Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where Did All The Engerland Fans Come From Last Night?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How refreshing it was not to have the usual scenes of chairs being luzzed and bottles flying through the air. Moving forward they should only sell tickets to English people who can prove residence in the country where the match is...

How original :tantrum:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The most middle-class England crowd ever apparently. Fully of architects, teachers and dentists, with barely a beer belly or tattoo in sight.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
30 000 odd Brits living in Italy, at least 1/3 of them there to live and work.I can see the appeal

Not like Spain or France were most people go to retire

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My best friend moved to Germany as the job opportunities in his financial sector were far better there after Brexit, even though he's proudly an England fan. He and his wife went to the game too. Some people do move overseas to expand or better their careers (I spent 6 years working in Spain in the 80's which was a fantastic experience).

Yep, l'm not disagreeing, l spent a few years working in the Lebanon back int the 1980's, l learnt a lot, and it's a time of my life that l'll always cherish.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The most middle-class England crowd ever apparently. Fully of architects, teachers and dentists, with barely a beer belly or tattoo in sight.

It did feel more like a rugby crowd. Great support and no reports of bovver. There were quite a few pics of England and Ukraine supporters enjoying each others company before the match.

An England game I'd love to have been at.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
About ten years ago, Harlequins played Munster in a European Cup quarter final. Munster were given a seat allocation, but not massive.

I turned up and they had taken over the ground. We were left scratching our heads as to how the **** they had done it.

Did you scream for a steward for allowing people into your seats?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It did feel more like a rugby crowd. Great support and no reports of bovver. There were quite a few pics of England and Ukraine supporters enjoying each others company before the match.

Pretty much like every tournament game then :)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

The end I was in was about 80% England, 20% Ukraine.

Everybody mingled fine, both watching the game and in the beer queues etc. If anything, it added to the atmosphere.

Far end looked about 65% Ukraine, and that seemed to have gone fine too. Likewise outside the ground before and after, and around the city.

Felt like the days of hooliganism were years and years ago. Would like to think it’s heading that way for real and forever, not just because of a one-off game with odd attendance circumstances, but let’s see…

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Exactly my point, but then they say that many ex pats are more pro English than those of us living at home. Makes one wonder why they chose to move overseas in the first place, but l guess that's a subject for another thread . . .

The two aren't mutually exclusive!! You can love your country, but also want to try life in a few other places. We moved to France for a couple of years in the early 90s (a job-related move). A fantastic adventure (although tough at times). Unfortunately it's obviously a lot more difficult, post-Brexit [and yes - the topic for another thread!]

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Did you scream for a steward for allowing people into your seats?

No, but we ended up screaming at each other about it for days. They had gotten hold of home tickets and folk wanted to know the CONSPIRATORS.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
My best friend moved to Germany as the job opportunities in his financial sector were far better there after Brexit, even though he's proudly an England fan. He and his wife went to the game too. Some people do move overseas to expand or better their careers (I spent 6 years working in Spain in the 80's which was a fantastic experience).

So not just immigrants but economic migrants!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
In 1987 England played German in Dusseldorf as a test event for the 88 Euros, English fans were not encouraged, no ticket sales in the UK. They shipped thousands of tickets to the troops in Germany but we had to travel by coaches from base and our coach was bricked on the way home. The football was awful from what I remember.
So nothing new.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pretty much like every tournament game then :)

Shhhhhh don’t let your own eyes and facts get in the way of the English perception on NSC :lol:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Thousands upon thousands of England fans usually travel to tournaments, far more than most nations. 90 odd per cent of those fans mingle and behave respectfully. Don't tar them with the same brush as the few who act like morons and end up all over the papers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thousands upon thousands of England fans usually travel to tournaments, far more than most nations. 90 odd per cent of those fans mingle and behave respectfully. Don't tar them with the same brush as the few who act like morons and end up all over the papers.

They do. I know some from Sussex. Good folk. Don't get me wrong (I could have put it better). It's just nice to feel that there is a match where that few percent aren't there.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thousands upon thousands of England fans usually travel to tournaments...90 odd per cent of those fans mingle and behave respectfully.

There can be absolutely no excuse for that sort of behaviour at an international tournament. Can’t we confiscate their passports when England are playing abroad?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here