Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Everyone wants a payrise, but my point was that I doubt his dad would be pushing for one against the will of his own son, especially when he himself was a professional footballer.
That is just one of several possibilities, that's all. At the moment there is only gossip and rumour, no proof that any of them are right!

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I guess we'll find out soon, but I'm intrigued by the "way less than £60 million" "a bargain" claims.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Still being reported the fee is way below £60m if that is true I would question why we are letting him leave for such a low amount unless someone is coming our way as part of the deal.
Every single time we sell a star player we get a good deal. The evidence of history suggests we get another top, top fee.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Seems very odd he'd be persisting with this. More egg on his face or are Liverpool getting a bargain?

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
In how many seasons have Liverpool been a direct rival ? That just sounds daft given respective resources. Our club has a lot more to achieve, and hopefully it will, but let’s stay grounded. I’m not keen on all these snide comments about his Dad either (not you). Alexis has behaved with maximum class whilst helping us into Europe for the first time and perhaps departing. It would be good for Albion fans to reciprocate.
Oh Alexis has been amazing so far. All I am saying is there is no footballing reason for him to go to Liverpool next season. Both clubs will be competing in the same competitions and, therefore, in direct competition with each other. I don't see how that is a daft statement. Beyond that who knows what happens.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
The same competition this season, yes - but let's not kid ourselves with blue and white tinted specs - with Liverpool he will be regularly playing in Europe, probably the Champions League as often as not, as well as competing for the League championship.
Yes, we are good at the moment, and hopefully will stay that way for a while, but it's just plain delusional to think moving to Liverpool is anything other than a step up.
This is only true because players make it true by leaving to go to the big clubs. It's part of what makes the EPL suck a bit. Players should be made to honor contracts or something. In the MLB players who get traded keep their current contract until it runs out. That way players don't move for money and it keeps things fairer.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is only true because players make it true by leaving to go to the big clubs. It's part of what makes the EPL suck a bit. Players should be made to honor contracts or something. In the MLB players who get traded keep their current contract until it runs out. That way players don't move for money and it keeps things fairer.
Sounds like a good way of doing it. Only really works in a franchise though and would almost certainly break U.K. employment laws.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Seems very odd he'd be persisting with this. More egg on his face or are Liverpool getting a bargain?
It just doesn’t make sense.

When drawing up Max Allister’s new contract there may have been assurances given that we’d not block a move to a ‘big’ club - either the English Big 6 or a continental giant - if the right offer came. These days, any player coveted by such a big club is by definition worth 60m+, so we’re not going to have a release clause for significantly less.

And I remain highly sceptical that there’s any sort of release clause anyway.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I guess we'll find out soon, but I'm intrigued by the "way less than £60 million" "a bargain" claims.

Given Alexis’ comments the other day where he basically said “if a good offer comes along for the club they will evaluate it but until then he’s happy here’’ while Fab is simultaneously saying a deal is done for way less than £60m, I’m calling bullshit on all the specifics we’re hearing of this impending deal. He may well go, and it may be soon, but all this stuff about release clauses and a specific fee already agreed I think is absolute nonsense.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We'll see I suppose. It may be the case that the initial fee is less than £60m but what add-ons will be built in?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh Alexis has been amazing so far. All I am saying is there is no footballing reason for him to go to Liverpool next season. Both clubs will be competing in the same competitions and, therefore, in direct competition with each other. I don't see how that is a daft statement. Beyond that who knows what happens.
There is every reason for him to go if he wants too. Apart from the wages, Liverpool are a bigger club than Brighton. Give me one good reason why any ambitious and talented young footballer wouldn't want to step up to the next level.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You can't fight it.

Some of these clubs have £600m annual income and a worldwide fanbase, therefore colossal commercial income.

For better or worse, football's a meritocracy based on money. It wasn't as bad as this when I was a kid, Derby, QPR, Ipswich for example came first or second in England, without sugar daddies.

But Tony Bloom doesn't get melancholy about these issues. He just plans for us to get better, banking these vast sums and reinvesting in an unrivaled recruitment process.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes. It's clearly complete fantasy. Tony doesn't do "release clauses" and history tells us we get top prices for the big sales.
Is that true ? Was Bissouma & Trossard top prices given their form / record for us ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah they may well say club record or something, then we'd know it was higher than cucurella £62m was it

@nwgull and others can also get an objective good idea from later published accounts. Either in the subsequent events note or the year after that intangible assets note, where the spend on a tiny group of additions in a period is disclosed. There are sometimes other ways too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here