Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I suspect it's £35m upfront and another £20m over his contract which is often how fees are paid these days.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
55m with add-ons? 27.5m is half, similar to the fee we achieved for Trossard who ran down his contract and Bissouma as you reference was lower still.
£17.5M is half of £35M, nowhere near what we got for Bissouma, who went for £30M+ and a lot less than we got for Trossard too..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I suspect it's £35m upfront and another £20m over his contract which is often how fees are paid these days.
I don't think so. Transfer fees between clubs are often paid in instalments over time, but that doesn't change what the transfer fee is.

What does change the ultimate transfer fee paid is the performance-related add-ons - appearances, goals, league position achieved, trophies won etc, not to mention any subsequent sell-on clause.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
Even £55m would have been a disappointing figure.

Feels like the positive reaction to Mac Allister signing a new contract before the world cup was a fallacy, as we could have got £35m for a World Cup winner even had he not signed the contract.

As has been said by others, the fee does matter as it's a huge driver for the club to be sustainable and reduce the reliance on Tony Bloom.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Even £55m would have been a disappointing figure.

Feels like the positive reaction to Mac Allister signing a new contract before the world cup was a fallacy, as we could have got £35m for a World Cup winner even had he not signed the contract.

As has been said by others, the fee does matter as it's a huge driver for the club to be sustainable and reduce the reliance on Tony Bloom.
Isn't that entirely up to TB to decide? I am sure he would have signed the deal off.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
My point still stands. £35M would have been the likely price if Mac only jad a year left on hs old contract.
You have no point, we'll never know. The arrangement was made to protect his value before the WC and the club have honoured it. He could have had a shit tournament, fallen out of form and barely played then left for a nominal fee (shades of Trossard, we didn't think it would happen but it did).

The deal will be worth more than that all told through achievement bonuses and a likely sell on clause.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
None of us including this Fabrizio person actually know…

As per my posts yesterday, I felt the reported £55m was £10m light, so £35m is laughable IMO…..

In terms of the whole contact pre World Cup discussion etc…. it would be interesting to balance the contract/no contract value of Mac Allister against Europa League qualification, and that competitions worth.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You have no point, we'll never know. The arrangement was made to protect his value before the WC and the club have honoured it. He could have had a shit tournament, fallen out of form and barely played then left for a nominal fee (shades of Trossard, we didn't think it would happen but it did).

Quoting the supposed initial fee from the agent's puppet master doesn't even tell half the story. The deal will be worth more than that all told through achievement bonuses and a likely sell on clause.
Sigh ......................

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No complaints here. He would have gone on a free had we not got the contract with the clause in place. Sure, now it looks like he has gone for a 'cheap price' but my god we would have been frustrated if a world cup winner had walked out the door for nothing.

Well done again to the club. Go back to the time when we worried he wouldn't sign the deal and this is one hell of a result. Everyone wins in my opinion which, in the world of toxic transfers, is nice for once.

Good luck to him.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Some Albion fans are looking at this wrong way, seeing the club as a victim. Instead TB was clever.

No one knew that MacA would even feature in the WC first team. The manager favoured other midfielders, loyal to the 2021 Copa America winners.
Quite so. There's a danger of some fans being wise after the event here.

Mac Allister stayed on the bench during the whole of Argentina's first game shock loss to Saudi Arabia.

He started the 2nd game against Mexico, but was subbed off after 69 minutes with the score only 1-0 at that point.

The 3rd game against Poland which he started was the game in which he scored the opener. Some might see that as the sliding doors moment.

But in reality, it was probably that first game which Argentina lost which changed his world and Argentina's fortunes.

If they'd have won that as expected, kept a winning team and Alexis had remained a squad player, this situation/opportunity may not have arisen.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The price is only of importance to one person and he can buy and sell at whatever he thinks is market value. We have lost a great player but understand why, no way does the price makes a smidgen of difference to any of us, we are not paying or receiving the funds.

Why the apparent stress?
Football fan ego.
Like you, I trust Tony to trade the player market effectively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here