Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sky Sports saying Mac could be going to Liverpool this week.

The fact Liverpool have sold us Lallana, Milner and maybe Ox shows Bloom probably has a good releationship with them too.

Liverpool have not sold us Lallana or Millner. They were both free agents and there'd have been no requirement to deal with LFC at all.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don’t believe there’s a release clause and I don’t think it’s something we do. Unless his father was absolutely insistent and we did it as a one off. I expect the Argus / Naylor to confirm as much soon which often happens on fees.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sky sports is just following Fab’s lead. He gave the “here we go” and then shortly after sky sports publish their article. Their credibility or not is linked at this stage.
Sky Sports aren't short of their own sources inside Premier League clubs - or via players / agents - who can confirm or deny transfer incomings/outgoings. Naylor and The Athletic likewise.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Please don't use the term 'elite club'. They are not elite, they are just swimming in borrowed money. Using the term perpetuates the myth that the richest clubs are part of an exclusive class that others cannot join. First Chelsea, then Manchester City and now Newcastle have all proved this a lie by joining the 'elite' ranks, simply by having owners who could pay the billions necessary to be members.

Describing them as 'elite' suggests that they are the only game in town and encourages the type of thinking that led them to believe that they didin't need everyone else and could form a league with their similarly conniving and dishonest European counterparts. They are not 'elite' clubs, they are not 'super' clubs. They are the soulless playthings of international capital. They are a constant reminder that absolutely everything in sport, in culture, in life is utterly devalued and ruined once capitalism gets hold of it and measures it's worth in purely monetary terms.

I'd suggest the alternative terms 'Cartel clubs', 'Rapacious anti-football clubs' or 'Seemingly bottomless pits of debt funded for nefarious reasons by morally oil sheiks and dubious venture capitalists with dollar signs where their hearts should be - along with Fifa, the most compelling evidence that we're in the tragic end times of the most beautiful and inspirational game ever to have graced the world stage: The sad representation of humankind's limitless appetite for destructive growth and aquisition regardless of the knowledge that it will lead to their ultimate destruction - clubs.'
And after reading that I for one, will not use the term elite clubs. Cartel clubs works, but hey I suppose I support a club in the PL and if that isn't a cartel I don't know what is

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sky sports is just following Fab’s lead. He gave the “here we go” and then shortly after sky sports publish their article. Their credibility or not is linked at this stage.
If they were just following Fab's lead, they would have been broadcasting what they are broadcasting now a week ago. SSN is far from perfect, but I'll bet they've got better sources than just someone on Twitter!

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
With regards to Barber talking about release clauses, he said they TRY to avoid them, which isn't a definitive no.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230420-093145~3.png
    Screenshot_20230420-093145~3.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 65

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why would we agree to a new contract WITH a release clause for a player that was only going to increase in value?

It makes literally no sense why the club would have agreed to that, would have been better off keeping him on his old contract

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Naylor is of course right. No agreement has been reached as there's no agreement to be reached.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
They'll factor in time left on contract, which is why Bissouma and Trossard went for around 30m each. We're not going to be giving a discount on a player just because we've got a good 3 seasons out of him; we don't owe the buying club anything and it'd be terrible business. A player is worth what the market says he's worth.
It isn't about giving a discount. It's the inflated fees we charge for players who we haven't benefitted from.

We tend to think that our players are worth more than they are based on the Cucu/White/Caicedo valuations.
My point is that when pushed to sell on earlier than we would like, there may be a premium attached.
To recover our lost time with him in the team.

e.g. when a player signs, we tell them if you're good enough we will give you the exposure in the first team, that will lead to your dream move.
But we expect 2 full seasons from you, before you go, otherwise we will add more to the fee we will accept.

Seems perfectly sensible to me.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Naylor is of course right. No agreement has been reached as there's no agreement to be reached.
Are you a half Liverpool fan by any chance? You sound like the scousers on twitter, if it’s that simple why isn’t he already gone?

Personal terms have been agreed for weeks according to that twunt Romano

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Are you a half Liverpool fan by any chance? You sound like the scousers on twitter, if it’s that simple why isn’t he already gone?

Personal terms have been agreed for weeks according to that twunt Romano
It's Ocams Razor isn't it?
Nobody has answered my question...if there's no release clause why is there no mention of a bid anywhere?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Nothing I’m just saying why it’s a good deal for us. I don’t think his market value is above £60m. Number 10s are ten a penny these days, if Liverpool wouldn’t pay our price they would just go elsewhere, there’s plenty of quality all over Europe in that position.
And number 10 is probably his least effective position.
I wonder if dad has sought any assurances that is where he will be playing?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nobody has answered my question...if there's no release clause why is there no mention of a bid anywhere?
If there’s a release clause and terms are agreed then why are they ‘hopeful’

Nobody knows, except the club and probably Liverpool, especially not berks on twitter

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Why would we agree to a new contract WITH a release clause for a player that was only going to increase in value?

It makes literally no sense why the club would have agreed to that, would have been better off keeping him on his old contract
No it wouldn't as with the contract nearly over teams would only bid 30 odd milly. This way everyone wins. We get a good fee maccer got his pay rise. He leaves at the end of the season. Simples.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don’t believe there’s a release clause and I don’t think it’s something we do. Unless his father was absolutely insistent and we did it as a one off. I expect the Argus / Naylor to confirm as much soon which often happens on fees.
Given that the contract negotiations in October were over fairly quickly, despite him potentially becoming a free agent at the end of the season, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that we had agreed to a release clause in exchange for a contract extension. It would surprise me if Tony Bloom had agreed to anything below £50m.

If you're going to lose a player for nothing in nine months, getting a guarantee of even the low end of their true value is a good deal. I suspect that Moises Caicedo's new deal was possibly agreed on the same basis.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It isn't about giving a discount. It's the inflated fees we charge for players who we haven't benefitted from.

We tend to think that our players are worth more than they are based on the Cucu/White/Caicedo valuations.
My point is that when pushed to sell on earlier than we would like, there may be a premium attached.
To recover our lost time with him in the team.

e.g. when a player signs, we tell them if you're good enough we will give you the exposure in the first team, that will lead to your dream move.
But we expect 2 full seasons from you, before you go, otherwise we will add more to the fee we will accept.

Seems perfectly sensible to me.
Makes no sense. If a club is prepared to offer a certain sum for a player, then they’d offer that sum regardless of how long the player has been with his current club. Why would you accept less than what a club is prepared to pay? Bloom/Barber are certainly better businessmen than that.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Pretty sure there was a semi-reliable admission that there was a clause inserted but it wasn't a standard release clause.

i.e. we weren't committing to the total value of the deal.

My guess (as posted above) is there is a cash value and then the club will negotiate the add ons on top.
If this is correct the club wouldn't have quantified the add-ons and in the event of a bidding war, could still benefit.
In this scenario, the £45m (sic) would have been more like a buy-in than a buy-out clause.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is going to be Cucurella all over again. Naylor vs Fab round 2.
Might be in terms of release clause, but not in totality.

The MacAllister family believe they have a rock solid way forward with Liverpool. It's clear from a lot of things out there on Twitter of course but it ties up with something someone (not at BHAFC) told me, who I trust.

Equally Tony and PBOBE are giving AN the current, factually correct position from the point of view of the club.

I'm pretty sure a deal is imminent with Liverpool but I also believe AN that, as of now, nothing is concrete at all.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
With regards to Barber talking about release clauses, he said they TRY to avoid them, which isn't a definitive no.
It’s a very un Albion thing. My worry is this was a one off type of clause as his Dad pro insisted and insisted. Or there isn’t one at all and Fab puppet is just being played again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here