Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is the warmth this year. Global warming ..... Hmm

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Saturday was nice but wtf happened yesterday??

Papa Lazarou said it was nice but in Worthing it was actually cold and windy. This annoying sea mist is happening too often for my liking.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Good lord not this again. The globe refers to the whole world. How can the weather being carp in Sussex be referred to as global cooling?

true. however the environmentalists spent an awfull lot of time, best part of the 90's and early 00's, selling us the "global warming" message. can hardly be surprised that people haven't made the switch to their new brand "climate change". and when the prophecies of oceans rising meters drowning islands and lowlands, while the south of England sweating under meditteranian heat etc., doesnt come to pass, one can hardly be surprised that people don't buy in to new fear either.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The weather was Lovely here in my new home of Hampton Court. Absolute stunner of a day, walk along the Thames in blazing sunshine followed by bbq and pub garden til gone midnight in shorts. Brighton fog is a distant memory.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Papa Lazarou said it was nice but in Worthing it was actually cold and windy. This annoying sea mist is happening too often for my liking.

Beautiful day yesterday in mid sussex, but could see the cloud/fog hanging around over the downs and by late afternoon cooler air had moved north. London was apparently scorchio.

Forecast for next week has temperatures in the upper 20s.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

It Durrington it was mainly sunny, but I could see to the south a band of fog, which did come over us late afternoon. It's always a risk at this time of year, especially as the sea temps are lower than usual, following the cold winter. When I was a kid I lived on Shoreham Beach, and we has numerous days shrouded in sea fog, when just inland it was glorious.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Beautiful day yesterday in mid sussex, but could see the cloud/fog hanging around over the downs and by late afternoon cooler air had moved north. London was apparently scorchio.

Forecast for next week has temperatures in the upper 20s.

Yep - Sunday onwards looks hot hot hot.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

I was outside in Worthing yesterday all day up until about 17:00 and I don't think it was cold at any point although it did cloud over.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

We had sea mist too by the beach at St Margaret's - it was like being in a cloud. It was nice two miles back from the sea though.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
So with the 6 month data in for the weather in our part of the world (south coast), the startling fact is what has happened to the heat? I am not asking for hot balmy days, but a warm day where the temperature touches 20 degrees or 68 in Fahrenheit?

Okay June has turned out to be pleasant, but still feeling more like Autumn than the first month of summer.
The only solace is that for the first time for a long while we had a dry month only experiencing 14 mm of rain when 64 mm is the norm.

In 2013 we have had a paltry 7 days of 20+. Even the pathetic summer of 2012 achieved 9 days at this point & 2011 14 days. 2010 was 18, 2009 18, 2008 19, 2007 18, 2006 13, 2005 14, 2004 16, 2003 20 days.
You have to go back to 2002 & 5 days to find a comparison.

Global warming?
More like global cooling here in Sussex!

Still, after midweek the weather looks like perking up.

You'll have noticed it's not called "Global Warming" any more, it's called "Climate change" - this gives them a get out either way the temperature goes.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You'll have noticed it's not called "Global Warming" any more, it's called "Climate change" - this gives them a get out either way the temperature goes.

Both terms have been used for decades alongside each other and both mean different things. Global warming refers to LONG TERM GLOBAL rising temperature changes and not as Foster has intimated 'how hot was it in Brighton today' whilst climate change refers to the changes in the GLOBAL weather patterns that have been caused by increased temperatures, i.e. increase in droughts and other extreme weather events.

There is nothing new about either terms or the way in that they are being used.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Climate researchers on both sides of the argument nearly all agree that the climate is changing and behaving strangely. For example it's a fact the Jet Stream has shifted South significantly. What is causing it is what is disagreed upon. I am of the common sense school of thought that pumping pollutants into our water table, atmosphere and soils with pollute them and likely have a detrimental global effect so I'll err on the side of caution and try to protect the planet as no harm can come of it as opposed to the opposite opinion.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
for those that have not researched it; what you will see over the coming decade is colder, wetter northern europe, and a dryer hotter southern europe.......

the answer: run to the tropics i reckon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Climate researchers on both sides of the argument nearly all agree that the climate is changing and behaving strangely. For example it's a fact the Jet Stream has shifted South significantly. ...

and a few years ago all the focus was on the Gulf stream currents. trouble is the outcomes keep failing to match the predictions, so they shift themselves and the discussion on to a new topic. meanwhile they pump new data into the model which they missed out before. incredibly early weather models on climate change didnt include variation in Sun output (assumed a constant), some didnt include the albedo effect and they still dont include effects of cosmic radiation on cloud formation. fair enough, because its a novel hypthosis around that area, and not fully understood. the point is, there are so many factors and the models are just that, synthetic mathmatical constructions that best emulate within the limitations of the data and algoritms provided. but they tell us live changing certainties based on this, even though the previous prdictions have been wrong. anywhere else in science they'd be told to eff off and start again rather then getting away with a tweek and re-brand. its poor science.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here