[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They could of got £70 million and should of , joins a list of players we undersold , Burn who was worth another £10 million ,
Trossard could of got another £10 million for him as well ,
I agree on Burn. Not sure on Tross with not too long left.

But £70m for a player with 1 year left (which is what it would have been)? No chance.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Big increase in wages, nice pot of cash from the signing on fee, the shadow of glamour from Liverpool's seasons past and a potential of Champions League football if it goes well, plus a big profit for a club he has grown to love.

Come on... be real. Can you blame him? No hard feelings from me. Those tears were real at Villa. He's a good bloke.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Seems like a sideways move football-wise. Must be for the money and making a gamble that Liverpool will be in a better position to win things than Brighton over the contract length. Seems a gamble football wise really.
Brighton to Liverpool a sideways move?! 😂😂😂
Name a competition that they will be in next season that we won't be? He will not be playing at a higher level but the same one, that's a sideways move.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Seems like a sideways move football-wise. Must be for the money and making a gamble that Liverpool will be in a better position to win things than Brighton over the contract length. Seems a gamble football wise really.

Name a competition that they will be in next season that we won't be? He will not be playing at a higher level but the same one, that's a sideways move.
I suppose that is one way of looking at it but if you include other metrics you may decide that Liverpool are a bigger club
than us with a glorious history and more chance of winning stuff going forward. They are more likely to be successful than us over the 5 or so years of his contract. Also, being at that next level may offer him a further move to a European superpower.

We must also acknowledge that the likelyhood of us dropping back into the pack and not playing European football regularly in the next few years is far higher than Liverpool's. There is also a far higher chance that Liverpool will be bought by a bottom less put of petrodollars sports washing regime, propelling them back to fight it out for the highest trophies in the game (while battling it out over FFP in the courts).

Don't get me wrong I am enjoying our purple patch and am totally thrilled to see what happens next but let's not pretend we are up there with the big clubs after 2 top 10 finishes. Really his choice is to stay with a smaller club punching well above their weight or join a European superpower who are underachieving. As much as his decision may be about money, there are also several footballing reasons to go too.

I hope to god, we don't forget who we are during our successful period.

Last edited:

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Some of these comments are bizarre. Of course he's more likely to win major trophies with Liverpool than with us. We've never won any, they've won several within the past decade. Liverpool can realistically hope for a title challenge next season, we can't. He'd probably never heard of us before he signed, but you can be sure he'd heard of them. We're not at that level, and we won't be for a long time (if ever).

I love this club, but some posters are starting to sound like Sheffield Wednesday fans.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I suppose that is one way of looking at it but if you include other metrics you may decide that Liverpool are a bigger club
than us with a glorious history and more chance of winning stuff going forward. They are more likely to be successful than us over the 5 or so years of his contract. Also, being at that next level may offer him a further move to a European superpower.

We must also acknowledge that the likelyhood of us dropping back into the pack and not playing European football regularly in the next few years is far higher than Liverpool's. There is also a far higher chance that Liverpool will be bought by a bottom less put of petrodollars sports washing regime, propelling them back to fight it out for the highest trophies in the game (while battling it out over FFP in the courts).

Don't get me wrong I am enjoying our purple patch and am totally thrilled to see what happens next but let's not pretend we are up there with the big clubs after 2 top 10 finishes. Really his choice is to stay with a smaller club punching well above their weight or join a European superpower who are underachieving. As much as his decision may be about money, there are also several footballing reasons to go too.

That's only true because people believe it. If Mac Alister stays and we add to the squad like we are going to anyway we will be pushing top 4. If people decide Liverpool are "bigger" then players leave then their belief that Liverpool will do better comes true. It's completely circular and needs to stop.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Some of these comments are bizarre. Of course he's more likely to win major trophies with Liverpool than with us. We've never won any, they've won several within the past decade. Liverpool can realistically hope for a title challenge next season, we can't. He'd probably never heard of us before he signed, but you can be sure he'd heard of them. We're not at that level, and we won't be for a long time (if ever).

I love this club, but some posters are starting to sound like Sheffield Wednesday fans.
Why does winning a trophy a decade ago mean your current team is more likely to win one next season!? England won the world cup in 1966 but that hasn't helped them win another has it?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

RDZ has been trying hard to change the above mindset. Potter used our past when he couldn’t win a game. Older fans remember the dark days the Amex era fans have only seen success and probably wonder why older fans revert to type. Whilst we are never going to be a super club we can be a top ten regular in the best league in the world. There are no guarantees in football although with TB in charge the outcome of bombing down the leagues is one I can’t see happening he’s way to smart to let that happen.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
RDZ has been trying hard to change the above mindset. Potter used our past when he couldn’t win a game. Older fans remember the dark days the Amex era fans have only seen success and probably wonder why older fans revert to type. Whilst we are never going to be a super club we can be a top ten regular in the best league in the world. There are no guarantees in football although with TB in charge the outcome of bombing down the leagues is one I can’t see happening he’s way to smart to let that happen.
Some of us who remember the dark days aren’t old I’ll have you know!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe but even RDZ was saying Caicedo & Alexis deserve to be playing at a ‘higher level’ than us, so even he knows there is a ceiling compared to the traditional big 6

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Why does winning a trophy a decade ago mean your current team is more likely to win one next season!? England won the world cup in 1966 but that hasn't helped them win another has it?
Let's just get this straight first: Are you seriously asking me to explain why Liverpool are a bigger club than Brighton? This whole conversation is just absolutely mad.

But let's start with the fact that they finished a position above us in the season that's just finished. That was our best-ever season and we all consider it a more-or-less unqualified success, but for Liverpool, the season is considered a failure. Of course a club for whom 5th is a failure is bigger than a club for whom 6th is a success.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Neither - he will get a hero’s reception - cheers all round 100%. Obviously when the game starts we’ll want him to play bad and lose but that’s football. We need to show credit and class back to players that leave the right way and he’s 100% done that.
Indeed.

Save the vitriol for the returning sulkers and tool downers.

Trossard and most possibly Sanchez for example.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

He’s also tripling his salary ! Not many players would turn that down.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
My how time flies in your universe, oh and it would seem simple addition is hardly a strong suit of yours either, neither for that matter is logic. Lets put it this way coming, 6th was a brilliant result for us, coming 5th was seen as a failure for them, we will always face the prospect of losing players to more successful clubs who pay significantly more, they are one of the successful clubs who buy players and pay them significantly more.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That's only true because people believe it. If Mac Alister stays and we add to the squad like we are going to anyway we will be pushing top 4. If people decide Liverpool are "bigger" then players leave then their belief that Liverpool will do better comes true. It's completely circular and needs to stop.

It's true because the reality in which we live and the players play make it true! People (and players) haven't 'decided' Liverpool are bigger than us, people have looked at the different metrics used to measure the size of clubs and counted. It can't stop because it comes down to simple maths.

This is the reason that players are going to leave us. There is no getting away from it and we can think as positively as we like it will remain true.

The truth is that our whole success is based on the understanding of the situation. Barber and Bloom have been clever enough to recognise the situation and find a way to leverage it to drive us forward. As soon as we stop our players leaving when they have earned it we limit the players that will join us in the first place, then the business model fails.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports