Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That's really not a way to judge the relative merits or potential of two football sides. This is not the NFL or something.

I mean, Qatar and Argentina were both in last year's World Cup finals, but none of the latter's squad would have chosen to switch sides before the tournament started...
Yeah, his argument for the sides entering the same competitions loses even more momentum when you consider the FA Cup! Lewes and Liverpool?!

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
On reflection, allowing the world to think we only got £35m for Ali could be the best bit of transfer business the club have ever done.

We were becoming renowned for bringing in huge fees with massive profits which only makes it harder for us to bring in new players in established markets, as easy to point to our sales as a benchmark cost. The Ali fee redresses that by a fair amount, and must make negotiation much much easier for incoming deals.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Seems like a sideways move football-wise. Must be for the money and making a gamble that Liverpool will be in a better position to win things than Brighton over the contract length. Seems a gamble football wise really.
If that's your definition of gambling I wouldn't get into betting if I were you.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No he wouldn't have. His previous contract expired in 2024.
Wasn't it a four and half year deal from Jan 2019. Expires summer 2023. I never saw an option for an additional year mentioned on our site or anywhere else. Where was this reported?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No he wouldn't have. His previous contract expired in 2024.
Is there definitive evidence that the option existed or was in play? His original contract was Jan 2019 for 4.5 years ending now. I don't recall it being mentioned as a year and a half left on his present deal when he signed the new contract in October.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How can you say they have a greater probability of winning something next year? They have similar chances to us. They only just finished above us this year. You are guessing at what they might achieve, it is a gamble.

That is one of the greatest blind optimism overcoming mountains of evidence to the contrary posts that I have seen for quite a while on NSC. And trust me, I'm a veteran of the Brexit thread :wink:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So, do you think £35M was a good price for Mac then? Sorry, but I don't. Even he/his dad wanted a clause in the contract allowing a quick exit this summer, £50M surely wouldn't have put buyers off.
Liverpool fans also think they've robbed us!

Hopefully the suggestions of substantial add-ons are on the money!
If that is anywhere near the price, then I wouldn't. Liverpool fans can think what they like. But I've no reason to put any weight on the accuracy of anything that Fabri3io Romano writes - and the £35m figure seems to have come exclusively from him - and every reason to believe, say, Andy Naylor, whose job requires him to know all about the Albion. Romano is a self-publicist whose profile depends on getting hysterical big-six fans worked up into a lather. One thing's for sure, Ally Mac's dad will have the big payday he wants from the wages Liverpool will be paying.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If that is anywhere near the price, then I wouldn't. Liverpool fans can think what they like. But I've no reason to put any weight on the accuracy of anything that Fabri3io Romano writes - and the £35m figure seems to have come exclusively from him - and every reason to believe, say, Andy Naylor, whose job requires him to know all about the Albion. Romano is a self-publicist whose profile depends on getting hysterical big-six fans worked up into a lather. One thing's for sure, Ally Mac's dad will have the big payday he wants from the wages Liverpool will be paying.

And seemingly, also getting a bit of hysteria in pockets outside of the big-six :wink:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Had we kept Alexis and if we do keep Moises, i'd back us to be competitive with Liverpool next season as we were this season.

However over the whole duration of Mac's Liverpool contract it's hard to see that we'll be able to sustain the recent success over a period of years.

But I do think that's the case, as 1) they will sell a player they want to keep once every 5 years, whereas we'll sell probably two per season and 2) they'll continually spend £150 - £200m a year on salaries and have star players on £350k per week. Which we won't. And I'm glad we won't

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Is there definitive evidence that the option existed or was in play? His original contract was Jan 2019 for 4.5 years ending now. I don't recall it being mentioned as a year and a half left on his present deal when he signed the new contract in October.
Yes - it was mentioned I think by Naylor. But it was a good while ago so I can't trawl all his tweets and articles as life is too short.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wasn't it a four and half year deal from Jan 2019. Expires summer 2023. I never saw an option for an additional year mentioned on our site or anywhere else. Where was this reported?
It’s been mentioned elsewhere on this thread (by @AZ Gull) that a new contract was lodged for Alexis between Feb 2020 and Feb 2021. The details of the contract are unknown and it went unreported at the time but that would imply he wasn’t out of contract this summer and we would have had at least a year left

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The whole Fab v Naylor thing is very tiresome. If Naylor is saying 55m and reports elsewhere are 35m then you can be sure the fee with add ons is somewhere in between. It's been happening for years.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Can club loses be the saving of tax when it comes to transfers,or are transfers a kind of capital expenditure and are written off for tax purposes over a contract?
Perhaps that is why a fair amount of this transaction is in future tax years….

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Genuinely one of the most bizarre statements ever made on NSC.
He’s a recently arrived American fan I think so will be pretty clueless about the history of both clubs?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Lots of our fans getting upset that we have let our best player go for peanuts.

This isn't the case.. £35m rising to £55m to a club likely to trigger all add ons, is decent money.
Correct. People need to ignore that Fab guy or realise that his tweets are only half the story based on what an agent has told him.

We have absolutely not sold Mac for £35m. 😅

What seems likely when you read all the varying sources is that £35m is the upfront cost, but with add ons it’s in the £55m region that Andy Naylor & the BBC have quoted.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Rising to £55m with add ons. Sensationalist lies from that Fab bloke again 🤦🏻‍♂️ the release mechanism to negotiate was prob £35m and then negotiations started. I’d hang my hat on it being closer to £55m all in than £35m on the end.
I think you are on to something.

Perhaps, a £35m ‘up front’ bid triggers a mechanism that allows Mac Snr to negotiate a contract with another team. The club would then be ‘obliged’ to negotiate a fee they are happy with but clearly, any more fee must relate to add-ons. These could be very basic indeed. Things like 20 appearance, 50 appearances etc. Or 5 goals or 10 goals. We might even get paid on his international appearances? I have complete faith in Naylor and the club that it totals £55m and that any add-ons are achievable and almost expected.

This outcome is infinitely better than Mac leaving on a free this summer. It’s better then Biss leaving on £35m and better than Tross leaving for £27m. Bravo to the club.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
That's really not a way to judge the relative merits or potential of two football sides. This is not the NFL or something.

I mean, Qatar and Argentina were both in last year's World Cup finals, but none of the latter's squad would have chosen to switch sides before the tournament started...
That is a deliberately obnoxious example. 1. Qatar did not qualify for the world cup on merit like Brighton and Liverpool did. 2. They are not of a similar ranking as Argentina. Brighton and Liverpool have a premier league ranking ONE place different. Are you saying the team ranked 5th in the world cup would have a significantly higher probability of winning it compared to the 6th ranked team? Nonsense.
The press and fans and pundits have decided Liverpool will do better next season as they are Liverpool. Not that they are better but because they are Liverpool. That is what we need to fight, because I told that biased thinking changes they will continue to do better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here