[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
Such a strange amount. it is €80m, but why would 2 British clubs arrange a fee in Euros.
I have a bit of OCD but even I can see that rounding to the nearest £100,000 isn't 'strange'!
That's what happens when you negotiate a price - the difference between your revised offers gets smaller and smaller and usually ends with you splitting the difference.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I have a bit of OCD but even I can see that rounding to the nearest £100,000 isn't 'strange'!
That's what happens when you negotiate a price - the difference between your revised offers gets smaller and smaller and usually ends with you splitting the difference.
I think the question is why are two British clubs dealing in Euros and not GBP. I expect that the answer is something to do with strength and stability of currency.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Obviously your right, but Romano it is a monetary exit clause, when he does not know that, the exit clause would I imagine a Champions League clause.
There isn't one, Barber as quoted.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know I'm probably being a bit naïve here, but when did we get to a point where clubs agree personal terms without permission to talk with a player by their current club?

The clubs agree terms with the agents rather than the players. That's the way around it.

I don't think that's really a way around it. Obviously the agent can't agree terms without running those terms past the player, so while the club and agent can pretend that the player isn't involved, everyone knows that's a lie, and the truth is that they're still breaking the rules.

I suspect it's more a case that it's not worth it for the wronged club to try and prosecute, because where's the proof?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don't think that's really a way around it. Obviously the agent can't agree terms without running those terms past the player, so while the club and agent can pretend that the player isn't involved, everyone knows that's a lie, and the truth is that they're still breaking the rules.

I suspect it's more a case that it's not worth it for the wronged club to try and prosecute, because where's the proof?
Actually agents regularly will agree terms with a club without running it past the player. From the outset the agent will advise and agree with the player what they should expect terms wise and they will go out and try and get it from a club and tell the player after. You’d be surprised how little some players get involved in the process at all.

It’s also in both club’s interest for this agreeing personal terms before bids are accepted to be allowed to go on. ALL clubs do it and it saves a lot of wasted time and effort making bids for/pursuing players/agents who are not interested or realistic

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Actually agents regularly will agree terms with a club without running it past the player. From the outset the agent will advise and agree with the player what they should expect terms wise and they will go out and try and get it from a club and tell the player after. You’d be surprised how little some players get involved in the process at all.

If they 'go out and try and get it from a club and tell the player after' then they have basically agreed it with the player. The agent is negotiating with the club based on what the player wants. That's the same thing.

It’s also in both club’s interest for this agreeing personal terms before bids are accepted to be allowed to go on. ALL clubs do it and it saves a lot of wasted time and effort making bids for/pursuing players/agents who are not interested of realistic
Sure, that could be true. But it's still against the rules.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I get the impression that this is more his father’s decision than Alexis’, he has been promoting this transfer for months. Nice to be able to earn money from your son’s abilities :smile:

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
And I quote….

“I am very calm because I also have the possibility of staying at a club like Brighton who have been with me at all moments and where I have really enjoyed being.

“If I end up not leaving the club I will still be very happy there but I am conscious of the fact there will be possibilities and, if a good offer for the club and for me comes in, we will evaluate it.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports