Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where will we finish in Europa League

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I might be wrong but if both Albion and Marseille draw their next matches, or both win by the same margin, we will still be one point behind Marseille and will need to beat them at the Amex as our GD is worse. A draw won’t be enough for top spot, and we’d finish 2nd.

Eh? If we get the same results in our next matches and we're a point behind them (Marseille) then obviously we'll need to beat them at the Amex to go top, not because our GD is worse, but because we're a point behind them .

If both Albion and Marseille win, but we win by 2 goals more than Marseille, then our GD becomes better than Marseille's, and a draw at the Amex against them will see us finish top.
No, they'd finish top, a point above us.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
All scenarios are quite complicated, but not losing to Athens and beating Marseille gives the best chance of qualifying top, without relying on other results

If we draw in Athens and beat Marseille we will win the group no matter what else happens.

A draw in Athens leaves us on 8 points, even if Marseille win against Ajax they'd only have 11 points. A win for us against Marseille leaves us both on 11 points but we have the better head to head record so would win the group.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
If we draw in Athens and beat Marseille we will win the group no matter what else happens.

A draw in Athens leaves us on 8 points, even if Marseille win against Ajax they'd only have 11 points. A win for us against Marseille leaves us both on 11 points but we have the better head to head record so would win the group.
Yes, that's what I said

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I see the Europa Conference League final is at AEK's stadium in Athens.

(Not that this is relevant to the Albion, obv)

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Injuries are the only thing that might stop us winning both our remaining games IMO.
If most of our players are fit then I personally think we’ll smash AEK and we’re deffo good enough to beat Marseille at home.
We seem to have a group of players (and definitely a manager) who hold a ‘grudge’ against teams that we lose to.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I see the Europa Conference League final is at AEK's stadium in Athens.

(Not that this is relevant to the Albion, obv)
It’s kinda is relevant to us. Subconsciously, they won’t be that worried about dropping into the Conference. An easier competition with the chance to play a home final, not bad for 3rd place.

They’ll be going for a win against us. I wonder how much deep defending we’ll see. It might be win or bust for them.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
If we draw against Athens and Marseille beat Ajax, the final round of games will be interesting:

Albion win: finish first
Albion draw: finish second
Albion defeat / Ajax win or draw: finish second
Albion defeat / Athens win: finish third

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Some of us have booked Athens and Dublin in May just in case 😉
I booked Dublin. (£15 e/w at Betway right now would pay for that trip btw).

I doubt they'll be a shortage in Athens...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here