Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where would you be

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My Dad has an amazing pictorial book on the Malta WW2 effort. He spent a lot of time there in the years after with the Royal Navy. I've visited the area. Amazing peoples who we are most indebted to. When I was there I sensed an historical antipathy towards Germans and Italians among the older generations.

The older generation that lived during the 2nd world war did have a great affection for the UK but for later generations
there are some who resent the Empire attitude.
Apparently there were beaches reserved for servicemen and Maltese were barred. You do see some resentment and nowadays many of the younger generation support Italy. Italian tourists are very common here as many Maltese speak Italian having learned it from the TV as children. (When there were no Maltese channels)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The older generation that lived during the 2nd world war did have a great affection for the UK but for later generations
there are some who resent the Empire attitude.
Apparently there were beaches reserved for servicemen and Maltese were barred. You do see some resentment and nowadays many of the younger generation support Italy. Italian tourists are very common here as many Maltese speak Italian having learned it from the TV as children. (When there were no Maltese channels)

So that seems to have changed in the last thirty years or so, but I guess it's understandable. A good thing. Is Gozo still the little English enclave it once was ?

I must return to Malta. Such a pleasant place to take a break.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So that seems to have changed in the last thirty years or so, but I guess it's understandable. A good thing. Is Gozo still the little English enclave it once was ?

I must return to Malta. Such a pleasant place to take a break.

Lots of other nationals in Gozo now, but still a lot of English living there.

Malta has loads of EU immigrants as well as Africans. We hear loads of different languages on the bus every day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here