Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This was exactly what I was thinking reading his messages. It makes sense in US sports to look at the ‘rankings’ as budgets are the same (and the draft system is designed to reduce inequality). Sadly in the PL you’re better to look at the budgets, as they pretty much indicate where sides are going to finish. The fact we’ve outperformed this season and Liverpool have underperformed is unfortunately most likely an anomaly

That most definitely is NOT the case.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That is a deliberately obnoxious example. 1. Qatar did not qualify for the world cup on merit like Brighton and Liverpool did. 2. They are not of a similar ranking as Argentina. Brighton and Liverpool have a premier league ranking ONE place different. Are you saying the team ranked 5th in the world cup would have a significantly higher probability of winning it compared to the 6th ranked team? Nonsense.
The press and fans and pundits have decided Liverpool will do better next season as they are Liverpool. Not that they are better but because they are Liverpool. That is what we need to fight, because I told that biased thinking changes they will continue to do better.
What about the 25000 difference in stadium capacity and the respective global merchandising ? Do you not think that makes a difference to relative playing budgets ? (wages and transfer fees). We are not in for the kind of signings they make. We have a completely different business model and it is one that delivers a lower probability of CL qualification.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That is a deliberately obnoxious example. 1. Qatar did not qualify for the world cup on merit like Brighton and Liverpool did. 2. They are not of a similar ranking as Argentina. Brighton and Liverpool have a premier league ranking ONE place different. Are you saying the team ranked 5th in the world cup would have a significantly higher probability of winning it compared to the 6th ranked team? Nonsense.
The press and fans and pundits have decided Liverpool will do better next season as they are Liverpool. Not that they are better but because they are Liverpool. That is what we need to fight, because I told that biased thinking changes they will continue to do better.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It’s been mentioned elsewhere on this thread (by @AZ Gull) that a new contract was lodged for Alexis between Feb 2020 and Feb 2021. The details of the contract are unknown and it went unreported at the time but that would imply he wasn’t out of contract this summer and we would have had at least a year left
I'm pretty certain a new contract was mentioned briefly when we ended his loan to Boca Juniors early. There was certainly some negotiations going on with all parties about the loan recall. Which ties in with the Feb 2020 date.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
When will this saga end, don't tell me they will drag it out until the window finally opens?

Feels like we've been taking about Mac Allister, Dahoud and Milner for an eternity.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It is far from a perfect system either. But the way the pay is structured does make it more competitive than the premier league where the top 6 win regardless. The premier league seems to not be about being the best club with the best team but instead about being the richest club with the richest owner. It is mind boggling that fans of those clubs can get some sort of pleasure out of simply knowing they won as they bought the best stuff.
It's like me saying I am the best Nascar driver as I bought the fastest car made by another team and made sure the other drivers all had rusting bangers.
Yep and not just the PL look at PSG in France (9 of last 11 league title), Bayern Munich in Germany (11 of last 11 league titles) and Celtic in Scotland (10 of last 11 league titles).

Man City are staring to dominate in a similar way with only other oil or state owned clubs likely to break the monopoly. All very depressing when you think how amazing a genuinely competitive league could be. It is very frustrating when you consider how well ran the Albion are we will realistically never compete for a league title.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm pretty certain a new contract was mentioned briefly when we ended his loan to Boca Juniors early. There was certainly some negotiations going on with all parties about the loan recall. Which ties in with the Feb 2020 date.
I know there were reports that we had to pay Boca Junior a fee to terminate the loan deal. From what I remember there was a but if a delay in getting that agreed. There was some questioning of that on here but it was only logical that we’d have to refund some of the loan fee they originally paid us to take him for the season.

Not sure it was ever mentioned we’d given Alexis a new contract but it would certainly soften the blow of him leaving one of Argentinas biggest club if he got a fresh deal out it.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
We are just " the just passing through" club really aren't we.
That's what happens if you threaten the top 4 champions league spots.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
F**k yeah! *high fives*

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
We are just ' the just passing through club' really aren't we.
It’s not new. It won’t change…. for a while.

Anyway, most (maybe all?) of the Big Six have lost star players to Real Madrid, Barca or Bayern Munich in the past decade.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We are just " the just passing through" club really aren't we.

Isn’t that most clubs one way or another, bar Barca and Real. Liverpool, Manure and Bayern have lost players before. But it’s less common. Danny Levy makes it incredibly hard, but for all that trouble they’ve won bugger all, he’s at times had unhappy players making an unhappy camp eg Modric, Bale, Walker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here