Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do you stand on the player recruitment quantity-quality continuum?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The better players will always hold out for a better offer and that is why most of our dealings will be in August as players begin to realise that our offer, and prospects, are good.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The better players will always hold out for a better offer and that is why most of our dealings will be in August as players begin to realise that our offer, and prospects, are good.

I hope you're wrong. We need to integrate the new players as early as possible to stand any chance this season.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
This is a really interesting thread IMHO. So I've gone for a :bounce:

I still think we need 6 or 7 'high quality' players added to the first team squad, and I've given my definition of high quality above.

I do hope that some of those 6 or 7 come from the DS, but I can only see Walton coming through (for me, Dunk, Ince, JFC, March are already in the first team squad).
Would be happy to hear from other posters who any other DS players who are ready are? Rea maybe?

I'm not a big fan of loans, maybe 1 or 2 on a season-long like Ward. So who would these be?

Other than that, we still need quite a few Perm signings, very preferably before pre-season training starts in 2 week's time. I don't think that is being "unrealistic"; it's what we need to be competitive as required by TB.

Assuming from the other thread that Calderon and Bruno have signed, my feeling is goalkeeper, left back (ward I hope), CB, attacking midfield/wide player and striker meaning 5 possibly 6, unless someone like maskimenko can step up. Like you I think movement before pre season would be good just to give time for time to gel and get understanding of what Sami wants.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Assuming from the other thread that Calderon and Bruno have signed, my feeling is goalkeeper, left back (ward I hope), CB, attacking midfield/wide player and striker meaning 5 possibly 6, unless someone like maskimenko can step up. Like you I think movement before pre season would be good just to give time for time to gel and get understanding of what Sami wants.

Agreed. And apparently Sami just said he needs 6 or 7 new players in his interview in Finland. (c) Litmanen <-- the poster!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is a really interesting thread IMHO. So I've gone for a :bounce:

I still think we need 6 or 7 'high quality' players added to the first team squad, and I've given my definition of high quality above.

I do hope that some of those 6 or 7 come from the DS, but I can only see Walton coming through (for me, Dunk, Ince, JFC, March are already in the first team squad).
Would be happy to hear from other posters who any other DS players who are ready are? Rea maybe?

I'm not a big fan of loans, maybe 1 or 2 on a season-long like Ward. So who would these be?

Other than that, we still need quite a few Perm signings, very preferably before pre-season training starts in 2 week's time. I don't think that is being "unrealistic"; it's what we need to be competitive as required by TB.

I'm still of the view that this is unrealistic. What you're saying is that we need six or seven high quality additions, which you define as able to compete in the top six of the Championship. I agree that we need probably seven players (even if Bruno and Calde have signed, as another thread claims), but that we'd be better off spending more on about four players (a goalkeeper probably, a CB, a LB, and a wide attacking player), and then trusting the academy to fill in the gaps when necessary.
Walton obviously should step up -- the big question with him is whether we want to gamble with him in the first team (hence the 'probably' a goalkeeper), as should Maksimenko or Rea/Dallinson. Monakana if he can get his head right is another candidate and maybe Goodwin.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm still of the view that this is unrealistic. What you're saying is that we need six or seven high quality additions, which you define as able to compete in the top six of the Championship. I agree that we need probably seven players (even if Bruno and Calde have signed, as another thread claims), but that we'd be better off spending more on about four players (a goalkeeper probably, a CB, a LB, and a wide attacking player), and then trusting the academy to fill in the gaps when necessary.
Walton obviously should step up -- the big question with him is whether we want to gamble with him in the first team (hence the 'probably' a goalkeeper), as should Maksimenko or Rea/Dallinson. Monakana if he can get his head right is another candidate and maybe Goodwin.

TBH I don't think we are a million miles apart, although you obviously know more about our DS players than I do. I only expect Walton to step up to be our 2nd choice keeper. Jeff not ready IMHO, although clearly has a lot of potential. The rest you mention I just don't know enough about. I hope you are right about them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
TBH I don't think we are a million miles apart, although you obviously know more about our DS players than I do. I only expect Walton to step up to be our 2nd choice keeper. Jeff not ready IMHO, although clearly has a lot of potential. The rest you mention I just don't know enough about. I hope you are right about them.

I'm only basing my comments on the DS players on the consensus view expressed on here, which I generally find to be pretty accurate (as a guide: the player ratings figures that Acker collates is pretty reflective of what their performance(s) is about; see the season-long average for last year as probably the best example). I'm just of the view that we'd be better off spending more on four or so players, than getting lesser quality but getting six or seven.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm only basing my comments on the DS players on the consensus view expressed on here, which I generally find to be pretty accurate (as a guide: the player ratings figures that Acker collates is pretty reflective of what their performance(s) is about; see the season-long average for last year as probably the best example). I'm just of the view that we'd be better off spending more on four or so players, than getting lesser quality but getting six or seven.

Fair enough. As long as we can cover the 2/3 with high quality DS players or season-long loans.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If we play decent football and I am entertained I won't be too bothered if we are stuck in this division for a while.

That just about sums it up - not promotion at all costs, although sooner rather than later, hopefully.

I would rather see a small number of quality signings and, sorry to bring in a certain mr Poyet, people who give us different options, or who are better than what we already have.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I would be happy to replace PIG Upson and Ward with similar quaility.... or PIG, Ward and AN Other

Midfield I'd probably leave alone, although I'd not say no to Andrews coming back. Very underrated and a bit of a scapegoat in my opinion.

Attackers, another winger or two and lose Buckley, and if we play a pair up front, another striker, although if fit, Hoskins would do for me.

Depending on what we have coming through from the development squad, I'd go for quality over quantity.

I truly believe we had the squad last season to come 2nd. Although injuries didn't help, I think they were used as a bit of a smokescreen, but lets not go into that here! :lol: I just feel the cast iron system we played week in week out was our downfall.

If Sami has the ability to mix it up and change it when needed, and change the system to suit who is available, I still think this squad with a few quality additions can be banging on the premiership door come next May.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The problem with the 'we can wait for promotion whilst being entertained' idea is that the Prem/Championship gap just gets bigger and bigger and, with (the ridiculous) parachute payments, the chances of promotion get slimmer and slimmer.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
How many players is a good manager worth? If Hyppia is very good he will get a lot more out of cheaper players.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
A goalkeeper that Walton can challenge
A left full back,Ward i hope
A centre Half
2 attacking midfielders....Lingard on loan ?
1 young striker a punt from abroad,or a lower league.
If Ulloa,or Buckley etc are sold then ........that will change this list.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Either bought or brought in on loan:

A quality goalie
A left back
A commanding centre half, with more pace than Greer
A creative CM/'no.10'
A CMer with pace and power to drive the team forward
A right winger/wideman
2 strikers

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
We have some depth in the club with players that have hardly played. For me I'd sooner 3-4 high quality than 6-7 mediocre's that we hardly ever see. And as little money as possible wasted on 2nd rate loans just to warm the bench.... A couple more chips in a portion too :smile:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We have some depth in the club with players that have hardly played. For me I'd sooner 3-4 high quality than 6-7 mediocre's that we hardly ever see. And as little money as possible wasted on 2nd rate loans just to warm the bench.... A couple more chips in a portion too :smile:

Think it will be more like 2nd rate signings and third rate loans ... We are now looking to bring our own through the youth development which realistically is our best option for the future as we model ourselves on staines and Palarse for bringing players through and selling them on for mega bucks ( hopefully )

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Think it will be more like 2nd rate signings and third rate loans ... We are now looking to bring our own through the youth development which realistically is our best option for the future as we model ourselves on staines and Palarse for bringing players through and selling them on for mega bucks ( hopefully )

Having watched ex Arsenal centre back Dallison play a few times in the DS, I think if he worked with Hyppia, one of the best center backs around in the last ten years, then we could have another very good player come thru. I have a lot of faith in Dunk too and he will learn from the new boss. Maximenko had a complete year in the scottish prem and plays International football for Latvia front side so he should be ready too. Therefore the future looks pretty good to me in that area. Having said that, we will probably get in an experienced CB in the Upson mould. Four quality players for me rather than quantity. Goalkeeper, Left back (hopefully Ward) Possible center back and a wideman. If we can get Buckley fit and thats a big IF, him, Solly and Lua Lua may mean we don't need another one. Four wingers in my opinion would be too much and we have Monakana hopefully coming thru.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
If the season kicked off 2morrow, this would be my starting line up:

Walton

Stephens Dunk. Greer. Chicksen

Buckley. Ince. Crofts. Lualua

Cms. Ulloa

Bench:
Ank
Solly
Jfc
That new dm from conga
Kemy

Not bad, but no back up defenders and no depth.
With Ward, calde and Bruno signing plus a cb and striker we will have a decent squad

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd rather we go for quality over quantity. Learn the lessons of last season, which were mainly that we failed to win more than half our home games, usually because we couldn't score enough goals against mediocre teams. So let's make sure that doesn't happen again by diverting as much of our budget as it takes to secure the one or two forward players that will make the difference. There are obviously big gaps in our back five at the moment, but I think they can probably be filled with more affordable options if required. There is no need to have a goalkeeper as high-profile and expensive as Kuszczak for example (particularly when he's not actually that good), so let's find one who is a bit less experienced but on half the money. The same goes for Upson. I'm not saying pack the defence with cheap kids, but at the same time we don't necessarily need 30+ ex-EPL players. A 7/10 centre-back might cost us three or four points in a season compared with a 9/10 one like Upson, but if it means we can afford the man who will support Ulloa by banging in some goals when it matters then we'll more than make that up.

So for me, it's:
1x proven attacking player who will contribute 12+ goals
1x extra winger (possibly a loan, possibly Lingard)
1x goalkeeper with Championship experience
1x experienced but not past it centre-back
1x left-back

We've lost at least eight players from last season, so there should be no reason why we can't afford those five replacements.

I agree with the vast majority of this especially the proven goal-scoring attacking player, so I'll only highlight points of disagreement:
-- this proven attacking player can also be the extra winger
-- would like it to be Lingard, but I can't see United loaning him out again as it's this is the final year on his contract
-- why does the goalkeeper need Championship experience?
-- I also think it's the attacking player that we need to spend the money on but, despite your qualifications, I think we need high quality centre-backs and goalkeeper (although Walton might be that one)

On another point, The Argoose is linking us with Yeltsin Tejeda, a defensive midfielder. If Sami is going to play 4-2-3-1, we look well covered for the defensive two, with Ince, Toko and all of Stephens, Crofts and JFC able to play there. Sami also mentioned the importance of the defensive midfield position in his opening interviews. Does this mean that he wants to have extra cover there, perhaps wants to revert Ince back to a centre-back, or some other explanation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here