Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where can we go from here?

I haven’t stopped smiling all week, I haven’t let it sink in yet either that we are going to play competitively for the first time ever, in EUROPE.

Anyway, where do we go from here?! We have just achieved our biggest ever achievement, but theres still more we could achieve, if so what is it? And how do we get there?

I personally think we will aim for silverware next season, domestically, and whilst Europe is big business, I do think we will tread carefully with our progression in the competition due to the importance of the league and better chance of domestic silverware.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
I'd much rather seriously targeting top 4 than any cup. Whilst extremely challenging, it could have immensely positive long term implications (keeping our best players in particular)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Champions League qualification via winning the Europa League :bloom:
It would be just our luck that we achieved a top 4 finish anyway. Champions League qualification is like buses.

Imagine that. We've got @Stat Brother imagining relegation next year, and me imagining Champions League qualification two different ways.

This fanbase is all over the place. I prefer the old days when we had no future and no ground. We knew where we were with no ground.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is there better chance of silverware domestically? I don't see why the Europa League should be any harder to win than the FA Cup, with the added benefit that we won't have to beat Man City at any stage of the competition.

For comparison, USG won their group (undefeated) and made it to the last 8.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I haven’t stopped smiling all week, I haven’t let it sink in yet either that we are going to play competitively for the first time ever, in EUROPE.

Anyway, where do we go from here?! We have just achieved our biggest ever achievement, but theres still more we could achieve, if so what is it? And how do we get there?

I personally think we will aim for silverware next season, domestically, and whilst Europe is big business, I do think we will tread carefully with our progression in the competition due to the importance of the league and better chance of domestic silverware.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It would be just our luck that we achieved a top 4 finish anyway. Champions League qualification is like buses.

Imagine that. We've got @Stat Brother imagining relegation next year, and me imagining Champions League qualification two different ways.

This fanbase is all over the place. I prefer the old days when we had no future and no ground. We knew where we were with no ground.
Gillingham...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Champions League qualification via winning the Europa League :bloom:
If we do that and finish, say, 9th. or 10th. in the league (which would still make it a pretty goood season n my book) would that mean the team that finishes 4th. would miss out on CL qualification? - and presumably 7th. place miss out on Europe altogether?

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If we do that and finish, say, 9th. or 10th. in the league (which would still make it a pretty goood season n my book) would that mean the team that finishes 6th. would miss out on CL qualification? - and presumably 7th. place miss out on Europe altogether?

It is only a finishing place of 1 - 4 that secures CL qualification, I do not think that us winning Europa would have any impact on that or Europa qualification. We would simply have 5 teams in the CL (which is the maximum number we can have in that comptition..

However I think in the (unlikely) event English teams won both the Champion League AND the Europa League, but otherwise finished in leage positions outside of the top 4, the fourth placed team would drop down into the Europa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here