Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

where are they

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yeah so much worse than starting Barnes is shit threads, mostly, by fans who come across as pretty clueless

...and there as if by magic....

For the record. I never start the threads, but I am often seen contributing to them.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
What the OP is referring to is that there is a very small but very loud group of fans who have a pathological hatred of Barnes. They would rather we lost a game than he score.

My view is that if he plays well give him 8/10 and if he plays poor give him 4/10 etc.

Because the venom against Barnes is so extreme other people feel duty bound to defend him, it does not make them Barnes lovers, they just cannot understand the mentality of the haters.

Maybe he owes them money.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personally I don't think Barnes is there yet as a top end championship/premiership player.

Yes he is still young, blah blah blah.

But I do have to stay he does at least look better up front than stuck out on the wing.

He has definitely had more licence recently to play as a centre forward. Hence goals are coming.

Is he right man for the job long term? I doubt it. Is he doing a job at the moment yes.

But if we are serious about getting to the premiership. I am not going to get over excited about a player with such obvious limitations.

I doubt there'd be many who would say Barnes is a PL class player (yet).

But it could hardly be argued that the following are PL class too:
El Abd
Greer
Ankergren
Dicker
Dunk
Painter
Calderon
Hammond
Crofts
CMS
Dobbie
LuaLua

But they don't get the persistent bitching from a noisy MINORITY of fans.

Barnes, even when played completely out of position, mostly does a sound to good job, and unlike most of the others has time on his side.
From the raw striker bought for a tiny fee from Plymouth, his overall progression has been good.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I firmly believe that for large parts of the game he is a passenger.

I think there may sometimes be a case for berating his first touch, his vision, he can sometimes be a little petulant, but in the list of BHA players unlikely to be a passenger, he is near the top

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Boring

If he has a good game I'll praise if he has a shocker I'll criticise, same as anyone would with a half reasonable view of what happens in a match. Plenty of criticism of AEA at Blackburn, played well yesterday doesn't mean his performance at B'burn was any better. There's a small minority of Barnes knockers as there is CMS, just ignore them

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Like our views on football and footballers then!?

Yup, given what we've seen over the last few years I tend to look for positives, you seem to come from a long way away to search out the negatives and then drive home angry, can't be much fun :shrug:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Here's one, I'm not hiding. Ashley Barnes played a stormer yesterday and for what it's worth, was my man of the match. On the evidence of that performance he has got to be one of the first names down on the team sheet for Sheff Wed. That's the way is should be, play well and keep the shirt. There are many occasions this season when he has not played well(as happens to almost all players from time to time) and he has kept the shirt longer than he deserved to. This is I believe, is where a lot of the knocking of Barnes comes from, but that's not Barnes fault. It's the mangers for picking a player who doesn't deserve to play. Anyway why should we be so surprised, Ashley Barnes gets paid to play football and yesterday earned his money, no doubt. There have been many weeks when he hasn't. Six of one and half a dozen of then other. Back to yesterday, well done Ashley,long may it continue. All I want is the best for my football club, but I reserve the right to say it as I see it, week in week out. That's a fan who pays his money's, right to do so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I doubt there'd be many who would say Barnes is a PL class player (yet).

But it could hardly be argued that the following are PL class too:
El Abd
Greer
Ankergren
Dicker
Dunk
Painter
Calderon
Hammond
Crofts
CMS
Dobbie
LuaLua

But they don't get the persistent bitching from a noisy MINORITY of fans.

Barnes, even when played completely out of position, mostly does a sound to good job, and unlike most of the others has time on his side.
From the raw striker bought for a tiny fee from Plymouth, his overall progression has been good.
I take it your not counting managing us in the PL.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
a lot of people have it in their heads that Barnes is an out-and-out striker rather than someone who - in most matches (Derby was the exception plus a more advanced/central role yesterday) - his main job is screening the full backs allowing them time and space to get forward. It is the way Gus tells him to play and for the large part he does it well. People dont always see what they dont expect and they expect Barnes (number 9) to be leading the line

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
a lot of people have it in their heads that Barnes is an out-and-out striker ...People dont always see what they dont expect and they expect Barnes (number 9) to be leading the line

I doubt it, he hasn't played in that position, until recently, for about a year!! I really don't believe people haven't noticed this

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I doubt it, he hasn't played in that position, until recently, for about a year!! I really don't believe people haven't noticed this

ssssshhhhh!
I'm trying to be generous :lol:

I wonder if they have also failed to notice that his current form might owe a bit to the fact that his first touch is much improved (maybe he has been watching Spanish Dave?) and he is staying on his feet more

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I Googled Ashley Barnes, Knockers to see if it were a repeat of the Milfage, but I was left disappointed. :(

I tried Barnes knockers and got this. images[8] (2).jpg Not very exciting I know.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Errrr, the point being most of the haters hate on Barnes for no reason, and don't praise him. They just go quiet when her does well.

this

that's not really the point is it? The OP is no doubt talking about the people who say Ashley Barnes is SHIT, end of story. And do so many times. You don't have to look through NSC much to find those threads.

Nothing wrong with saying someone had a bad game. Bit of respect where respect is due is needed from some though.
eloquently put and hit the nail on the head

You will pleased to know the tit who sits behind me who a couple of weeks ago said, "I f**kin' hate it when Barnes scores - it's so frustrating", spent all of yesterday berating him for being shit... I finally turned round and mentioned that he'd scored one and set up the other.

The goon then briefly turned his hate towards Ankergren... and then back to Barnes for the last 20 minutes.

"He's f**kin taken the Argie off!! Get Barnes off he's shite"

I have never known a fan hate a player with such passion.

makes you wonder why they are there?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a lot of people have it in their heads that Barnes is an out-and-out striker rather than someone who - in most matches (Derby was the exception plus a more advanced/central role yesterday) - his main job is screening the full backs allowing them time and space to get forward. It is the way Gus tells him to play and for the large part he does it well. People dont always see what they dont expect and they expect Barnes (number 9) to be leading the line

exactly that. people dont seem to grasp that he's doing what he's asked by the manager, and doing it as well as the manger expects - otherwise he wouldnt be keeping the shirt would he? he's got a number 9 shirt, but plays on the wing and will cover the pitch like a central midfielder, people expect him to be scoring 20+ goals a season. though when he did score 20 goals they knocked him. and when he was our top scorer last season, they knocked him. when he ends this season with another dozen+ goals to his tally they still knock him. maybe he needs to lose the number to take the focus away and get on with his job of being a fine player, though it wont stop all of them.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
I've only been watching Barnes for two seasons and at first I wasn't sure what to make of him. He doesn't have the obvious flair of some other players, but yet somehow he always seemed to be involved in important moves, whether in the build up, or just as often, scoring. Also it was obvious that he was doing something right, given the faith Gus places in him and I assume that must have a lot to do with his attitude in training and when things don't go well. He has an instinct for positioning, he has the right attitude, he always battles and works and, when he was dropped, he came back stronger. Managers see a lot more of a player than fans ever can. And now, bit by bit, I see his game improving in those areas that were not so strong a year ago - which shows he is continuously working and learning. Of course he has good games and bad games and it's fine to say that, but to say he is not a good player overall is wrong in my opinion. I think he is already a good championship player and will continue to improve and become a good premiership player for us in future. Just my opinion, but I expect Ashley to prove me right.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Can I throw Dicker in as well ? Throughly underrated player. Maybe not always a starter but a player Gus will always call on to do a good job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here