[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I don’t think £35m is realistic. Brighton are well known for being hard bargainers, why should we think otherwise with Mac? The club and player had a gentleman’s agreement which must have been amicable to all. £45m would seem to be about right, good for everyone involved.
It is interesting though to see BHA playing hardball with the sake of our other coveted South American midfield star 😆

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Indeed - it's slightly bizarre. It's as some people think we've suddenly gone from being one of the best, if not the best, to a club that just lets our key players walk away on the cheap.

If it helps anyone currently fretting, this is a copy and paste line from an email discussion I had today with someone quite senior at the club "I’ve not seen a number out there yet that properly or accurately reflects any of our transfer deal structures in any way."
Exactly. Has everyone taken crazy pills? Some people need to give their heads a wobble. Whatever the fee and whatever the reasons, TB and PB will have acted in the best interests of the club.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Exactly. Has everyone taken crazy pills? Some people need to give their heads a wobble. Whatever the fee and whatever the reasons, TB and PB will have acted in the best interests of the club.
Are you suggesting we don't need the "Tony Bloom out" Poll on NSC?

Yes it's all gone a bit crazy. Let's get things into perspective. If Argentina hadn't have won the World Cup, I suspect there would be rather more people suggesting that we got quite a good price (whether it is 35, 45 or 55 million),.
I think the Cucu deal, which was crazy (in that Chelsea overpaid by 30+ million) has artificially raised expectations of what we should be expecting to get for our "star" players.
Having said that,if Moises goes for less than £150million, I'll be fuming :rant:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's been 32 years since Liverpool were allowed back into European competition. In those 32 years they have competed in Europe in 29 seasons.

They have played in more European finals/won more European trophies in that time than we've had seasons in the premier league. And that's not including their European seasons/success pre-heysel.

Next season will be the first time in our time in the premier league that Liverpool will not be playing in the Champions League. So their worst finish during our time in the premier league is one place better than the best ever finish in our history.

It might be a gamble but there's a lot of evidence to suggest it's not a particularly big one. Everything points to the fact that one of the biggest clubs in the world will be able to challenge for trophies next year in the same way that it has for pretty much every season in it's 130+ year history.

Between the two clubs we have a combined 19 league titles, 8 f.a. cups, 9 league cups, 17 charity shields, 6 champions league/European cups, 3 UEFA cups/Europa leagues, 4 Uefa super cups and one FIFa world club cup. Guess what we contributed to that list?

I love the Albion, I really do, but Liverpool are a much bigger, much more successful club. It can in no way be considered a sideways move to go from us to them.

That said I understand the frustration. It's one of the most infuriating things to hear a pundit/commentator/journalist describe one of our players as too good for us. Especially when there's a teams worth of players that are apparently too good for us. But. Liverpool isn't a sideways move. It just isn't.
Although you want scousers to pay cash up front, in advance - can't be too careful.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It's funny that we all get so worked up about the fee, when it means very little to us fans other than being able to brag that we sold a player for a lot of money. If we don't make enough money from a player sale then it means Tony has to put his hand in his pocket to get the players we need. I'm pretty certain we wouldn't agree to a deal that didn't make financial sense to us.

I also think there's a good chance that Mac had options to go in January, and the new contract was a promise to stay until the end of the season, get us into Europe, then leave at an agreed price. Job done then.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
How can you say they have a greater probability of winning something next year? They have similar chances to us. They only just finished above us this year. You are guessing at what they might achieve, it is a gamble.
This might give you a good idea.

1000009538.png

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Why? Name a competition they are in next season that we are not.
Despite everyone on here disagreeing with you and giving you many valid reasons why, you are still clinging to the notion that Brighton to Liverpool is a sideways move?! That is a properly mental opinion, even as football fan forums go!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
None. But of the competitions we are in together Liverpool will be bigger favourites than us to win them. And they will be the bigger favourites because they are a bigger, stronger and richer club than us with better players. Football competitions aren't a roulette wheel where all numbers have an equal chance, and it's not the NFL where with the Draft and the Cap they try and make sure that all the teams, over time, can balance out.

And over five years say, (or however long Ali Mac's contract is for), I will bet my house on the fact that Liverpool will have more success than Brighton.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
How can you say they have a greater probability of winning something next year? They have similar chances to us. They only just finished above us this year. You are guessing at what they might achieve, it is a gamble.
How can you say they have a greater probability of winning something next year? They have similar chances to us. They only just finished above us this year. You are guessing at what they might achieve, it is a
That's just betting odds. All that says is Brighton are undervalued.
You are why I love NSC! Never say die spirit, fighting against all odds …. Love it.
Truth is, your just wrong, but please just keep being wrong as I like your posts!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is this seriously a conversation? I hate Liverpool FC, but even I would struggle to argue that a move from us to them is a bad move for any player, they're light years ahead of us in terms of potential and how his career could benefit.

Let's face it, they've had their worst season in 10 years and we've had our best season ever, and come out as roughly equal. That alone tells you where we are as clubs.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

That's really not a way to judge the relative merits or potential of two football sides. This is not the NFL or something.

I mean, Qatar and Argentina were both in last year's World Cup finals, but none of the latter's squad would have chosen to switch sides before the tournament started...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports