Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are all these Barcelona players?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Early days. Patience.

I totally agree, it is early days, but judging by the very underwhelming signings so far, I'd be very surprised to see any signings similar to the likes of Bridge and Vicente..

Up until now, the club has improved both on and off the pitch every season since the Amex started being built, thus in turn creating a massive feel good factor for the fans.

This year I think we'll see the first year of going backwards, and the first signs of discontent, the fact we got so close to achieving promotion last season will not help things if we finish mid table as it will always be seen by the fans as somewhat of a failure.

Personally, I'll be happy to finish top half and then in Oscars second season really give it a go, but I'm not so sure everyone will see it the same way.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
In all seriousness though....

When Oscar Garcia was announced i said "WHO?". I had never heard of him. The answer from lots of people on here was that he was a superb appointment and that we would be sure to get an influx of Barca 'B' players and lots connections with Spain etc. People mention some Gerrad Delfonescu (or whatever) Barca reserves striker who i looked at on YouTube ad though GREAT!

So, so far, this bloke from Spain has signed.... A Unheard of left back from division three, another left back who was so good his team got relegated to the 3rd division last season and an over the hill midfielder that was unwanted by a club that finished below us last season and a couple. I might have missed someone as i've kind of lost a little bit of love this season and not been as focussed as normal.

Now don't get me wrong, i realise these players could go on to be fantastic aquisitions, but what i want to know is when are all the Barca 'B' players coming that you were all raving about?

Who is this unheard of player you are talking about? Can't be Stephen Ward as I've heard of him...In fact even my 14 year old son has heard of 18 times Republic of Ireland international Stephen Ward

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Really? Three dodgy ref's decisions have cost us and we've lost by one goal in the games that really matter. In case you hadn't noticed, the club has had a few problems since the end of last season and we have a new manager trying to change the style of play with new players trying to fit in as well.

I despair of some of our fans expectations.

I had to laugh at those on here who claimed we'd walk this division this season - clealy people who know nothing or wildly optimistic. Nothing wrong with being positive, but keep it within touching disance of reality, please.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I've worked it out. With the players coming in, Garcia is obviously not Spanish, he's Irish, and his real name is O'Scar

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I totally agree, it is early days, but judging by the very underwhelming signings so far, I'd be very surprised to see any signings similar to the likes of Bridge and Vicente..

Up until now, the club has improved both on and off the pitch every season since the Amex started being built, thus in turn creating a massive feel good factor for the fans.

This year I think we'll see the first year of going backwards, and the first signs of discontent, the fact we got so close to achieving promotion last season will not help things if we finish mid table as it will always be seen by the fans as somewhat of a failure.

Personally, I'll be happy to finish top half and then in Oscars second season really give it a go, but I'm not so sure everyone will see it the same way.

This pretty much reflects my view.

It seems that you can't state the obvious on here without people taking it as an insult to the club. What happened in the summer has set us back years, I'm not apportioning any blame for it but it is a fact and would be a fact at any club. OG now has to start again and build from the bottom up, he needs a couple of seasons at least.

IMHO we have a weaker squad and at the moment I have no faith in Burke or Oscar to strengthen it sufficiently fo a top 6 finish, mabye that's just me being cynical but time will tell. It doesn't mean I'm going to flounce my season ticket, I still love going to the Amex. I'd be happy with a mid-table finish and some attacking football.

Having watched the team last Saturday though, we are a million miles away from where we were at the end of last season and that's a fact, that's a fact you can't deny.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps the Barcelona players are not signing this year and are the plan to keep us in the PL if /when we get there ???

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I can't be arsed to look for it now but didn't Oscar say soon after he arrived that it was important to have a good lot of home grown players in yer squad? In which case what has happened in terms of signings so far seems to be follow that. Doesn't mean we won't get anyone from S of the Pyrenees before the transfer window shuts.

Probably needed to bring in Jordi Cruyff as as well as Oscar

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
This guy Ward has an impressive c.v. According to Wiki he can play L/Back, midfield or up front. He's 27 years old with experience of Premiership and Internationals , going to Euro 2012.

It seems that some would only want signings with fancy foreign names, but that does not make them better . We need solid defensive cover and he would seem to fit the bill.

Wait and see what happens on T/fer deadline day before judging....

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
to refer to the thread title.......exactly the same was said about Gus before with all his Chelsea/Tottenham connections.....doesn't happen that way....

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Quite frankly though I'm disappointed we haven't had a dream start on the pitch, I'm much more disappointed at the crepe that flows from some of the bottleless wimps that consider themselves BHA supporters. How bloody immature and naive can you get to imagine Oscar was going to practically turn up on a bus accompanied by the cream of Spanish football.
My guess is we will turn up a useful player or two from Espania :guitar: but for the very reason Tony Bloom never played Poker with his cards the wrong way around he quite obviously isn't going to let the football fraternity know he's got his eye on someone because ...... some bigger club will nick 'em or show an interest and the price goes up. Give the peeps that know some feckin time will you :wrong:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I am really struggling to see how people are underwhelmed by us signing Ward. He's got international and top-flight experience, an ex-striker so clearly comfortable attacking and plays in a position we sorely need some experience.

Yeah, so he's from Wolves who have been relegated twice in as many seasons. Was he solely to blame for those relegations or, conversely, was he the only person in that team capable of keeping them from being relegated? No. They're a team and are all equally culpable as are the coaching staff so to automatically expect him to be a failure here is just pessimism of the highest order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here