and making those nighttime journeys back to bed so much briefer - if only just to witness more of a topless Bruno in his drooping shorts.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
do you agree that it has been the best season for entertaining football from the Albion since we moved to the Amex?

We have had some higher points, in terms of domination of opposition teams under Gus, but we also had plenty of turgid keep ball dull games. Oscar did a great job but entertaining us wasn't something he excelled at given the injury problems and downgrading of players. Hyypia was just a complete disaster,

I hold my hand up to thinking CH was a dull but safe choice at the end of last season. I was so wrong as he has mostly put out sides that have entertained us.

FANTASTIC season which may get even better and I feel an affinity with the players again that I think most of us had lost completely last season.

Thoughts?

Yep.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm in the 'no' group. I have generally enjoyed results more this year (though quite a few have also been frustrating), but entertainment wise I haven't enjoyed it overall. There have been some great passages of 10-20 minutes, but too often the phrase 'winning when you're not playing well...' has been uttered. It took us until February to win a game by more than one goal, which seems all the worse when you consider we went undefeated for 21 games.

I know some people remember Poyet and Garcia as a lot of sideways passing and possession with little excitement. But to me, we controlled games, there was a purpose to our possession that made the games more enjoyable. It always felt to me like we would be able to break a defence down (though we did struggle with that, I felt there was still the sense we would), whereas it feels this year like if our opposition show some defensive discipline, we won't break them down, we rely on them making mistakes, or catching them on the counter (which is one area I feel we have improved quite a bit).

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
It's a 'No' from me too.

Delighted with the results, but the performances have been workmanlike in the main.

Yesterday we were pants until Hemed came on. Gifted a penalty, then we had a great 10 minute spell, followed by squeaky bum time when they scored. Preston away was grim, and by all accounts Wednesday at home was the same.

The good news is the defence is excellent.

Chris Hughton has done a superb job, and whatever happens this season should be backed in the summer one would hope.

We are one of leagues highest scorers !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are you thinking of the home or away game? I can't even remember the home one.

I was thinking of home games, as most of us didn't get to see those performances away.

Rotherham away was an abomination, I did my best to entertain the troops by getting my collar felt though.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
In the bigger scheme of things it's been a smashing season. We may not have quite the flair Spanish-speaking players as when Vicente/Orlandi/David/Bruno/Ulloa would occasionally combine to destroy opponents. (Let's face it, it was occasional). But it's one of the best 'team' efforts I've seen in 45 seasons following the stripes. We are willing and able to work our socks off for each other and have got the results from this. This gives me as much satisfaction as the odd bit of glorious skill.

For those picking out odd-games to disprove things. Well, each to their own, but you could do that for any of those 45 seasons I've watched. It's a cheap shot in my book. Look at the bigger picture.

PG

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is the first season since we slowly but surely pegged back Reading in the Ceefax era that I've started obsessing over the league table in a fairly unhealthy way for an adult male with friends and family in the real world. It's BRILLIANT!!!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm in the 'no' group. I have generally enjoyed results more this year (though quite a few have also been frustrating), but entertainment wise I haven't enjoyed it overall. There have been some great passages of 10-20 minutes, but too often the phrase 'winning when you're not playing well...' has been uttered. It took us until February to win a game by more than one goal, which seems all the worse when you consider we went undefeated for 21 games.

I know some people remember Poyet and Garcia as a lot of sideways passing and possession with little excitement. But to me, we controlled games, there was a purpose to our possession that made the games more enjoyable. It always felt to me like we would be able to break a defence down (though we did struggle with that, I felt there was still the sense we would), whereas it feels this year like if our opposition show some defensive discipline, we won't break them down, we rely on them making mistakes, or catching them on the counter (which is one area I feel we have improved quite a bit).

The quality of the football under Gus in particular was a joy to watch. I loved it and was thoroughly entertained. However, this season feels (no idea on the stats) a lot more open in terms of more shots taken/faced and in that respect there's certainly an argument to say it's been more entertaining/exciting. It feels like Hughton accepts we'll give up X numbers of shots a game but fancies us to create just as many, if not more ourselves, which over time will see us come out on top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports