Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are we; where are we heading?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
A few of the posts suggest we should be happy with Championship football. Certainly compared with being in League 1, I agree.

But as the club with the highest attendances in the Championship (2013/14), and the second highest revenue (excl. parachute payments, 2012/13), we should have a stronger squad and be pushing harder to make the step up.

Can't expect TB to keep finding losses but to be honest that is exactly what he will end up doing unless we make the step up. Its sort of s**t or bust. Mid table Championship translates to an annual loss of 10-15m quid a year. Relegation might add, what, another 2-5m quid to that.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
I reckon where we're at is an ultimately lower mid table team in a transitional season after a poor managerial appointment left us to much to do. Where we're going next season is back into the top half of the Championship to flirt with the play offs. In any year, I'd be fairly happy with a top ten finish and some good football. If we get a serious promotion push then that's a great bonus. We've been spoiled over the past couple of seasons so the reactions to this year's dip have been quite good at sorting out the fans who've been around a while or who are realistic about the challenge from the bandwagon-jumpers.

Jeez. It's tripe like this that annoys me.

Open your ears and listen to fellow fans/supporters/Customers.

The reason were not happy is that we had a potential team capable of automatic promotion 2 years ago, it got stripped a little bit and we just missed out losing to Palarse, then the following summer it got stripped again but still managed to make the playoffs only to be outclassed by Derby, then last summer it got totally stripped again and now the football this season has been S**t!

Derby did not rip there side apart after failing to go up, they strengthened their squad, and now EVERYBODY thinks there the team to beat.

The fans feel short changed, mainly due to the lack of inspired signings, especially after selling the absolute spine of the team. It doesn't matter if people supported Brighton from the 60's onwards or started when the move to the Amex occured, they are still entitled to feel the club should be punching higher up the league. However 3 drab transfer windows have now sucked the Albion soul from lots of fans.

Just my humble opinion.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
All it takes is a decent set of players in a system that suits them you don't need to spend millions see Crystal Palace and Burnley, with a bit of luck things can turn around quickly.

I am more than happy watching us play our football in this league. There doesnt seem to be one quite like it where teams for example will go and beat a team at the top (Ipswich) and then go and lose to one at the very bottom (Blackpol). Having seen us in this division for 4 seasons now, you kind of expect it to happen. That will set us in good stead for the future as not only the team but the fans will start to suss the division out. You only have to look at Derby who have had the same core players for a good few years now and are looking to go up this season.

The key word is patience. Having a manager here for more than a season would help too...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
A poor managerial appointment (combined with the lack of backing to the previous, top, manager/coach) has meant a poor season. Rebuild in the summer and we will be back challenging for a play off place. Other teams have gone through similar

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
With losing Ulloa and to a lesser extent Bridcutt and Buckley this was always going to be a difficult season and so it has proved.

We now have an experienced management set up with good financial support from TB. If we can stay up this year I would expect an above mid table finish next year. We need to get lucky and unearth a goalscoring striker, from the lower leagues or overseas. We are not going to be buying in a proven striker at Championship level.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
With losing Ulloa and to a lesser extent Bridcutt and Buckley this was always going to be a difficult season and so it has proved.

We now have an experienced management set up with good financial support from TB. If we can stay up this year I would expect an above mid table finish next year. We need to get lucky and unearth a goalscoring striker, from the lower leagues or overseas. We are not going to be buying in a proven striker at Championship level.

Could you please confirm your source that has told you and i quote "good financial support from TB"

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
I am more than happy watching us play our football in this league. There doesnt seem to be one quite like it where teams for example will go and beat a team at the top (Ipswich) and then go and lose to one at the very bottom (Blackpol). Having seen us in this division for 4 seasons now, you kind of expect it to happen. That will set us in good stead for the future as not only the team but the fans will start to suss the division out. You only have to look at Derby who have had the same core players for a good few years now and are looking to go up this season.

The key word is patience. Having a manager here for more than a season would help too...

Derby are the perfect example of how we should have continued to build the momentum.

Patience??? What do you think will happen when our Academy starts producing quality players?

The will be sold as soon as an offer is in!

The club had the chance to build on the last 2 seasons but released and sold the core of the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are going to muddle through to the summer and hope to stay in this division, then TB will either show intent to get back on track and we'll buy some players or we'll end up with more loanees at the last minute and a shit transfer window waiting for bargains at the 11th hour. Non of us know which way it will go so it's a wait and see scenario. Will TB push the boat out or will we mark time until the academy produces?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We are going to muddle through to the summer and hope to stay in this division, then TB will either show intent to get back on track and we'll buy some players or we'll end up with more loanees at the last minute and a shit transfer window waiting for bargains at the 11th hour. Non of us know which way it will go so it's a wait and see scenario. Will TB push the boat out or will we mark time until the academy produces?

This is your best post in a long time.
The situation's quite simple: we need to stay up this year, and then we'll see what goes on in the summer.
So the questions (and my answers) are:
-- will we stay up: yes
-- what will happen in the summer: don't know.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Derby are the perfect example of how we should have continued to build the momentum.

Patience??? What do you think will happen when our Academy starts producing quality players?

The will be sold as soon as an offer is in!

The club had the chance to build on the last 2 seasons but released and sold the core of the team.

I can't think of any examples of where we've sold a senior player in the first transfer window where they've had an offer made.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The latter won't happen, Barber needs to sell the 1901 package next season and nobody is forking out top dollar for loanees.

I think in the Summer we can expect a marque signing up front, and a couple of decent names in support.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The latter won't happen, Barber needs to sell the 1901 package next season and nobody is forking out top dollar for loanees.

I think in the Summer we can expect a marque signing up front, and a couple of decent names in support.

Personally think that the club would be delighted if a large number of Platinum members don't renew, it will give Barber more seats for Corporate Hospitality. Most 1901ers are fans and unwilling to pay the going rate for a meal package, can't help thinking that the club would like to shift a large number of these fans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Personally think that the club would be delighted if a large number of Platinum members don't renew, it will give Barber more seats for Corporate Hospitality. Most 1901ers are fans and unwilling to pay the going rate for a meal package, can't help thinking that the club would like to shift a large number of these fans.
That's a big call.
5 years of guaranteed top dollar income v potential Premier League Corporate Hostility.
Because lets face it nobody is spending for Albion v Rotherham.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
CH is a good manager. Sami was terrible. We will be back on track. It will be great when Academy players come through. Glen Rea is good.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Yep, he wants people in there paying top dollar for their seat who they can then upsell a lobster and champagne dinner too.
Not people who buy a pint of Harveys and a plate of sausage and mash (which they then photograph and bitch about on forums).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Since relegation from the Prem in 2003/4, Derby have been 18th, 20th, 4th, 20th, 3rd (promoted) and then spent one season in Prem/relegated), and since 08/09 - 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th, 10th, 3rd and then obviously aiming for top 2 this season...Not sure what you concur from that apart from i'd say a) you should be very patient if you're a Derby fan and b) a good season can just as well follow a bad season. And that assumes they're going up this year. They might well not. Couldn't scrape past QPR last year could they ?

As for the same "core team" - well they signed 14 players this summer (Leon Best was one of em so clearly not all have worked out) and another 6 in the window just finished so its hardly stability...(Bent, Lingard, Ince, Warnock etc)

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
As a side note. If (which is looking likely) B'muff go up; then they are quite likely to be back in the Championship pretty soon. That's another club with parachute payments that we can't compete with financially. Of course if a club spends wisely & is well managed, like I think we are, then just that chance of a season in the Prem can define your whole long term future.
I've been supporting the club for over 40 years, but now with the infrastructure we have in place, I feel that we must make the big time at least once soon, then kick on with the resulting financial boost.
I know the PL isn't everything, supporting the Albion is in the blood for most of us; but let's face it, these are different times. It's sink or swim with the amount of money in the game, mostly at the top. A "Premier League ready club", needs PL money to survive.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's a big call.
5 years of guaranteed top dollar income v potential Premier League Corporate Hostility.
Because lets face it nobody is spending for Albion v Rotherham.

You are assuming that the renewal will be for another 5 years, it may only be for one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here