Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Naylor did come into his own during the Arsenal-Caicedo drama in January. The mainstream media and usual suspects such as Romano were seemingly being briefed by Arsenal/Caicedo’s agent that the transfer was a near cert. So it was fkn amazing when Naylor said we definitely weren’t selling, full stop. Obviously briefed by the Albion, they only trusted him.
Which is why I now like him quite a bit, BUT, I do not agree with his Potter love.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Naylor did come into his own during the Arsenal-Caicedo drama in January. The mainstream media and usual suspects such as Romano were seemingly being briefed by Arsenal/Caicedo’s agent that the transfer was a near cert. So it was fkn amazing when Naylor said we definitely weren’t selling, full stop. Obviously briefed by the Albion, they only trusted him.
Yep, he's like a stopped clock, but in calendar form - he's right once a year.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Any player looking to move from one English team to another as a free agent can only open talks after entering the final month of their previous contract – with that effectively delaying discussions until any given season has come to a close.'
...unless, of course, their current club has the good grace to allow them to leave on sensible terms - I would hope (and expect) that the Albion would be such a club.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
...unless, of course, their current club has the good grace to allow them to leave on sensible terms - I would hope (and expect) that the Albion would be such a club.

Exactly, thats what I was getting at. That perhaps we have a decent working relationship with Liverpool and they have also been fair to one of their own long standing players.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's amazing all of the gimps online believe anything they read by that FR cock and think it's true. He was signing today apparently, well, quite clearly NOT. I've accepted he is going and will miss him, but we are so well placed with MD and JL coming into the fray. Caicedo concerns me a little.
I've reached the point where it's only the much maligned Romano who I look up.

Andy Naylor is mostly an after the event journalist with the odd nugget (I've cancelled my Athletic subscription as cheap as it was) and everything else is pretty much hopeful speculation. I can't understand how folk spend so much time desperate to be seen as 'ITK'

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's amazing all of the gimps online believe anything they read by that FR cock and think it's true. He was signing today apparently, well, quite clearly NOT. I've accepted he is going and will miss him, but we are so well placed with MD and JL coming into the fray. Caicedo concerns me a little.

But I don’t believe Sky Sports in the gossip stages either. I remember just one example where that twat Kaveh was adamant that Sancho was as good as a Manure player for £91m, a done deal. As the last hours of the window approached he became increasingly red-faced as it became apparent that Dortmund had no intention of selling him and never had. Kaveh was furious with Dortmund. :wanker:

Sancho moved one year later.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So where are we:

What's the best source so far, do we believe there's a release clause, and if so is it specific to Liverpool?

I've reached the point where it's only the much maligned Romano who I look up.

Andy Naylor is mostly an after the event journalist with the odd nugget (I've cancelled my Athletic subscription as cheap as it was) and everything else is pretty much hopeful speculation. I can't understand how folk spend so much time desperate to be seen as 'ITK'
Yeah, I really don't understand it AT ALL. Andy Naylor is actually good tbf.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's amazing all of the gimps online believe anything they read by that FR cock and think it's true. He was signing today apparently, well, quite clearly NOT. I've accepted he is going and will miss him, but we are so well placed with MD and JL coming into the fray.

Indeed.

The amount of people in this thread still spouting "release cause" even though Barber is on record saying we don't do that shows how these nonsense rumours spread so easily.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Why would Naylor know anything? Do you really think he's constantly briefed by the club? The only leaks come from agents.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Indeed.

The amount of people in this thread still spouting "release cause" even though Barber is on record saying we don't do that shows how these nonsense rumours spread so easily.
There is a clause. Call it whatever you want..exit, minimum fee, release. Doesn't matter, this transfer has proven there is. Unless you think we'd sell Mac to the first bidder for the cheapest price.
Really don't get why people are so adamant to deny it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed.

There's a quote from Barber earlier in the thread where he says we prefer not to etc, not that we never have.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is a clause. Call it whatever you want..exit, minimum fee, release. Doesn't matter, this transfer has proven there is. Unless you think we'd sell Mac to the first bidder for the cheapest price.

You may be right, but when you say 'this transfer has proven' there is a clause, the transfer isn't done yet is it? Do we know for a fact that the fee is £50m ish?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What was the end date for his contract pre world cup?

Ok, so to answer my own question (as the rest of you failed), he was only contracted until June 24. So we wouldn't necessarily get a lot for him this summer, and it seems he only signed a new contract in October, on the basis that it would have some sort of release clause.

Seems reasonable.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You may be right, but when you say 'this transfer has proven' there is a clause, the transfer isn't done yet is it? Do we know for a fact that the fee is £50m ish?
We don't know anything for a fact, even when it's done we won't know the fee for certain. That he signed a new contract ahead of the World Cup and January window is a fairly strong indication that there was some confidence from Mac's Dad that he could still move fairly easily this window. Two reporters that tend to be correct about these things have stated there is some mechanism that prevents Albion from haggling to the degree they might do otherwise, but that it is not a straightforward, stump up x amount and you can go where you like type arrangement.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
"Why would Naylor know anything? Do you really think he's constantly briefed by the club? The only leaks come from agents."

Yes he is, and has been "in the know" for 30+ years. The one reason he does not release crap, is to protect his relationship with the club.

I joined the Argus in 87 and witnessed many a badly written rumour debacle, escalate into something legally dangerous and liable, in both regular news and sports.

The sign of a good journo is to protect himself, and his sources from doubt and speculation. As a trusted relationship from way back with the Albion (Even during Vinicombes tenure), if he was to spoil one deal, spoil one released too soon story, he will have broken trust between him and the Albion and would have led him to be a source of information like the clickbait king Romano.

The big difference between a journo who researches, respects and works with actual professionals, against a fake writer who makes money every time someone clicks on his "exclusive - never backed upped" bullshit could not be further apart. But one makes millions off of mildly truthful rumours, where the other fella does a job ethically and earns enough to pay the mortgage and fee his kids.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
There's a quote from Barber earlier in the thread where he says we prefer not to etc, not that we never have.

This sounds rather definitive.

"But Barber was quick to quash those rumours, and revealed none of Brighton’s stars have ‘big club’ exit clauses written into their contracts."

As said previously, why would one be needed when the club allows players to speak to these clubs

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Because you have no idea what the price is or what negotiations are taking place.

People are denying things based on what our club have said.

People are countering that from things people not from our club have posted.

Which begs the question why are people taking what some grifter journo posted over what our Deputy Chairman said?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But I don’t believe Sky Sports in the gossip stages either. I remember just one example where that twat Kaveh was adamant that Sancho was as good as a Manure player for £91m, a done deal. As the last hours of the window approached he became increasingly red-faced as it became apparent that Dortmund had no intention of selling him and never had. Kaveh was furious with Dortmund. :wanker:

Sancho moved one year later.
And that's the difference. All these outlets deal in the cluckbait and make a MASSIVE deal out of any potential big move, whereas Andy Naylor just does his job and reports what he is told.

His source is the club itself and, while they might sometimes be economical with the truth, at least it means he's less likely to look silly when something doesn't happen.

As I've said before, no-one really knows because so much can happen up to the point a player actually signs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So where are we:

What's the best source so far, do we believe there's a release clause, and if so is it specific to Liverpool?
No-one knows :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here