[Food] Where can I buy some Hens?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you want a decent number of eggs, buy point-of-lay chickens. Rescue-birds make you feel better but are nowhere near as productive.

My rescue chickens all provided an egg pretty much every day for almost the rest of their lives - didn't think that was a bad return, and I still finished up giving eggs away.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
People are working back through the food chain.

Can't buy pasta? Buy eggs and flour.
Can't buy eggs? Get a chicken.

I was having a quick look at breadmakers earlier (we used to have one but it broke and, for a while, we've been talking about getting one again) and they seem to be few and far between right now too.

Shop keeper in the organic shop said loads of flour being sold, next day they are back for something called Yeast?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
If you want a decent number of eggs, buy point-of-lay chickens. Rescue-birds make you feel better but are nowhere near as productive. Chickens aren't effort-free. They need cleaning out and looking after. The coop needs to be really, really, really fox proof. Foxes and badgers bite through "chicken wire", bury through earth, and can prise open weak doors. If you started with four chickens, after Reynard's visited you'll have three chicken bodies and four separate heads. If you keep the chickens in the garden on bare earth the chickens ruin the grass in a few days and you end-up with Somme-like conditions unless you move them frequently. Be prepared for behavioural issues: if one of your birds decides to start eating eggs or pecking her mates you'll need to get rid of her. If you keep chicken you'll need to be prepared to wring a chicken's neck. And be prepared for chickens to make a lot of noise after they lay an egg which they frequently do very early in the morning.

Apart from that it's a great hobby. I used to keep Marans which produce very dark eggs. They have loads of character and go broody quite easily (something else you'll need to be prepared for) meaning you can buy some fertile eggs and start breeding from the broody.

to paraphrase...

#This bit's shit, this bit's worse, this is tricky, this causes problems, this bit's horrible, I don't like this, oh and this bit's shit as well...

I love it#

:clap:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
There must be a pecking order established if they ration hens.

Those that have over five years of egg purchase history: 1-2 hens

5-10 years: 2-3 hens

>10 years : 5

If you took eggs to Gillingham: as many as you want

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Middle Farm often have lovely hens.

Make your coop as anti-fox as possible. ******* thing got in an killed mine even though I thought it was fox-proof.

They are wonderful pets and great fun.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I cannot wait to get a property with a garden so I can build a great big chicken coop!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you want a decent number of eggs, buy point-of-lay chickens. Rescue-birds make you feel better but are nowhere near as productive. Chickens aren't effort-free. They need cleaning out and looking after. The coop needs to be really, really, really fox proof. Foxes and badgers bite through "chicken wire", bury through earth, and can prise open weak doors. If you started with four chickens, after Reynard's visited you'll have three chicken bodies and four separate heads. If you keep the chickens in the garden on bare earth the chickens ruin the grass in a few days and you end-up with Somme-like conditions unless you move them frequently. Be prepared for behavioural issues: if one of your birds decides to start eating eggs or pecking her mates you'll need to get rid of her. If you keep chicken you'll need to be prepared to wring a chicken's neck. And be prepared for chickens to make a lot of noise after they lay an egg which they frequently do very early in the morning.

Apart from that it's a great hobby. I used to keep Marans which produce very dark eggs. They have loads of character and go broody quite easily (something else you'll need to be prepared for) meaning you can buy some fertile eggs and start breeding from the broody.

More than a bit of a negative description in my experience. I've had about a dozen rescues and all have been good layers - both battery and free range. The fox protection is easy enough - I dug down and put concrete under my coop area and just doubled the locks - only lost one to a fox and that was when she was running round the garden. We now make sure we sit out with them while they are free in the garden. Never had to kill one either and never had much noise ( well only when the fox is roaming in the garden ). Agree with you about the mud though - that said it's only ever in the bottom of their coop.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
FFS these panic buyers are everywhere.

Where can I buy a make your own toilet roll kit?

Buy any newspaper
Take a pair of scissors
Cut newspaper into 6” squares
Take short length of string
Thread string through the top corner of the paper squares
Place near toilet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Every time I look down the list of thread titles and see this one, I laugh out loud. It's the sincerity as much as the absurdity. On a football forum.
Sadly there will be too few replies to justify it but this should be retired to Gold for the title alone. And.....bounce!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Buy any newspaper
Take a pair of scissors
Place near toilet.

Then, re-wipe anus with wet-wipe to remove newspaper print.

Oh, and unwise to attempt to flush either, so have a mini waste bin [Greek-style] next to the WC too

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Buy any newspaper
Take a pair of scissors
Place near toilet.

Just keep a chicken near, and use that. Might tickle a bit, mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports