Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where can we go from here?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is only a finishing place of 1 - 4 that secures CL qualification, I do not think that us winning Europa would have any impact on that or Europa qualification. We would simply have 5 teams in the CL.

However I think in the (unlikely) event English teams won both the Champion League AND the Europa League, but otherwise finished in leage positions outside of the top 4, the fourth placed team would drop down into the Europa.
Correct

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is only a finishing place of 1 - 4 that secures CL qualification, I do not think that us winning Europa would have any impact on that or Europa qualification. We would simply have 5 teams in the CL (which is the maximum number we can have in that comptition..

However I think in the (unlikely) event English teams won both the Champion League AND the Europa League, but otherwise finished in leage positions outside of the top 4, the fourth placed team would drop down into the Europa.

Whoops - hit the wrong key. Typed '6' but meant to type '4'. I don't think we'd be allowed a 5th. team in the CL, so it would be likely for the 4th. place team to miss out, no?

Is there better chance of silverware domestically? I don't see why the Europa League should be any harder to win than the FA Cup, with the added benefit that we won't have to beat Man City at any stage of the competition.

For comparison, USG won their group (undefeated) and made it to the last 8.
Good points well made. But the reason why I said that is because of the team experience in European competitions, which is very small.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I haven’t stopped smiling all week, I haven’t let it sink in yet either that we are going to play competitively for the first time ever, in EUROPE.

Anyway, where do we go from here?! We have just achieved our biggest ever achievement, but theres still more we could achieve, if so what is it? And how do we get there?

I personally think we will aim for silverware next season, domestically, and whilst Europe is big business, I do think we will tread carefully with our progression in the competition due to the importance of the league and better chance of domestic silverware.
That was it, I'm afraid. The best ever season, and the best we can ever hope for.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Stabilisation. We need to keep the momentum and stabilise ourselves as a club that’s regularly competing for Europe and prove this isn’t a one off.

I’ll be happy with a top 8 finish next season and for us to fight on all fronts in the cup competitions. Reaching a final and potentially getting silverware would be a dream.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I do wonder if I might look back on this season in years to come and say this was the best / highest we ever got. Top six is quite a remarkable achievement and I would be surprised if we managed to do it again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would be very, very happy to see us consolidate in top 6-9 for the foreseeable, continue to regularly frighten the big boys and maybe get a top 4 finish at some point, and get to a final or two and win something.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Leicester is the ultimate dream. They even won the FA Cup a few years later as well, now looking like they will be relegated.
Cant see that happening again unless a European Super League similar to what was proposed recently becomes a reality.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We play the kind of football that could get us VERY far in Europe. Really wouldn't surprise me if we went somewhere like the San Siro and got a result. Nuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here