Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Where shall I go on holiday this year?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Poreč in Croatia (fly into Pula). Stunning combination of beaches, boats, history, scenery, bars, music, restaurants, weather, sunshine, value. Maybe stay on the island at the Valamar, free ferry crossings all day.
Went there last Summer and stayed a 30 minute walk from Porec- little train or boat to centre took less time. Lovely town with plenty to see and do. A great climate- hot but never too humid. Fairly cheap compared to other parts of Croatia. Flight time under 2 hours.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Just me and Mrs H.

Anytime from the start of July until the middle of September.

From unknown cities to the open country - we don't care.

Any ideas?
If I started this thread., curryface would accuse me of not being empathetic to anyone struggling financially.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Kazkhstan will be nice in late August, and cheap. Albion playing there will be pure coincidence.

papachris

I would wait until September if I were you. Everything costs a fortune in the summer holidays plus if you are holidaying as a couple you probably don't want too many screaming kids on the plane or at your holiday venue.
Turkey is always great value for money by the way

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Formentera. A 35 min ferry ride from Ibiza, but the polar opposite. No buildings over 4 storeys, amazing restaurants, beaches and scenery. Perfect for couples, but not much for kids. Even though it’s a Spanish island, the tourists are 90% from Italy. No bars to speak of apart from those in the hotels and hostels, but the restaurants are some of the best we’ve ever eaten in albeit pretty expensive. We book through Astbury Formentera https://formentera.co.uk for Hotels, apartments of villas.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Tried Funchal in Madeira in September a few years back. Expected it to be fairly dull (somebody else booked it) but it was actually pretty decent. Banana plantations in the middle of town, a Ronaldo museum the size of an aircraft hangar, cable-cars, that thing where you slide down the streets in a basket, fantastic markets full of eighteen different kinds of mango and evil-looking fish, some very decent craft beers. Oh, and port. And cake. Supposed to be some decent hiking in the north of the island. Suffers a little bit from an influx of cruise ships in the earlier part of the day, but the hordes are easily avoidable. Really enjoyed it
I loved Funchal, been a couple of times. The levada walks up in the mountains are brilliant. Loads of options for day trips around the island, if you hire a car (public transport outside Funchal is shit). There's one bit of Funchal where they chuck all the Brits, as long as you avoid that it's brilliant.

Similar theory in Malta, there's a bit in the North where they chuck all the Brits, as long as you avoid that it's brilliant! Loved the history in Valletta, its super easy to get around the island on buses as well. Would love to go back at some point.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A few more details required…
If money and time no object then a tour of Vietnam, combined with Singapore. Having done all that already and having no more interest in flying anywhere we are off to the Lake District for some fresh water swimming and beer gardens.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The Algarve. Avoid Albufeira.
Beaches, bars, restaurants, bike rentals, boat trips. Not expensive at all by Western European standards. Personally, I love Vilamoura (that's why I live here) but there are other more "authentic" beach towns.
Avoid July and August.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If I started this thread., curryface would accuse me of not being empathetic to anyone struggling financially.
1679846896751.gif

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Tried Funchal in Madeira in September a few years back. Expected it to be fairly dull (somebody else booked it) but it was actually pretty decent. Banana plantations in the middle of town, a Ronaldo museum the size of an aircraft hangar, cable-cars, that thing where you slide down the streets in a basket, fantastic markets full of eighteen different kinds of mango and evil-looking fish, some very decent craft beers. Oh, and port. And cake. Supposed to be some decent hiking in the north of the island. Suffers a little bit from an influx of cruise ships in the earlier part of the day, but the hordes are easily avoidable. Really enjoyed it
I concur with this, went one year on a last minute deal, liked it so much and went the following year.
Lovely place.

Last edited:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
@DavidinSouthampton Santander is a pretty town, with great seafood in the Dock area (the best place from memory, was called La Gaviota (Seagull, in Spanish) so you'll be at home there. The coast is rugged with coves and a few big beaches ( think Cornwall with better cider). Liencres west of Santander had motorhome parking when I was there last. The mountains, a few miles inland are spectacular east of the official Picos (which can be a bit crowded). There are some fantastic neolithic caves with paintings.

There are some ugly bits around Gijon - but bear in mind this was / is the industrial bit of Spain - where coal mines and steel industry is based.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Short haul - Gothenburg, Sweden or Bologna, Italy

Long haul - Salvador, Brazil or Cartagena, Colombia

Domestic - Northumberland or Highlands and Islands

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here