Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Wasn't it a four and half year deal from Jan 2019. Expires summer 2023. I never saw an option for an additional year mentioned on our site or anywhere else. Where was this reported?
Is there definitive evidence that the option existed or was in play? His original contract was Jan 2019 for 4.5 years ending now. I don't recall it being mentioned as a year and a half left on his present deal when he signed the new contract in October.

Naylor reported we had a one year option many times.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Naylor reported we had a one year option many times.
But Naylor also wrote in The Athletic that options can be held by the club, only by the player or on agreement by both parties. It may well be there was a 1 year option, but that could have needed agreement by both club and player, or just the player. There may well have been an option, but it doesn't necessarily follow it was able to be activated.

Had that option been activated, I'm wondering why it wasn't newsworthy at the time.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think you are on to something.

Perhaps, a £35m ‘up front’ bid triggers a mechanism that allows Mac Snr to negotiate a contract with another team. The club would then be ‘obliged’ to negotiate a fee they are happy with but clearly, any more fee must relate to add-ons. These could be very basic indeed. Things like 20 appearance, 50 appearances etc. Or 5 goals or 10 goals. We might even get paid on his international appearances? I have complete faith in Naylor and the club that it totals £55m and that any add-ons are achievable and almost expected.

This outcome is infinitely better than Mac leaving on a free this summer. It’s better then Biss leaving on £35m and better than Tross leaving for £27m. Bravo to the club.
I think this could be pretty spot on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thank you - does your family have any pets?

Coco & Misty, twin rescue kittens from the RSPCA, now 7 and adored.

IMG_4325.png

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
But Naylor also wrote in The Athletic that options can be held by the club, only by the player or on agreement by both parties. It may well be there was a 1 year option, but that could have needed agreement by both club and player, or just the player. There may well have been an option, but it doesn't necessarily follow it was able to be activated.

Had that option been activated, I'm wondering why it wasn't newsworthy at the time.

Specific to Albion, he reports that we have the option year.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although you want scousers to pay cash up front, in advance - can't be too careful.

Hilariously original joke, what’s next, the one about the Irishman?

All clubs tend to pay transfers in instalments over years, even major clubs. How do we know this? Their accounts show huge trade sums receivable and payable on the balance sheet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That is a deliberately obnoxious example. 1. Qatar did not qualify for the world cup on merit like Brighton and Liverpool did. 2. They are not of a similar ranking as Argentina. Brighton and Liverpool have a premier league ranking ONE place different. Are you saying the team ranked 5th in the world cup would have a significantly higher probability of winning it compared to the 6th ranked team? Nonsense.
The press and fans and pundits have decided Liverpool will do better next season as they are Liverpool. Not that they are better but because they are Liverpool. That is what we need to fight, because I told that biased thinking changes they will continue to do better.
The bookies have decided they’ll do better because they have the finances to significantly improve their squad and pay much higher wages than most other teams to be able to do so.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The press and fans and pundits have decided Liverpool will do better next season as they are Liverpool. Not that they are better but because they are Liverpool. That is what we need to fight, because I told that biased thinking changes they will continue to do better.
They have decided on history and form which go together. Over the hundred plus years of existence for both sides, Liverpool have frequently (and even recently) won the top league and many other trophies. Over that time, Brighton have won nothing. We have, rather delightfully finished consecutive seasons in our highest ever respective positions. No sensible person would choose to bet Brighton over Liverpool. That is not to say we can't better them next season. We could, but the odds are heavily in their favour due to past form and current resources.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The bookies have decided they’ll do better because they have the finances to significantly improve their squad and pay much higher wages than most other teams to be able to do so.
Not to mention the history, fanbase, stadium, which attracts better players.
Massive club in all manner of the word.

We are seriously punching IMO, but my goodness we are packing a hefty punch.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
To be Fair to American Seagle, I think American sports have pay structures which trys to level the playing field, so that super rich clubs don't dominate every year.
Not really a fan of their sports, but agree with making their leagues more compettitive.
It is far from a perfect system either. But the way the pay is structured does make it more competitive than the premier league where the top 6 win regardless. The premier league seems to not be about being the best club with the best team but instead about being the richest club with the richest owner. It is mind boggling that fans of those clubs can get some sort of pleasure out of simply knowing they won as they bought the best stuff.
It's like me saying I am the best Nascar driver as I bought the fastest car made by another team and made sure the other drivers all had rusting bangers.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Only three clubs we have never finished above in the League in our entire history. Man United, Arsenal, and yes, Liverpool.

Not really a 'sideways move' - however much we'd like it to be. However, I do think it's a move to a 'rival' next season - which isn't something I ever thought I would say.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It is far from a perfect system either. But the way the pay is structured does make it more competitive than the premier league where the top 6 win regardless. The premier league seems to not be about being the best club with the best team but instead about being the richest club with the richest owner. It is mind boggling that fans of those clubs can get some sort of pleasure out of simply knowing they won as they bought the best stuff.
It's like me saying I am the best Nascar driver as I bought the fastest car made by another team and made sure the other drivers all had rusting bangers.
'Big 6'. Not 'Top 6'. We are Top 6!!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
To be Fair to American Seagle, I think American sports have pay structures which trys to level the playing field, so that super rich clubs don't dominate every year.
Not really a fan of their sports, but agree with making their leagues more compettitive.
This was exactly what I was thinking reading his messages. It makes sense in US sports to look at the ‘rankings’ as budgets are the same (and the draft system is designed to reduce inequality). Sadly in the PL you’re better to look at the budgets, as they pretty much indicate where sides are going to finish. The fact we’ve outperformed this season and Liverpool have underperformed is unfortunately most likely an anomaly

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nail on head with this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here