Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When's the last time Crystal Palace were in Europe, and how did they qualify?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think that was the game when the train going up got ransacked by our lot.Mental night.
It was indeed, although the BR buffet manager's brief cameo on 'Coast to Coast' with his version of events was somewhat different from what actually happened.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think that was the game when the train going up got ransacked by our lot.Mental night.
I'm pretty sure it is. I remember reading the Argus the following day.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Lol. So they can actually turn that one on its head - because WE have never played in Milan and they have!

It was much better when we played at Ajax and sang ' Have you ever seen Palace in the Dam?'

At least that made sense.

The chant really should be "Have you ever seen the Palace in Marseille" The trouble with the Dam chant is that some people say Milan instead which is a Newcastle chant and as you point out makes no sense whatsoever. At least Marseille made sense and isn't a direct rehash of another clubs chant.

I guess that horse has well and truly bolted though albeit I'm looking forward to potentially singing "Have you ever seen the Palace in Young boys"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe they should have let Whitehawk change to Brighton City and we'd have had a pukka rival within the conurbation. ;)
It would be worth it just to visit Whitehawk for the burgers.

Anyway, Albion can't be rivals with them. It means I would have to dislike both sides at the same time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, true, however @Eeyore's point is valid. The Anglo-Italian Cup may indeed have been only one step up from the Watney Cup and maybe a step below the Freight Rover trophy, but Palace have played in Milan so the song is wrong. And whilst it wasn't the Champions' League it was a competitive fixture. And they won.

And I also agree with him about the 'pantomime rivalry' bit, although I appreciate that, unlike 'Palace in Milan' ours is just a subjective viewpoint.
The song has been ‘the Dam’ since Ajax anyway :shrug:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Absolutely and utterly this,

The Palace rivalry was contrived in the 1970's because, well, we didn't really have any rivals as such.. To me the closest to a real derby that we have is with Pompey, and l can remember a gkood few battles with them back in the day. A shame in many ways that we haven't had the chance to play them in a fair dew years.

i mean Palace are a London team and ermmm Brighon is on the south coast, just like Portsmouth.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1703021789751.png
Euro FEVER takes over at Selhurst for their "one and only European tour"

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
It feels like the rivalry has simmered down somewhat but we still have the best part of half a century of history as rivals albeit plenty of it separated by a division or two.

It will just take an unjust result or dodgy decision to reignite the hatred. One thing we both have in common is that other teams we dislike don't really give a shit about us.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It feels like the rivalry has simmered down somewhat but we still have the best part of half a century of history as rivals albeit plenty of it separated by a division or two.

It will just take an unjust result or dodgy decision to reignite the hatred. One thing we both have in common is that other teams we dislike don't really give a shit about us.
We've had that in SPADES several times these last couple of seasons...

HyperTony

May 20, 2023
In my eyes the 5 zip game, Murray scoring at the North stand against us and that Playoff game continues to fuel my dislike for them. Despite our recent positive results against them, we still owe them. 1 good thrashing and maybe sending them down will redress that debt.

The incredible European experience we're having is something to really savour. I've enjoyed singing anti-Palace songs in the away games as it feels like upping the bar on taking the piss out of them. Which is so much fun

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don’t know about qualifying for Europe but a home defeat for them is long overdue. I’ve seen just 1 win in 9 games up there recently.

1-1 11/12
0-3 12/13 Dunk Red
0-0 play off
2-3 16/17
2-0 17/18 Knockaert
1-1 18/19 Zaha! Again
1-1 lockdown Mac
1-1 let it bounce
1-1 VARcical

Last edited:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We've had that in SPADES several times these last couple of seasons...
Yep. Pretty much every game we’ve had against them recently has had at least one dodgy decision in their favour. The only one I can think of that went our way was a soft penalty in the 3-1 win when we had 10 men although Zaha should have been sent off in the same match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here