Where is Gus in the pecking order?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Goes without saying that we all hope Gus stays with us for a VERY long time, and he himself has said he wants to.

But as he seems to be linked with every managerial job that comes up I wondered where people think he sits in the managerial pecking order.

What if a biggish Premier league team (say Villa) was looking to take a chance on a manager from a 'smaller' club, who would they contact and in what order?

Lambert?
Gus?
Howe?
Grayson?
O'Driscoll?
Rogers?
*cough*Adkins?

Just curious where people think Gus sits in the scheme of things right now.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I would say right now Gus is regarded as the most sort after manager outside of the premiership.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I would say right now Gus is regarded as the most sort after manager outside of the premiership.

Think I'd agree with that actually. If anyone is going to scour the Championship and below for young, hungry managers who've already experienced success then our Gus fits the bill more than anyone else right now. Worryingly.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Lambert is a good manager, but does not have the south american flair that Gus brings. I think top clubs in the PL would love the way gus tries to play. I do think he will go on to a bigger club in a couple of years and who could blame him. He is destined for the top. He will be Manager of Chelsea some time in the next 5 years

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But as he seems to be linked with every managerial job that comes up

link by bookies and random speculation sites that link every other manager out of work or having won more than 3 games in the last month. i dont think there has been a single substantive link to any vacancy since he's been here. in the spring he outright said he wasnt interested to one (West ham?), and even that wasnt enough to kill off the speculation.

the only vacancy im concerned about is Arsenal. if Gus does well this season and Arsene leaves, he *might* be in the frame as the style is very similar (better CBs at Brighton). i think he wants to see through a project here.

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think more to the point is where would Gus be tempted to go, nowhere in the championshp I dont think...That leaves the teams who WILL sack there managers by xmas in the prem...Blackburn, dont think so, not really an attractive proposition for Gus I would have thought...Q.P.R, think they will come straight back down and a mess upstairs,so no again......I think the big danger club is Tottenham when Harry leaves at the end of the season to take the England job.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
link by bookies and random speculation sites that link every other manager out of work or having won more than 3 games in the last month. i dont think there has been a single substantive link to any vacancy since he's been here. in the spring he outright said he wasnt interested to one (West ham?), and even that wasnt enough to kill off the speculation.

I think that's part of the question. Is he really on the radar of every Premier League team that sacks its manager, or is it just Fleet St nonsense? Quite a lot of the latter, obviously, but I'm sure that plenty of 'big' clubs are keeping an eye on him, all the same.

Also agree that Lambert is probably has higher stock that Gus right now, but his reputation as a top former player makes it a close-run thing.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I think more to the point is where would Gus be tempted to go, nowhere in the championshp I dont think...That leaves the teams who WILL sack there managers by xmas in the prem...Blackburn, dont think so, not really an attractive proposition for Gus I would have thought...Q.P.R, think they will come straight back down and a mess upstairs,so no again......I think the big danger club is Tottenham when Harry leaves at the end of the season to take the England job.
Was a bit of a disaster last time he was there. Chelsea eventually.... cant see spurs going for him

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
No worries here. He's highly ambitious and with us he's in a win/win situation - not really expected to challenge so if we don't he's OK and if we do he's even more OK. More than half the Premiership clubs are too risky for his reputation (end up like Reid/Megson and others) and the top fellas will be looking for way more pedigree methinks

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
No worries here. He's highly ambitious and with us he's in a win/win situation - not really expected to challenge so if we don't he's OK and if we do he's even more OK. More than half the Premiership clubs are too risky for his reputation (end up like Reid/Megson and others) and the top fellas will be looking for way more pedigree methinks

I agree, and I think (hope) he'll be here for a long while. The club that would worry me would be Villa. Consistently top half and probably big enough to tempt him, but sufficiently unsuccessful recently that they might be willing to take a punt on a lower league manager.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think this question is based on a false premise really as the very top clubs don't tend to turn to good young managers from the English league ladder. There are plenty of more experienced bosses out of work (i.e. ones with European football on their managerial CV) who are likely to be considered first. I agree there's a risk of him being poached but until he gets us into the Premier League, I reckon it's less likely than people seem to believe. I'd certainly say Lambert is ahead of him on the list right now - his record is superb.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Add to that, I think it's more likely that we'd actually lose him in the end to a Spanish club which has potential for European football, so that he can build his experience with his eyes on the bigger jobs in future.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,it's the Zaragoza thing that's the bother.He could go there,or become a national manager before coming back to a top Premiership club. Possibly the Albion,eh ?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I would throw Holloway into that list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports