Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
foghorn-leghorn-png-1-orig-368-png-2194.png

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yes, heard they are marvellous to have due to their personalities too, there was an interview where someone asked if they could keep Chickens as they already had a Cat, they were told that if a cat goes for a Chicken all the others pile in on the Cat ! apparently the Cat soon gets the message !

They're great, and rescued ones seem to love the environment all the more for obvious reasons

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You could ring the Rescue type animal charities, have seen ads from time to time for older Hens, who still lay but are " Less Productive " for the farms so they normally get rid.
Re-homing battery hens is an excellent way to start - I kept ex-battery hens myself a few years ago - but the organisation that does it - the British Hen Welfare Trust - has suspended all re-homing until after the virus crisis.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was talking about this with a neighbour today, as the local co-op / coop had sold out of eggs for some reason. They have a friend who has chickens at home; and they were stolen in the last couple of days. Sad.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Middle farm near Firle sell hybrid layers.

Wishing Wells smallholder store by Hickstead sells layers and some more exotics.

Go for a Sussex buff, for obvious reasons! Sussex light or speckled are nice as well.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I was talking about this with a neighbour today, as the local co-op / coop had sold out of eggs for some reason. They have a friend who has chickens at home; and they were stolen in the last couple of days. Sad.

People will be cow and sheep rustling soon. We’re going to end up just like North Korea, Kim il Johnson at Number 10 the only fat c**t in the entire country and people looking hungrily at other people’s dogs when they’re out walking them.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
If you want a decent number of eggs, buy point-of-lay chickens. Rescue-birds make you feel better but are nowhere near as productive. Chickens aren't effort-free. They need cleaning out and looking after. The coop needs to be really, really, really fox proof. Foxes and badgers bite through "chicken wire", bury through earth, and can prise open weak doors. If you started with four chickens, after Reynard's visited you'll have three chicken bodies and four separate heads. If you keep the chickens in the garden on bare earth the chickens ruin the grass in a few days and you end-up with Somme-like conditions unless you move them frequently. Be prepared for behavioural issues: if one of your birds decides to start eating eggs or pecking her mates you'll need to get rid of her. If you keep chicken you'll need to be prepared to wring a chicken's neck. And be prepared for chickens to make a lot of noise after they lay an egg which they frequently do very early in the morning.

Apart from that it's a great hobby. I used to keep Marans which produce very dark eggs. They have loads of character and go broody quite easily (something else you'll need to be prepared for) meaning you can buy some fertile eggs and start breeding from the broody.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

People are working back through the food chain.

Can't buy pasta? Buy eggs and flour.
Can't buy eggs? Get a chicken.

I was having a quick look at breadmakers earlier (we used to have one but it broke and, for a while, we've been talking about getting one again) and they seem to be few and far between right now too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here