Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where have all the music subcultures gone?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Thumbs up for honesty.

I never understood the thought processes behind this fashion. It seems the general mentality of goths is to make themselves look as ugly and depressing as possible, reducing the chance of getting an attractive girlfriend or normal mates to zero. I'm not even sure whether they identified themselves with a particular genre of music, as they are far detached from the "metalhead" subculture.

As a fashion it definitely seems a far more rarer sight than when I was a teenager 10 years ago, thankfully.

Continuing with the honesty theme: I went goth primarily because I was an ugly little git with no friends. I was already listening to the screechy metal because I liked it and in my school that left me a bit of an outcast so when I realised that dressing all in black and wearing makeup wouldn't lose me any of my non-existent friends I figured "why not?"

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
This is not jungle. Not sure what it is but seems to be a load of old classic reggae songs played in full the stripped down jungle beat behind. Odd.

it is a bit weird...jungle was the closet analogy I could think of...a lot of clubs seem to be playing it in Europe...plus a few, more traditional soundsystems...

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im a reggae traditionalist so its weird for me..

Used to be a black comedy show back in the day...remember one of the guys asked what he thought of jungle...

'If you cant whistle along to it, its not a tune' haha..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was a punk (I still consider myself one in moments of idealistic, nostalgic romanticism, despite the suit I wear to work) but I had friends who were Teds, Mods, Skins, Rockabillies, Psychobillies, Hippies, 2-Toners, Headbangers, New Romantics, Trendies / Smoothies / Casuals and so on.

All you seem to see nowadays are Emo types, the occasional Goth, Hipsters in East London, and a bunch of prannies with tight jeans and One Direction hairstyles. This makes me feel a bit sad.

Has bland, corporate music and endless karaoke shows on TV killed ‘real’ music and the associated subcultures?

Music's dead full stop. Ever since the smart phones fell into the hands of the stupid people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here