Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Where on earth can I have lunch on Saturday

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's going to rain, there'll be loads of no-shows, the restaurateurs will love you and welcome you with open arms!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Streets cafe in the Open Market. It's nothing special but it's open and you have some cover against the elements if it turns nasty.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Since reopening everywhere that takes bookings has been booked weeks in advance. On the seafront, Murmur and Riddle & Finns are not taking bookings, so you just need to be there promptly when they open. They may be a bit too grown-up for the kids but I thought I'd mention it for the benefit of others reading the thread. Less formally (but less central) Rockwater in Hove is also open for walk-ins only for food served from their shacks: https://rockwater.uk/food-and-drink/

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
La Choza in the North Laine don't take bookings but will take your number and call you when they have a table ready if you don't mind a quick mooch whilst waiting, they usually call within 20/30 minutes but you might want to be there promptly at 12. Also you have Fatto A Mano in the area so you could try there as they have added tables recently.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I met some friends for lunch at OHSO on the seafront last Sunday.

Had a very pleasant bowl of mussels , whilst listening to some live music going on.

Plenty of families there. Though was lucky that the sun was out.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
La Choza in the North Laine don't take bookings but will take your number and call you when they have a table ready if you don't mind a quick mooch whilst waiting, they usually call within 20/30 minutes but you might want to be there promptly at 12. Also you have Fatto A Mano in the area so you could try there as they have added tables recently.

Remember to give us in update and review the establishment [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shelter Hall - only just opened which may or may not work in your favour.

Walk-ins welcome, they say - https://www.shelterhall.co.uk

For all my childish ranting further up this thread about the merits of picnic v sit-down meal on the seafront, I was invited to a walk-in birthday lunch at Shelterhall yesterday. Here's me observations:

1. Although walk-ins are accepted, you're highly unlikely to be able to just, er, walk in, especially if the sun is shining. Instead you'll be invited to provide a mobile number for a 'wait list'. When your turn comes round you'll then have 15 minutes
to confirm or decline your place. Not a great hardship, as the Fortune of War next door has built an impressively large outdoor space in which to have a few drinks while you wait

2.Shelterhall has I think 7 seperate local restaurants under one roof. We choose Crabshack (the Worthing one, complete with currently in residence the folks that run the original Crabshack). The servers let you know that you can mix n match from the 7 restaurants, but warn you that if you do that, the 7 kitchens work independently so the food from each may arrive at different times. The crab is gorgeous btw

3. The toilets are upstairs to the left. Unless you are armed with this in formation you'll have to ask tho as there are no signs whatsoever on the ground level :facepalm:. It's also moderately disorientating as the exit from the urinals leads directly into a completely unisex area which needs a double-take first time as you'll swear you took a wrong turning

In summary, Shelterhall is moderately chaotic, but thoroughly enjoyable, tho maybe not for those on a strict timetable. Relax and enjoy!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Both are very good ...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
We need live updates.

Where are the OP and his family eating? Who’s having what? Are you under cover or getting wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
We need live updates.

Where are the OP and his family eating? Who’s having what? Are you under cover or getting wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the cafe underneath the i360 in the end. Walked in at 2pm, they had a table for 5. Between us, we shared a burger and chips, a buddha bowl, a chorizo Scotch Egg, fish goujons and chips, soft drinks, and ice creams for the kids. Pretty good (once the rain had finished). It cost us £49.95.

(For context, I haven't lived in Brighton for 20 years, and until yesterday hadn't visited for over a YEAR)

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fridat view from upstairs at gloriously shambolic Shelter Hall

IMG_20210502_151338.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210502_151338.jpg
    IMG_20210502_151338.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 24

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here