Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is the strangest place you've listened to a footie match?

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
I missed the play off final due to being at a friends wedding in Belgium. We drove over 200 miles between Belgium and Dutch border towns without finding a single bar with Sky TV and ended up listening to the match on Radio 5 in a carpark outside Antwerp. I did manage to entertain the truckers with my celebrations of running and leaping around the car park in the pissing rain though.

Where was the strangest for you?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I listened to both Semi matches in the kitchen of a cottage in Southern Normandy. The signal was very weak, and the 1st leg wasd plagued by someone nearby using a strimmer (or rotary lawnmower) which just about drowned out the radio signal with a rapid 'thwucking' noise...

The 2nd leg I started listening to it in the garden (with the radio just outside the patio doors) but as it became clear (at the time) that we were going out I moved back in doors, where the rest of our holiday group were drinking and generally having a merry holiday time. I almost turned the radio off, resigned to the fact that we were out, only to burst out through the patio doors and run round the garden (in the dark) after Virgo's late late show.

I then proceeded to lie down on the grass in the corner of said garden, punching the air.

The penalties were listened to on a patio chair in the garden, with the doors closed... Once again celebrations were performed in total darkness (other than the light of a setting Venus) when we won.

Everyone else knew we'd won though, just from the whooping and hollering that came from the garden.

A truly surreal evening.

Papa

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Also had to try and find out what was going on during a game at a wedding, but an horrific scenario for you.

29th March 1986.

Sisters wedding - okay so far

Wedding day coincided with Palace away - Bugger !

We lost 1-0 - Double bugger !!

SHE MARRIED A PALACE FAN - AAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!!

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
pasty said:
Also had to try and find out what was going on during a game at a wedding, but an horrific scenario for you.

29th March 1986.

Sisters wedding - okay so far

Wedding day coincided with Palace away - Bugger !

We lost 1-0 - Double bugger !!

SHE MARRIED A PALACE FAN - AAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!!

The stuff of nightmares.

Good joke Artois :lolol:

poke

Oct 19, 2003
probably on falmer bridge on valentines day

D

Deleted User X18H

In what was basically an igloo on West Blachington school field hove one saturday in Feb 1987

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Tranmere v reading, if tranmere won or drew then we'd be promoted to the first a couple of seasons ago, in a field in the middle of Buxted, surrounded by horses going absolutle nuts as the result came through that we'd been promoted.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
on a church toilet

(brighton vs orient(a) , 99-00 season)

while at work (asda carpark , hollingbury)
(brighton vs sheffield wednesday (h) season before this)
(brighton vs grimsby (a) season before this )
(brighton vs port vale (h) this season)

Last edited:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
sat on the wall outside the goldstone for the mansfield boycott game in 96/97 until the gets opened and everyone charged and in and when denny mundee equalised at start of the 2nd half i was stood in the directors box! wired

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
poke said:
probably on falmer bridge on valentines day
was probably the best place to be not the best game iv ever seen

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
For me - Edgar Street...

I mean the actual street, not the ground -

what a weird experience that was, being so near yet so far...

At one point, one of their defenders hoofed the ball right up into the air, and as the commentator's saying, "Oooooo, that's cleared the stand", I look up and see the ball dropping towards me...

It bounces on the road and I catch it...

I'm about to walk off with my prized possession, but I look across the road, and see a policeman staring at me...

Aaah; afternoon officer...

I have no choice but to volley it over to him, and get back to listening to the game...!!!

:angel: :lolol:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
School prize-giving day at Hove County Grammar, now Blatchington Mill. We could hear the crowd (about 32k I think) Albion v Wolves in the League Cup in 1969.

There was mass-fidgetting going on during said-ceremony. At the end most of the lads charged across the playing-fields and spilled out into Neville Avenue where the crowd noise was pretty deafening. Managed to bunk into the North Stand as only 10mins remaining.

Last edited:

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I listened to the Brighton v Scunthorpe match at Pissfield on 26th September 1998 whilst travelling in a Rolls Royce after getting married. You should have seen the look on the drivers face when my new wife and asked for SCR to be put on :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here