Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
In how many seasons have Liverpool been a direct rival ? That just sounds daft given respective resources. Our club has a lot more to achieve, and hopefully it will, but let’s stay grounded. I’m not keen on all these snide comments about his Dad either (not you). Alexis has behaved with maximum class whilst helping us into Europe for the first time and perhaps departing. It would be good for Albion fans to reciprocate.
Couldn’t agree more.

The one certain way to alienate him, would be to go after family members.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Other than a massive pay rise, why would he want to play in the same European competition as us ?
The same competition this season, yes - but let's not kid ourselves with blue and white tinted specs - with Liverpool he will be regularly playing in Europe, probably the Champions League as often as not, as well as competing for the League championship.
Yes, we are good at the moment, and hopefully will stay that way for a while, but it's just plain delusional to think moving to Liverpool is anything other than a step up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Double the normal sum as he will probably get a fee from the club which buys him, acting as their agent, plus a fee from his son as his agent.
I doubt it given that is against FIFA rules

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Liverpool remains prestige club in South America and always will be.

In the short term I don’t think it matters Liverpool are not in the Chanpions League.

Equally I don’t see a Liverpool being anything other than the next stepping stone with Alexis playing in La Liga within 24 months

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
My take on events is he would be very happy to stay for another year & this is being driven by his father. A final big pay day for Daddy to make his fortune in his own right, before the new FIFA regs for agents kick in in full. Double the normal sum as he will probably get a fee from the club which buys him, acting as their agent, plus a fee from his son as his agent. Soon after Mac signs for whoever expect him to sign up to an agent fully compliant with FIFA regs, certainly before October.
I've seen this view posted a few times and I'm sorry, but it's complete conjecture with no basis and probably way off the mark.

First off, the Mac Allister family are known to be quite well off anyway. From the interviews and features shown since the world cup, Alexis has a good relationship with his Dad and that his Dad has been supportive of him throughout his career. His Dad is hardly going to be pushing for more money for his own personal gain when his son will already be earning huge amounts and able to buy him whatever he wants. If anything, being his Dad, he's much more likely to act in Alexis' best interest than an unrelated agent.

And Alexis is 24, it's not as if he's a naïve 18 year old. He comes across as intelligent and grounded, and more than capable of making his own decisions. If he wanted to stay at Brighton then he would, regardless of what his Dad wants. However, it's much more likely that he will go if an offer comes from an illustrious club such as Liverpool, who have a much better chance of going far in Europe and competing for titles over the next few years than we do. And far more money.

He may well be happy to stay if nothing comes to fruition, but the idea that he actually would prefer to stay, but is being forced to move, is ludicrous.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've seen this view posted a few times and I'm sorry, but it's complete conjecture with no basis and probably way off the mark.

First off, the Mac Allister family are known to be quite well off anyway. From the interviews and features shown since the world cup, Alexis has a good relationship with his Dad and that his Dad has been supportive of him throughout his career. His Dad is hardly going to be pushing for more money for his own personal gain when his son will already be earning huge amounts and able to buy him whatever he wants. If anything, being his Dad, he's much more likely to act in Alexis' best interest than an unrelated agent.

And Alexis is 24, it's not as if he's a naïve 18 year old. He comes across as intelligent and grounded, and more than capable of making his own decisions. If he wanted to stay at Brighton then he would, regardless of what his Dad wants. However, it's much more likely that he will go if an offer comes from an illustrious club such as Liverpool, who have a much better chance of going far in Europe and competing for titles over the next few years than we do. And far more money.

He may well be happy to stay if nothing comes to fruition, but the idea that he actually would prefer to stay, but is being forced to move, is ludicrous.
Being 'quite well off' doesn't preclude chasing the money! All PL footballers - even at the 'smaller' clubs - are 'quite well off'; rather more than 'quite well off' really.
Besides, the more money people have, the more desperate they seem to become for even more money - hence multi-millionaire footballers going off to play noddy-football in Saudi Arabia.
I have absolutely no idea if Alexis' dad is chasing a big pay day while he can still act as an agent or not - but the fact that he is 'quite well off' is absolutely not proof - or even evidence - that he isn't!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Being 'quite well off' doesn't preclude chasing the money! All PL footballers - even at the 'smaller' clubs - are 'quite well off'; rather more than 'quite well off' really.
Besides, the more money people have, the more desperate they seem to become for even more money - hence multi-millionaire footballers going off to play noddy-football in Saudi Arabia.
I have absolutely no idea if Alexis' dad is chasing a big pay day while he can still act as an agent or not - but the fact that he is 'quite well off' is absolutely not proof - or even evidence - that he isn't!
His Dad could of course be a long time Liverpool fan, if my son was an ace footballer I would encourage him to sign for the Albion :lolol:

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I think the reason some ire is directed at the father is because, while Alexis has been really careful to be respectful about the club and not give credence to any talk of a move away "unless it's beneficial to both parties", his dad and uncle have been talking about him moving away since the conclusion of the World Cup. This has led to numerous articles, which has been a bit unsettling as we were finishing our best ever season. I see his cousin is the latest family member to start talking about the Liverpool move. Everyone will be supportive of him following his chosen career path, but it would have been nice if his family followed his example as to what is made public.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Still being reported the fee is way below £60m if that is true I would question why we are letting him leave for such a low amount unless someone is coming our way as part of the deal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Still being reported the fee is way below £60m if that is true I would question why we are letting him leave for such a low amount unless someone is coming our way as part of the deal.
The provenance of that rumour is Fibs. It’s probably more a case of it just being repaeated a lot rather than any independent corroboration.

We won’t be letting him leave for less than 60m.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The same competition this season, yes - but let's not kid ourselves with blue and white tinted specs - with Liverpool he will be regularly playing in Europe, probably the Champions League as often as not, as well as competing for the League championship.
Yes, we are good at the moment, and hopefully will stay that way for a while, but it's just plain delusional to think moving to Liverpool is anything other than a step up.
It was for me :)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
For my entire xx years supporting the Albion, I’d say there was every footballing reason for any of our players to join Liverpool. However, right now, with RDZ in charge, there IS an equally compelling footballing reason for any player to stay or join the Albion. A preseason for our inspirational ‘game-changing’ Italian should have us ready to take on the four competitions we are in. MacAllister, his dad, his other advisors and Caicedo’s and Colwill’s all know that Brighton are a seriously competitive side. BUT we cannot/will not pay top 4-6 salaries. We are (on our day) the equal of every side in this division.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
He is a lovely player to watch, smashing lad too. I was emotional clapping his emotion at VP.

But, I don't think he is good enough for City. Final ball and shooting not reliable enough. Can get caught in possession. Liverpool is a done deal. He may be good enough for them, but it's not guaranteed. Good luck to the lad. He will always be our World Cup winner.
I agree , he would be expected to score more goals if he played for city . Maybe he would , but his shooting needs to improve , too many seem to be in the middle of the goal giving the keeper more chances to save the shot . Apart from that he’s the full package but standards at city are super high .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

I agree , the other big issue is salary , I think we are around 15th in the PL for that. Paul Barbers salary however is in the top 3 in the PL & not far behind the other 2 . Hence it’s unlikely he will leave despite all his awards and stellar reputation.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It seems to me that some sort of agreement was made prior to the World Cup, that allowed the club to get a new contract agreed. I don't think it is a straightforward release clause, but it may be something like that all conditions for release are met, if fee is kept confidential, occurs in the first 10 days of transfer window, is not to a club we consider a direct rival (i.e. a club outside of the big 6 in the Premier League), and is above x millions, or some other factors that the club deemed were fair to have and protected their interests beyond just getting a big enough fee.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Everyone wants a payrise, but my point was that I doubt his dad would be pushing for one against the will of his own son, especially when he himself was a professional footballer.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The provenance of that rumour is Fibs. It’s probably more a case of it just being repaeated a lot rather than any independent corroboration.

We won’t be letting him leave for less than 60m.
You don't know that anymore than any other person outside of his agents or the club.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Everyone wants a payrise, but my point was that I doubt his dad would be pushing for one against the will of his own son, especially when he himself was a professional footballer.
Indeed. He is there to represent his son’s interests. A lot of fans (not the poster to whom you replied) cannot reconcile their hero worship of a player with the fact they may wish to leave. To reconcile those feelings they blame the agents. It is convenient for players not to set the record straight, as we saw in the Caicedo saga. MacAllister’s Dad being his agent somewhat protects him from the worst of the vitriol but it doesn’t stop some. The bottom line is that players employ agents. We might not like them but until players stop employing them they will have to be worked with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here