Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It’s sad really.

Yes I know who we are bla bla bla but it’s such a shame to see him go, and not even to a team playing in the CL next season…

Call my cynical or fickle but I think his dad has been playing the strings in the background for ages wanting this move and he’s got his wish, Alexis is a very humble and decent human being but his dads actions have been poor throughout, it was rumoured in December time he was meeting with reps from Liverpool.

The competitor in me finds it hard to be magnanimous about this move, I get it, but we’ve probably got the best squad we’ve ever had right now and it feels like we are ripe to the picking of the vultures, losing Mac and Caicedo risks the whole underpinning of the way we play, yes we can sign replacements but nothing is guaranteed.

Football eh….
"yes we can sign replacements but nothing is guaranteed." Nothing was guaranteed when Big Mac and Caicedo were signed as replacements for our previous midfielders. Didn't work out too bad though?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Because he could have had a terrible tournament or gotten badly injured.

Plenty of reasons for him to have signed a new contract that don't involve convoluted theories.

And yet we have a master gambler that time and time again has proven he can get more out of a transfer than others expected.
An injury would have been a problem, but that can happen at any time, having a shit world cup was not going to happen, he was fringe and if he got games and played badly he would have been on the bench. No, only possible to enhance his rep at that time.

We don't have a master gambler, we have a master statistician, but either way, the man that time and time again gets the most out of a transfer fee is doing this deal, and you want Todd Boehly to be the one doing it instead.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Seriously? He is a paid mouthpiece for agents (parasites, pigs at the football trough), he certainly isn't a credible journalist.
A correct mouthpiece though. He has got the sequence of events right about MAC. If he's correct nearly all the time I regard him as credible.

The problem is that if he reported we were signing an 18 year old wonderkid from Outer Mongolia that was the best left footed striker on the planet who had fallen under the radar, then folk would be all over it. Tells the truth about one of our players leaving and he is the devil incarnate.

It's important to remember that the majority of the Q source reports on players movements are either from agents or just made up. I'm not interested in the sources, I'm interested in who is right most of the time. Romano is the best at this, and the only one I follow now.

Sky has printed rubbish recently, Andy Naylor is very after the event (and wasn't aware of the clause in the contract a few weeks back, suggesting that MAC and Caicedo would net us £160m)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It’s sad really.

Yes I know who we are bla bla bla but it’s such a shame to see him go, and not even to a team playing in the CL next season…

Call my cynical or fickle but I think his dad has been playing the strings in the background for ages wanting this move and he’s got his wish, Alexis is a very humble and decent human being but his dads actions have been poor throughout, it was rumoured in December time he was meeting with reps from Liverpool.

The competitor in me finds it hard to be magnanimous about this move, I get it, but we’ve probably got the best squad we’ve ever had right now and it feels like we are ripe to the picking of the vultures, losing Mac and Caicedo risks the whole underpinning of the way we play, yes we can sign replacements but nothing is guaranteed.

Football eh….
It seems to me that part of the agreement that saw him sign a new contract in October, was that his agent could talk to clubs about a move this summer, it has been very openly happening. His Dad also met with Man United, and probably had discussions with others here and on the continent too.
From a purely Albion perspective, it is advantageous to get any and all moves that are going to happen done as early as possible in the window, and allowing his Dad permission to talk to other clubs about Alexis has ensured that this one at least will be done early in the window. Albion also need to clear a path to the first team for all the young midfielders on our books that are of similar or even greater potential than Alexis.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
A correct mouthpiece though. He has got the sequence of events right about MAC. If he's correct nearly all the time I regard him as credible.

The problem is that if he reported we were signing an 18 year old wonderkid from Outer Mongolia that was the best left footed striker on the planet who had fallen under the radar, then folk would be all over it. Tells the truth about one of our players leaving and he is the devil incarnate.

It's important to remember that the majority of the Q source reports on players movements are either from agents or just made up. I'm not interested in the sources, I'm interested in who is right most of the time. Romano is the best at this, and the only one I follow now.

Sky has printed rubbish recently, Andy Naylor is very after the event (and wasn't aware of the clause in the contract a few weeks back, suggesting that MAC and Caicedo would net us £160m)
His sources are agents. Your trust is misplaced.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Having a player who won the world cup whilst at the club is something that can never be taken away from us.

But the sight of Alexis in a Liverpool shirt (and it's not a photoshop) will be a painful one for me

I've got used to it. Case in a Stains shirt, Crofts/Bennett Norwich, Bissouma Spurs. But it probably took until now!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
His sources are agents with their agendas and greed. Your trust is misplaced. They engineer the deals and his exposure feeds the pigs at the football trough, sucking money out of the clubs and the game.
Ridiculous.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The fact is that MAC signed a contract pre-World Cup that protected his contract value at the time (around £50m) had it got to the summer we would probably have seen him go the way of Bissouma.

What we got was a player who gave 100% and helped get us into Europe. Yes, he is going for about £20m below the market value, but overall Albion have done okay. £35 transfer profit on a player who has been immense for us.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
His sources are agents with their agendas and greed. Your trust is misplaced. They engineer the deals and his exposure feeds the pigs at the football trough, sucking money out of the clubs and the game.
Agents do what agents do. I'm just interested in the facts of what is happening.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
As gutted as I am that he's going - and despite knowing for months that he's going, I am still incredibly gutted - I think this move and his importance in terms of the clubs recruitment model will be huge.

He should be the absolute poster child and deal clinching selling point for an army of South American players. We've managed his development and progression perfectly.

From signing him as a 19 year old, letting him finish the season on loan at his club, to then loaning him to Boca Juniors to bringing him to England when he was ready to looking after him so well during lockdown to allowing him to play in the olympics to slowly bringing him into the first team, finding his role in the team to becoming a key player to winning the world cup to letting him move to one of the biggest clubs in the world.

If you were a young player in south America and Brighton were interested in you how could you not look at that and think 'wow, I want some of that'?

I don't think I've been this gutted about losing a player since Bobby Z left the first time round but he's given us a platform from which we can thrive in one of the great footballing continents.

And he won the world cup while playing for the Albion. f***ing hell!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Agents fees should have been capped a long time ago. Romano tows the line for the agents, always has done.
Like in any industry you’ll get the shit and dodgy ones, but most agents are fine, really good at their job and deseve their cut. They work bloody hard and look after their players interests really well which is their main role. The majority of them are not paid the obscene amounts you hear about, there are only a handful who are. Players need looking after and they do it well.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And yet these comments about agents are never made on here when we buy players like MacAllister, Caicedo etc. There is a lot of hypocrisy on this subject.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Naylor says £55m and his Liverpool counterpart says £45m.

Both clubs will be briefing to make it seem like they got the better of the deal.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
The BBC also say 55m but the truth is we will never know so people believe what they want to believe. Not sure I actually care as it’s not my money,

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
And yet these comments about agents are never made on here when we buy players like MacAllister, Caicedo etc. There is a lot of hypocrisy on this subject.
Good luck to him but the discussion was around one poster claiming they only get their transfer news from Romano the facilitator, a very one sided and less than impartial outlet indeed.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It says much that about Alexis that we’re ‘happy’ to let him go… destination is largely irrelevant, I’m just glad it’s not Chelsea to be honest.

He’s clearly one who genuinely attached himself to the club, unlike a Cucurella for example, his emotion at Villa was about as genuine as it gets - especially these days. Yes money talks etc. but I suspect this has been reasonably tough decision for our World Cup winner :/ but he deserves to play at a ‘bigger club’ and there’s no denying that’s where he’s going.

I’m not sad as such, it’s the way our model works … it’s become a kind of numb experience of grim yet realistic acceptance.

I wish him luck and I’m pretty sure he’ll not be getting booed by anyone when he does return. Speaks volumes.

Good luck Alexis.

I doubt we’ll see another player of his quality or person of his calibre for a while 😭

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
His sources are agents with their agendas and greed. Your trust is misplaced. They engineer the deals and his exposure feeds the pigs at the football trough, sucking money out of the clubs and the game

You're being fed a pro-agent and pro-transfer agenda where the leaks are often intentional with the goal of moving players and profiting from transfers. He's in the transfer business itself rather than "journalism".

You seem to be mixing morals with accuracy.

He is very accurate. How they accuracy comes about is a different topic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here