Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where can Poyet go?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This is looking the most likely outcome at the moment . Is he a vindictive man ? My gut feeling is he probably is .

Taking what his contract entitles him to doesn't strike me as vindictive. If he feels he's been unfairly treated by the club, he's entitled to fight his corner until the dispute is resolved.

To some extent, the club has snookered itself, because if they appoint a new coach then GP will have them bang to rights on constructive dismissal. They probably assumed that he would get an offer from another club pretty quickly which would resolve matters, but the more that possibility recedes, the more Gus will feel like sitting at home and allowing his contract to run down. One thing's for sure - he'll have access to the top legal advice because one of his closest friends is a leading QC.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I keep banging on about his CV. For top clubs it really isn't that impressive. Already sacked a couple of times, a third tier title, his inability to keep his counsel, now suspended prior to dismissal or resignation.

Oh yes, let's get him in. Reality check needed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is exactly mrs Blue2 and I were saying earlier today Gus is I fear running out of options in this country, he had a great job should have committed and delivered then a big club would have picked him up, but as it is he was constantly putting himself on the for sale board and not showing commitment to his employer.

It's really sad for all concerned he brought a fantastic style of play that was at times a joy to watch, he was able to attract big names and was genuinely improving the team year on year

Exactly right. For an astute man, Gus has made a complete mess of the fantastic opportunity he has been given.

Taking what his contract entitles him to doesn't strike me as vindictive. If he feels he's been unfairly treated by the club, he's entitled to fight his corner until the dispute is resolved.

To some extent, the club has snookered itself, because if they appoint a new coach then GP will have them bang to rights on constructive dismissal. They probably assumed that he would get an offer from another club pretty quickly which would resolve matters, but the more that possibility recedes, the more Gus will feel like sitting at home and allowing his contract to run down. One thing's for sure - he'll have access to the top legal advice because one of his closest friends is a leading QC.

Fair enough and that's how I would react if I were GP, ie keep your head down and leave the next move to BHA. Should the Albion decide to go for dismissal that could involve a lengthy battle so they need to be sure there's a bullet-proof case here. From my experience of serving on ETs, albeit in the 90's, the "evidence" that's currently in the public domain looks a tad thin on a stand alone basis although if there's a documented history of discussions, meetings, management concerns, warnings, agreed actions etc then that will help BHAs case. Paying GP off is another option, if he'll agree, but the cost of this will probably impact our FFP position next season; I can't see how paying off someone's contract would (or should) be a "deductible expense" under FFP. Btw was that you on Radio Sx this morning?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
His beloved Real Zaragoza were relegated ...possible clue to destination ?

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Real Zaragoza could be relegated this weekend even if they beat Atletico. Could there be a managerial change in the offing?

Not sure what kind of budget he'd have there in Liga Adelante though.

EDIT - rocker got there first!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Swansea or maybe Arsenal. or his patio.

i dont really understand why anyone thinks there has to be a vacancy for him to goto immediatly, many managers wait for the next job and many jobs become available out of the blue. There are abut 30 clubs give or take in England which might suit and same again across Europe, why limit speculatoin to two or three current vacant jobs?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The scrapheap for all I care, overated, defensive, egotistic pillock.

Amazing how such a dick had us playing the best football, on occasions, that we have ever played, imagine what we could have done if he was any good at his job :rolleyes:

I have no doubt that he is gonna be a hard act to follow, with all his faults.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Swansea or maybe Arsenal. or his patio.

i dont really understand why anyone thinks there has to be a vacancy for him to goto immediatly, many managers wait for the next job and many jobs become available out of the blue. There are abut 30 clubs give or take in England which might suit and same again across Europe, why limit speculatoin to two or three current vacant jobs?

Yeah but we can't employ someone else until he is gone if we want to avoid paying up his contract or until the club are 100% certain that they can sack him without paying the contract up. It doesn't appear that he has many openings that would suit his ambition open at the moment even if anyone does want him. We seem to be a little fubbared at the moment.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Crawley as Town Crier?

He certainly has a big enough mouth.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rumour site says Benfica are after the Southampton manager if that was to happen there would be an opening for him down there or if Laudrup goes to Everton a vacancy at Swansea.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think a lot of people are somewhat over estimating other chairmen's interest in all things Brighton.

Players fall our managers, managers fall out with chairman. They usually get re-employed, obviously more difficult with managers since there are so few jobs - but you get the gist.

So the only thing that really matters is a prospective managers ability to improve the team, the chairman safe in the knowledge that if it all goes tits up, they get rid of the manager and its musical chairs again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here