where is steve gritt now?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lyndon

Nov 12, 2006
steve gritt...where is he now?
the guy is a complete legend and helped save the albion. if i saw him now i would shake his hand.

lyndon

Nov 12, 2006
oh right. it probably doesnt get on with dowie and got him booted. ex-palace and all.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Ooh, hasn't he gone grey? Now then...SOMEONE was alluding to some juicy gossip on here a while back about the Grittmeister but stubbornly refused to spill the beans...

Gritt_S-06.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
lyndon said:
he should come coach at the albion again. that is his home.

Why?

It was partly because of him being useless that lead us to the match at Hereford. Had he done his job properly and been good at it we would never have been in that situation. Yes I know he was under all the problems of those 3 but ultimately he was responsible for how the team performed on the day. This he is a legend bit alludes me, he was in the same class as Jeff Wood and Jimmy Case as a manager.

Oct 25, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Why?

It was partly because of him being useless that lead us to the match at Hereford. Had he done his job properly and been good at it we would never have been in that situation. Yes I know he was under all the problems of those 3 but ultimately he was responsible for how the team performed on the day. This he is a legend bit alludes me, he was in the same class as Jeff Wood and Jimmy Case as a manager.

one can only presume that you have:-

a) had a MASSIVE case of memory lost, and EVERYTHING that happened in 1996 & 1997 has been forgotten

b) you are joking

c) you have gone mental

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
BensGrandad said:
Why?

:thud:

If you exclude results prior to Gritt taking over we would've damn near made the play-offs in 96-97.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Why?

Keeping us in the League having taken over when we were 12 points adrift of the team above us with the worst ever board in control makes those comments pretty ridiculous imo.

I would agree that he wasn't the greatest once we moved to Gillingham but I am astounded that you can diss what he did in the season leading up to Hereford.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember only too well the happenings and goings on of 1967/68 but as I said he was responsible for the manner in which the players played and because he was useless, which DK quickly realised, when he took over, we were left with the Hereford scenario.

I am not talking about the goings on with Archer Bellotti and Stanley but his ability as a manager and for that I would put him in the same class as Jeff Wood and Jimmy Case.

I have certainly not forgotten or gone mental justan honest opinion, like we are all entitled to. So why should we want him here as a coach now?

Oct 25, 2003
BensGrandad said:
I remember only too well the happenings and goings on of 1967/68 but as I said he was responsible for the manner in which the players played and because he was useless, which DK quickly realised, when he took over, we were left with the Hereford scenario.

I am not talking about the goings on with Archer Bellotti and Stanley but his ability as a manager and for that I would put him in the same class as Jeff Wood and Jimmy Case.

I have certainly not forgotten or gone mental justan honest opinion, like we are all entitled to. So why should we want him here as a coach now?

so he's the same as jimmy case then?

errrrm

in which case......forgive me if i'm being a little bit dense here.....in which case, WHY did our form DRAMATICALLY improve when case was replaced with gritt?

gritt was responsible for keeping us in the league, and in turn saving the club...the idea that he is "in the same class as JEFF WOOD and JIMMY CASE" may be your opinion, but it is a VERY, VERY shit one

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
BensGrandad said:

Of course you're entitled to your opinion.

The fact remains though that in 97-97 Steve Gritt took half a point from every game he was in charge for.

If he had been in charge the whole season and produced that sort of return we would have finished on 69 pts and qualified for the play-offs.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
BensGrandad said:

f*** me BG , are you suffering from senile dementia? As others have pointed out ,we were 12 points adrift when Gritt took over, and yet we escaped relegation. How does inspiring the players to make up a 12 point deficit make Steve Gritt a useless manager?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Sorry BensGrandad but you're talking out of your arse there mate, Gritt was the reason we didn't go down. Have a look at the league table when he took charge. His following season was not too hot, but don't confuse yourself with thinking he did a poor job in keeping us up.

As for him being grey I'm not shocked, it must have put a few grey ones in my hair that season.

How they never snatched it at the end is beyond me, watch it again.....
Hereford Vs Brighton

Last edited:

bigfanofcullip

Aug 12, 2003
Cannot believe a guy who secured our football league status is being talked about in some quarters. What he achieved that season (not only from being so manmy points adrift but with everything else going on off the pitch) was truly incredible.

Aside from football Gritt plays cricket in Kent League Division III for Downham and Bellingham. I know this because my side play against his. However I was gutted to be on holiday the Saturday we played against him this year. For the record he's a first change seam bowler (occasionally takes the new ball) who picks up his fair share of wickets and is very economical by all accounts!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
BensGrandad said:
I remember only too well the happenings and goings on of 1967/68

Ah! Heady days indeed.

Finished 11th in the old Div 3,knocked out of the League Cup @ Blackburn,and the FAC@ Swansea.

Kit Napier!Charlie Livesey!!,Dave Turner!!!! HOWARD WILKINSON!!!!!

Legends all..................but absolutely nowt to do with The Great Gritt, I think.

pUeThblionA!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Steve Gritt,
Steve Gritt,
Stevie, Stevie Gritt,
He's got no hair,
We don't care,
Stevie, Stevie Gritt.

:albion:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports