Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where have all the insects gone?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Although a pen pusher, I like the challenge of hard landscaping and fencing. Almost at the end of closeboard fencing 35m, done to last with concrete posts and gravel boards, but with plenty of wildlife holes incorporated. We have 2 BHCC green waste bins, so over a year I can get away without driving greenery to the tip. Old concrete, chalk and subsoil is taken to the tip in trugs. BHCC site workers aren’t anal about that unlike ESCC and WSCC .... for homeowners, not trade.

I think millions of UK home owners have been doing great things in their gardens, I’ve been kind of following this for 40 years when Dr Chris Baines got the info ball rolling. In the 70’s gardeners zapped anything in sight with a deluge of .... cides, many now banned as they poisoned us too.

Of course some other folk pave and plastic grass everything. I ignore them.

I’ve always given generously to wildlife and animal welfare charities. Using the words of Midge Ure ...no regrets.

Unfortunately there is no way I could tackle the work myself. Commercial quotes (my neighbours have got, asking me to cough up half of it) are around £2000.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Does the garden include a variety perennials, biannuals and annuals recommended for insects? 95% of my planting is done with that in mind. Also piles of logs? It makes a huge difference.

3 ponds one of which backs on to a compost heap surrounded by logs to give it structure. Plenty of flowers of all varieties , bulbs, annuals, weeds(dandelions) , perenial, biannuals , shrubs including lavender & buddliea, a couple of trees and tons of ivy. Certain bits are cultivated other bits are just left. I do have insects and some nice ones but i don't think they are there in the same volumes. Butterflies are hit and miss , though did have a a monarch turn up one, have blue and red damsels breeding in one the ponds despite the gold fish. I also have newts, frogs and slow worms the former two have their own ponds , not that they stick to the rules on isolating.

Earwigs are the ones that really seem to have disappeared , i would always remember shaking a dahlia at my parents and loads dropping out.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
3 ponds one of which backs on to a compost heap surrounded by logs to give it structure. Plenty of flowers of all varieties , bulbs, annuals, weeds(dandelions) , perenial, biannuals , shrubs including lavender & buddliea, a couple of trees and tons of ivy. Certain bits are cultivated other bits are just left. I do have insects and some nice ones but i don't think they are there in the same volumes. Butterflies are hit and miss , though did have a a monarch turn up one, have blue and red damsels breeding in one the ponds despite the gold fish. I also have newts, frogs and slow worms the former two have their own ponds , not that they stick to the rules on isolating.

Earwigs are the ones that really seem to have disappeared , i would always remember shaking a dahlia at my parents and loads dropping out.

Butterflies disappear from view in windy weather, which is typical up here on the edge of Brighton. Last summer was an exception, with those long sumer days! We seemed to have Chalk Hill Blues.

Farmers still spraying chemicals can't help. A farmer was doing this just north of the A27 on Dyke Road last week.

I remember gardening programmes mentioning how to eliminate Earwigs from Dahlias

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Butterflies disappear from view in windy weather, which is typical up here on the edge of Brighton. Last summer was an exception, with those long sumer days! We seemed to have Chalk Hill Blues.

Farmers still spraying chemicals can't help. A farmer was doing this just north of the A27 on Dyke Road last week.

I remember gardening programmes mentioning how to eliminate Earwigs from Dahlias

seems to have worked unfortunately. Used to feed them to the lizards that i caught....

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
We're undecided yet what to do as we're still in the process of buying the place. Other stuff to do first in there so the kids will either have to start showering or smell.

Really pleased to hear you are buying it. I don’t know you but have followed your stories on here as I think many of us have. Don’t worry, the kids (and your wife) will soon get used to showers!
Good luck with it all and take your time with the renovations.:thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It has been so bloody cold it has not helped but starting to see Bees, especially on our Wisteria.

As an aside we have Robins nesting in one of our Garden Pots. Had 4 hatchlings last month which wobbled around the garden for a few days - now gone.

They have decided to have a second brood (carefully peered in this morning & they have hatched) so there must be a fair few insect grubs around.

Said Pot is about 3 feet from our front door, they clearly don't mind our comings & goings!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Really pleased to hear you are buying it. I don’t know you but have followed your stories on here as I think many of us have. Don’t worry, the kids (and your wife) will soon get used to showers!
Good luck with it all and take your time with the renovations.:thumbsup:

I shall post a thread at some point in the future but its still early days yet.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
"The declines are far from uniform. In some localities, there have been reports of increases in overall insect population, and some types of insects appear to be increasing in abundance across the world."

It's just the way of things :shrug:

The explanation for loss of car windscreen insect splatter is surely aerodynamics/car design.

Faversham is awash with bees, ants, mozzies and other weird things.

Stand by for NSC's famous 'flying ant day' thread coming to an internet in yoir area, soon :wink:

Would still like to know who took our bats, though ???

From the sound of it, your bats are out eating everybody else's insects.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
A mini-digger job - and more than five minutes with one of those too!

One of these
flamethrower-e1396973685544-750x350.jpg
Followed by the mini-digger - 15 mins including tea break :thumbsup:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
You’re obviously not a motorcycle rider is my guess. The front of my bike, helmet and jacket were all covered in splattered bugs after a fairly short ride out today.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Stag Beetle?

Screenshot_20210627-121519_Gallery.jpg

Rooting about in an old wood pile up our allotment, this geezer makes an appearance.
Is it a Stag or lesser stag beetle???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here