Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I haven't bothered with this thread because it seems a bit obvious, and has been for some time.

All I will chuck is timing. If there are tax planning benefits for the sale to go into next year's accounts, then maybe that is when it will happen.
It won't be that. Company losses can be carried forward indefinitely when calculating corporation tax, so whilst we're probably breaking even or even making a slight profit over the 6 premier league seasons to date, there's plenty of loss making years before that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
^^ FWIW I’m not sure that Tweet makes all that much sense. “Liverpool will pay the buyout clause” means not done yet. Might be interesting to see what Andy Naylor says.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It's just a re-hash of all the tweets he's been posting for the last 5 weeks.

If we were to have accepted a release clause being included in the new contract last October, it won't have been for less than 60m. Fibz is just guessing to make LFC fans happy.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011

If we were to have accepted a release clause being included in the new contract last October, it won't have been for less than 60m. Fibz is just guessing to make LFC fans happy.
Why wouldn't it be? It was before the World Cup

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Before all the WC hype somewhere around 55m sounds about right. At the time we thought maccer would be a bit part player for Argentina.

People have just completely lost their perspective since he won the WC and played well in the final.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Perhaps we agreed on a lower release clause on the basis of him not pushing for a move in January. He’s stayed for an extra half a season, helped to deliver us European football and in return we’ve helped grease the wheels of a move to an elite club. We still make a tidy profit on our original investment. Everyone’s happy. Just guesswork on my part though.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why wouldn't it be? It was before the World Cup
We all knew Mac Allister was a class player before the World Cup - and that includes Bloom and Barber. If anyting his form has dropped a little since.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We all knew Mac Allister was a class player before the World Cup - and that includes Bloom and Barber. If anyting his form has dropped at little since.
It's not about form though, it's about value. None of us really thought he would run the show in a world cup final alongside the best player that's ever lived. That made his value skyrocket. Had we negotiated a new contract with him after then I'm sure we would have insisted on a much higher release clause value.

Either way it's another example of the Albion helping a young player achieve a dream move when the time is right. If the time isn't right then it has to be a ridiculous offer. That's the deal when you sign. It's a brilliant strategy for getting young talent to come to us.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nearly 100 PL appearances. Don't think the WC changed the rating of Alexis, but what it did do is showcase his ability to perform in different environments, tactics and such under pressure at the highest level - the WC was like a rubber stamp of how good he is / can be.

Chelsea spent £60m on Cucrella who hadn't shown this high performance level in any other team, hence we were able to buy him. Ben White on the other hand had already impressed with Leeds, then took a big leap forward with us and with international recognition so Arsenal's valuation was a bit more understandable.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
People need to accept that this is going to be a fairly cheap sale and remember this contract was signed pre-World Cup. Rom is a twat but he wouldn't keep repeating this unless he knew it was at least more than likely to be accurate- he can't afford to get this kind of thing wrong, and wouldn't be mentioning it at all if he wasn't sure it was true.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I think we will try to recoup what we’ve ‘lost’ here in the Caciedo fee if he goes. In January it was rumoured we’d be looking around £80m for Caciedo , we’ve sold Mac for reported £45m and now every report I read about Caciedo states 100m.

If Mac went for £65m I’d say that was fair and that’s the £20m difference. All based on opinion of course!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's not about form though, it's about value. None of us really thought he would run the show in a world cup final alongside the best player that's ever lived. That made his value skyrocket. Had we negotiated a new contract with him after then I'm sure we would have insisted on a much higher release clause value.

Either way it's another example of the Albion helping a young player achieve a dream move when the time is right. If the time isn't right then it has to be a ridiculous offer. That's the deal when you sign. It's a brilliant strategy for getting young talent to come to us.
If (and it's still a big if) we allowed our first release clause into a contract, we'd not have put it in for a player that we didn't value. He was only ever going to leave for an elite club, and on the basis that the new deal added a couple of years to his contract, being wanted by an elite club makes him a 60m+ player. Bloom/Barber are two of the best in the business and I can't believe thet would've undervalued a player that was one of our best players at the time the deal was signed.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
£45 million would be an absolute steal and makes it the signing of the summer, who ever anyone else signs for whatever money.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
People need to accept that this is going to be a fairly cheap sale and remember this contract was signed pre-World Cup. Rom is a twat but he wouldn't keep repeating this unless he knew it was at least more than likely to be accurate- he can't afford to get this kind of thing wrong, and wouldn't be mentioning it at all if he wasn't sure it was true.
It fits a narrative that do your time for the club and the club is far more supple in letting you go to the move you want.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Liverpool fans seem to think he's a downgrade on their existing midfield, and will only be a good signing for them if they sign someone better to play alongside him and cover for his weaknesses. I'm beginning to doubt my previous view that Liverpool would be a good fit for him!

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Hope it’s LFC, genuinely think he will progress with the Reds and add to his game, as well as improving their first team.
A win/win for me.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I'm surprised we had a release clause at only£45 million. Has this been confirmed or is this just speculation? We all know he was going but £45 million !

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Liverpool fans seem to think he's a downgrade on their existing midfield, and will only be a good signing for them if they sign someone better to play alongside him and cover for his weaknesses. I'm beginning to doubt my previous view that Liverpool would be a good fit for him!
GT, I have not heard that once.
Maybe some idiots on Facebook but the sites I have been following for years he’s a massive plus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here