[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
All points above, are complete speculation, based on an assumption, the club have agreed to a minimum price on the player.
This may prove to not be the case, and the current Fibz tweets are Cucurella to City all over again.

I also think there is a good deal more to TB than just being a ruthless negotiator, looking for the biggest bucks every time.
I dare say his sale price valuation algorithm is far more complex than "just squeeze every last penny out of it"
You're wrong. His price valuation algorithm will be used to set a maximum price when we're buying a player. However, when it comes to sales, it's always a case of get the highest price possible. We're not a charity.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My god this is a boring story. Wish this transfer was over already. He's clearly going to Liverpool and I wish him the best, will always love Alexis. But seriously, who gives a f*** whether it's £45m/£50m/£60m or even £75m, transfer values are ultimately made up figures decided on an individual basis and the guys running the club will have done what is best for us whatever happens as they always do. The only people who really care about transfer values are school boys on twitter and those massive fuckin bellends Shev and Solkehol on Sky Sports who talk about transfers like they're reporting on world peace negotiations. Get a fuckin life!

And in the modern PL world, over the course of a season, £10m/£15m/£20m here or there is peanuts. That amount will be made up on another deal somewhere. We'll maybe get more than we think we should on some deals and there'll be others we don't, it evens itself out.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Agreeing with Simon Jordan re Alexis - it just feels wrong

He does like us doesn't he.

I always though he was ok.

Note that even this discussion has picked up on the 45m price tag, which seems to be based on nothing other than Fibz 'significantly less than 60m' quote. It shows the power of social media and useful idiots who'll take stuff as gospel and retweet. Is this the Greg Bobkin effect?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I haven't bothered with this thread because it seems a bit obvious, and has been for some time.

All I will chuck is timing. If there are tax planning benefits for the sale to go into next year's accounts, then maybe that is when it will happen.

There are no tax issues, because the club had £267m of tax losses carried forward at 30 June 2022. Less the profits on Bissouma, Trossard, Cuckoo and Potter.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
My god this is a boring story. Wish this transfer was over already. He's clearly going to Liverpool and I wish him the best, will always love Alexis. But seriously, who gives a f*** whether it's £45m/£50m/£60m or even £75m, transfer values are ultimately made up figures decided on an individual basis and the guys running the club will have done what is best for us whatever happens as they always do. The only people who really care about transfer values are school boys on twitter and those massive fuckin bellends Shev and Solkehol on Sky Sports who talk about transfers like they're reporting on world peace negotiations. Get a fuckin life!

And in the modern PL world, over the course of a season, £10m/£15m/£20m here or there is peanuts. That amount will be made up on another deal somewhere. We'll maybe get more than we think we should on some deals and there'll be others we don't, it evens itself out.
It’s that boring that you’ve felt compelled to write out a 500 word essay on the matter :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Was going to say the same. The 'value' of the transfer has various connotations behind the headline fee figure, whether precedent it sets to the squad, showing developing players moves happen if everyone behaves in the right way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I disagree. I don’t want this to become and Ronaldo-Messi style debate as they’re both incredible, but I think Mac Allister would be more difficult for us to replace.

His greater quality on the ball, ability to see a pass, calmness under (physical and psychological) pressure, and goals/assists make him an elite performer. As well as the fact he’s a World Cup winner.

A perfect example is his pass for Ferguson when he blazed over against Villa. He took the ball from Steele, turned away from a Villa player and played a perfectly weighted through ball to Ferguson, who should have scored. From one end of the pitch to the other in ten seconds. That will be very difficult to replace.

Mac Allister is a truly exceptional player, perhaps slightly underrated by some as he lacks obvious searing pace.

He was a big reason why the Argentine national team transformed into a WC winning machine.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Totally agree with this. Sometimes we get obsessed with how much a player is 'worth'. Becomes a bit of a willy wangling contest. What does it really matter? If there is a clause, and it looks increasingly likely, we felt that was fair.
Same with Moises. Nobody knows how much he is actually worth, it's just guess work on our part. Barber and Bloom will decide that taking in a huge amount of factors. Selling Mac for £45 million is no more going to bankrupt us than £70 million will make us rich.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Was going to say the same. The 'value' of the transfer has various connotations behind the headline fee figure, whether precedent it sets to the squad, showing developing players moves happen if everyone behaves in the right way.
Indeed, if your father goes behind the clubs back and meets representatives of other clubs who might be interested in you, then the deal will be done a lot smoother.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I agree overall, but with an exception.

Where a buying club are foolish or arrogant/the departing player sulks, isn’t it funny and wonderful to see a silly high fee?
Cucurella … I love reading that £56m fee!

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I always though he was ok.

Note that even this discussion has picked up on the 45m price tag, which seems to be based on nothing other than Fibz 'significantly less than 60m' quote. It shows the power of social media and useful idiots who'll take stuff as gospel and retweet. Is this the Greg Bobkin effect?
I think my point should have been the way he rails against the 'entitlement' of the legacy clubs to expect things on the cheap, obvs with Alexis, if he hadn't signed pre World Cup the fact he would now be one season left on his original contact would have restricted our negotataions.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If (and it's still a big if) we allowed our first release clause into a contract, we'd not have put it in for a player that we didn't value. He was only ever going to leave for an elite club, and on the basis that the new deal added a couple of years to his contract, being wanted by an elite club makes him a 60m+ player. Bloom/Barber are two of the best in the business and I can't believe thet would've undervalued a player that was one of our best players at the time the deal was signed.
So why would Alexis and his Dad agree to a new contract before the January window and World Cup?
There must have been some assurances that signing a new deal would not hinder a good opportunity greatly, or he would have sensibly left himself with 12 months to go on his contract and been off for a fee around £30M this summer, or for free next year. Having a fee at £45M, but not in a January window, or late in the summer window without time to bed a replacement into the team, or to a direct rival at any time, would have been something maybe a good businessman would do?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Too many people take the word of that twat Romano as gospel. Then they just regurgitate his crap as truth.
But to be fair he was the first person to report this back in March was it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports