Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where Did All The Engerland Fans Come From Last Night?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bearing in mind the Government had specifically told all England fans that they were prohibited from travelling to the match, and that no tickets were officially on sale, l'm wondering how we managed to get so much support out in Rome?

From what l could make out on tv, we had a lot of support in the stadium, seemingly hundreds of fans wearing England shirts and waving flags. Made a lot of noise too.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bearing in mind the Government had specifically told all England fans that they were prohibited from travelling to the match, and that no tickets were officially on sale, l'm wondering how we managed to get so much support out in Rome?

From what l could make out on tv, we had a lot of support in the stadium, seemingly hundreds of fans wearing England shirts and waving flags. Made a lot of noise too.

Anyone living in main land Europe could go.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Most of the people I met either lived in Italy, or had come from places like Berlin and Brussels.

I was already in Milan from Dubai, so got a train down on Saturday morning. I believe there were loads of others from the UAE, but didn’t actually meet any myself.

I only met one guy who’d travelled from England on Friday and was hoping to still get in. It’s possible the barcode on his ticket prevented him, but in terms of the actual security checks, no way - people could have breezed in. I showed an English passport as my ID, and the guy just glanced at it and waved me through without a question about my travel or anything.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Atmosphere sounded like a core of regular England support had got in. Either way, fantastic to all those who went!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They were giving tickets away to anyone who could make it to fill seats and get an atmosphere. Just had to make your way there.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
How refreshing it was not to have the usual scenes of chairs being luzzed and bottles flying through the air. Moving forward they should only sell tickets to English people who can prove residence in the country where the match is...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
England fans always find a way. Second only to the Irish, who's ability to circumvent obstacles nobody could ever fathom.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sir Francis Drake was there, he’s done a lot of circumventing.

About ten years ago, Harlequins played Munster in a European Cup quarter final. Munster were given a seat allocation, but not massive.

I turned up and they had taken over the ground. We were left scratching our heads as to how the **** they had done it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A friend of mine, who moved from Horsham to Italy, a few years ago, went with his son. Anyone within the EU is allowed to travel as long as they tested negative.
He paid €150 for each ticket.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ignore the official line is the reality.

Get yourself to the country, nothing illegal in that (in normal circumstances). Once there, the authorities will usually want fans in the ground rather than in the streets and bars outside.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Atmosphere sounded like a core of regular England support had got in. Either way, fantastic to all those who went!

Exactly my point, but then they say that many ex pats are more pro English than those of us living at home. Makes one wonder why they chose to move overseas in the first place, but l guess that's a subject for another thread . . .

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Exactly my point, but then they say that many ex pats are more pro English than those of us living at home. Makes one wonder why they chose to move overseas in the first place, but l guess that's a subject for another thread . . .

Immigrants is the word you're after, in most cases anyway.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

My best friend moved to Germany as the job opportunities in his financial sector were far better there after Brexit, even though he's proudly an England fan. He and his wife went to the game too. Some people do move overseas to expand or better their careers (I spent 6 years working in Spain in the 80's which was a fantastic experience).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here