[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This sounds rather definitive.

"But Barber was quick to quash those rumours, and revealed none of Brighton’s stars have ‘big club’ exit clauses written into their contracts."

The rumour he quashed was regarding Caicedo. If there is a clause, it probably doesn't say 'big club', so Barber would still be correct. We did have a clause for Aaron Mooy (and yes I know why).

As said previously, why would one be needed when the club allows players to speak to these clubs
One would be needed because the player wouldn't sign an extension without one. Allowing a player to speak to another club doesn't allow them to go if we reject a bid for them, and while we don't have a history of rejecting high bids, we could reject say £60m for Alexis and if no one offered more he'd be stuffed.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but given our policy has always been to allow players to speak to and move onto bigger clubs if there is interest the concept of a "release clause" is completely unnecessary within our transfer model.
That's incorrect, as above.

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Liverpool Edge Closer to MacAllister deal

It is understood that Liverpool, having agreed personal terms with the player, are finalising the last remaining details of the transfer of Alistair MacAllister with a medical due in the next couple of days.

= No news whatsoever, not a sausage, zilch, nowt :wink:
Alistair MacAllister :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On the contrary, if there was a release clause I believe we’d already have seen Mac paraded at Anfield, much as Joao Pedro was unveiled by us prior to the window. The FACT we haven’t suggests nothing agreed yet between the clubs, as per AN.
If there is a release clause, then Liverpool don't have to agree anything with us. They can agree with Alexis, he can have a medical, and then they can make us an offer we can't refuse (with no harm to animals).

There is an awful lot of confidence about this transfer, as well as acceptance from our club that he's leaving, for there to be no such clause.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hey?
You're saying it's a club policy to allow players to speak to/move to bigger clubs. I'm saying we denied Moises a move to Arsenal.
We also denied Cuckoo moving to City last summer, as they didn't offer what we thought he was worth. Chelsea then offered enough, so he went.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's up in Liverpool having a medical today or tomorrow, and Naylor is pedantically repeating 'nothing has been agreed between the clubs', which could well be correct.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's up in Liverpool having a medical today or tomorrow, and Naylor is pedantically repeating 'nothing has been agreed between the clubs', which could well be correct.
He’s in Miami at the moment, and will be off to Argentina end of this week - medical will be in the US I’d imagine.

I do find it bizarre so many of our fans appear to be dying on a hill seemingly in denial about this still. Sure the mechanics might not be 100%, but if the end result is he joins Liverpool everyone looks a bit silly

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The rumour he quashed was regarding Caicedo. If there is a clause, it probably doesn't say 'big club', so Barber would still be correct. We did have a clause for Aaron Mooy (and yes I know why).

He said it in regards to our star players.

One would be needed because the player wouldn't sign an extension without one. Allowing a player to speak to another club doesn't allow them to go if we reject a bid for them, and while we don't have a history of rejecting high bids, we could reject say £60m for Alexis and if no one offered more he'd be stuffed.

So people believe that our club would sign up to a contract that would severely restrict how much we could gain from an asset?

Does that sounds like the Bloom way?

Do people really think Tony would take massive unders for one of our star players? That we'd limit the amount of money we could receive without a single negotiation taking place.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
He’s in Miami at the moment, and will be off to Argentina end of this week - medical will be in the US I’d imagine.

I do find it bizarre so many of our fans appear to be dying on a hill seemingly in denial about this still. Sure the mechanics might not be 100%, but if the end result is he joins Liverpool everyone looks a bit silly

Nobody is saying he's not going there. Our fans are simply calling out the bullshit surrounding it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

So people believe that our club would sign up to a contract that would severely restrict how much we could gain from an asset?

Do people really think Tony would take massive unders for one of our star players? That we'd limit the amount of money we could receive without a single negotiation taking place.
Let’s reverse the question - why are we selling at all? He signed a new deal a few months ago, he’s one of our most used players and seemingly the club and RDZ were talking him up leaving 5 games before the end of the season.

Why are we not holding out for a bidding war, Liverpool interest was reported back in March

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

I love the blind loyalty of it all. Right up until the last minute. We are nuts, football supporters. Same with 'bigger' clubs supporters going cuckoo when we turn down a bid or a player goes to a rival team. We just can't be rational in anyway. Even when, this week, the club confirm Mac is gone, the fee is lower than we'd hoped, and that there was some kind of exit clause that for whatever reason Liverpool have met, supporters will be denying it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's silly to not trust our people over some grifter journos.

How can you trust our people who are seemingly offloading players before the season had even finished and no negotiations / agreement has taken place according to Andy Naylor

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Let’s reverse the question - why are we selling at all? He signed a new deal a few months ago, he’s one of our most used players and seemingly the club and RDZ were talking him up leaving 5 games before the end of the season.

Why are we not holding out for a bidding war, Liverpool interest was reported back in March
Why has there not been an actual bid? Why would Romano etc go down the clause route and not the 'Liverpool have made an opening bid if x million'?
Why are other clubs (definitely Chelsea) not being linked?
Why has it happened so quickly?
How is he talking to them without a final bid being accepted?
Why are we not trying to create a bidding war?
Why is this so different to a normal transfer?
Those in denial can't answer these questions.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

His previous contract was due to expire now wasn't it, until he signed the extension in Oct.

So what people need to remember is that Alexis could have refused to sign the extension and the club would be getting nothing now. So in order to secure value the contract extension Brighton offered Alexis last Oct had to have enough sugar coating that Alexis signed it therefore ensuring we get something for him.

I have no idea what that sugar coating is, but when you say 'limiting the amount of money we could receive', you could argue it was maximising a return that could have been zero had he not signed the extension.

Talksport and others may say we're letting him go for a steal at £45m if he was to go for that, but that may have been a smart move to actually ensure we got something for him.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

We are selling because we have a policy of letting players move onto bigger clubs when they have done as we asked.

We were never going to deny him a move to one of those clubs.

This is no different to the Ben White deal. Gave us the season and then didn't stand in the way of a bigger move.

So why then would we limit ourselves to how much we can get for him via negotiations? Does that seem like how we know we operate?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We are selling because we have a policy of letting players move onto bigger clubs when they have done as we asked.

We were never going to deny him a move to one of those clubs.

This is no different to the Ben White deal. Gave us the season and then didn't stand in the way of a bigger move.

So why then would we limit ourselves to how much we can get for him via negotiations? Does that seem like how we know we operate?
Why are we not waiting for other clubs to come in to drive up the price. Liverpool is probably the worst of the big 6 for paying large transfer fees (some exceptions of course)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports