Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Where did you go for an Underage Drink ?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Was that the one opposite Ardingly college? I remember a pal from that village introducing me to that place. An amazing place if you were 15/16, especially useful for pupils from the school opposite. Didn’t even need my dodgy ID!

Might have been The Avins Bridge ? that was further down from the college though Oak was in the village near the RBL club I think ?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
County Oak (Hollingbury), Shakespeare’s Head (Spring St) and Henekeys all at 15. By the time we were invited to leave secondary education - Shades, Abinger, Druids, Fleece, Sussex etc like most of Brighton from the late 70s onwards.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
County Oak (Hollingbury), Shakespeare’s Head (Spring St) and Henekeys all at 15. By the time we were invited to leave secondary education - Shades, Abinger, Druids, Fleece, Sussex etc like most of Brighton from the late 70s onwards.

Do you remember the organist in Henekeys. I'm convinced that's where Ron Mael got his whole act from ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Might have been The Avins Bridge ? that was further down from the college though Oak was in the village near the RBL club I think ?

Ardingly Inn is opposite the RBL. The Oak is/was along the same road opposite a green. The Avins Bridge was the original Railway Hotel. Finally opposite the showground is the Gardners.

i lived in Ardingly for 13 years

Drinking wise Dog and Bacon Horsham aged 14

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ardingly Inn is opposite the RBL. The Oak is/was along the same road opposite a green. The Avins Bridge was the original Railway Hotel. Finally opposite the showground is the Gardners.

The Oak :(

oak.jpg

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Do you remember the organist in Henekeys. I'm convinced that's where Ron Mael got his whole act from ???

Henekeys was the first place I ever bought a drink. The barmaid took pity on me and served me a pint of some piss weak bitter and I hid on the balcony with some older 5th years!

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
The Retreat in Peacehaven, and the Sheffield in Newhaven. Both now closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

You are quite correct Ardinglee Inn opposite the RBL :fishing:
and the Oak a short drop kick along the road toward Balcombe
[MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] is correct both the Oak ( might be a house / flats by now ) and Avins Bridge have gone As well as the White Hart ( now a house ) on the Turners Hill road

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Station @ Preston Park railway. , 76? . 17 yo

The Northern , London Road, 76-77, ? - friggin good band , Woodbine

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Rick Darimple ( spelling) was not fussed he would take anyones money....I joined the RAF in 79 so I guess would have been 77-78

Precisely,

You may remember that Rick had a bit of history with the Boys from across the water and consequently may remember Tony his head barman and minder. When I had to get something from Tony's room and found the shotgun under his bed, even as a somewhat cocky teenager, I thought maybe the time had come for a career change :wink:

If you want the correct spelling a nightclub in Brighton from around that time may give a clue.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Thinking about it now All the Lindfield pubs plus the previously mentioned Serge in HH and the Golden Eagle / Pilgrim ,& Ugly Duck and Cuckfields Wheatsheaf
Were all quite easy to get served in In the mid to late 80s as an underage drinker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here