Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When's the last time Crystal Palace were in Europe, and how did they qualify?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
:yawn:

Maybe it's just me. But I can't bear the Palace in Europe shit. Sing songs of Withdean, Sussex and the boys rather than that lot up the road.
Yeah. This.

As it happens, they did play in the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1970s. And won away to Inter. So those who made up the 'Ever seen Palace in Milan' song may not have checked their history books.

It does get a bit nauseous and needy sounding this rivalry thing sometimes. A bit contrived. I just want three bloody points on Thursday.

I don't see them as bitter rivals, more a pantomime villain. And most who do see them as bitter rivals only do so because they were told to think that way.

Nice beating them though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On this occasion I am with the OP. Well done @Mustafa II

(We are certain to lose on Thursday though. There, I said it).

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yeah. This.

As it happens, they did play in the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1970s. And won away to Inter. So those who made up the 'Ever seen Palace in Milan' song may not have checked their history books.

It does get a bit nauseous and needy sounding this rivalry thing sometimes. A bit contrived. I just want three bloody points on Thursday.

I don't see them as bitter rivals, more a pantomime villain. And most who do see them as bitter rivals only do so because they were told to think that way.

Not sure the Anglo Italian Cup really counts as European football in the true sense of the phrase. Otherwise you’ve got to consider that Wycombe, Poole Town and Bath City have all played in Europe too.

Palace did actually play in a proper UEFA competition in the 98-99 season, they represented England in the Intertoto Cup, they qualified by being the only English side who applied to take part, yeah they didn’t qualify through League position, they got there by default cause they were the only club who filled out the paperwork and applied. They joined the competition (and got knocked out) in the third round by Turkish giants Samsunspor.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah. This.

Lol. So they can actually turn that one on its head - because WE have never played in Milan and they have!

It was much better when we played at Ajax and sang ' Have you ever seen Palace in the Dam?'

At least that made sense.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yeah. This.

Absolutely and utterly this,

The Palace rivalry was contrived in the 1970's because, well, we didn't really have any rivals as such.. To me the closest to a real derby that we have is with Pompey, and l can remember a gkood few battles with them back in the day. A shame in many ways that we haven't had the chance to play them in a fair dew years.

i mean Palace are a London team and ermmm Brighon is on the south coast, just like Portsmouth.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure the Anglo Italian Cup really counts as European football in the true sense of the phrase. Otherwise you’ve got to consider that Wycombe, Poole Town and Bath City have all played in Europe too.

Palace did actually play in a proper UEFA competition in the 98-99 season, they represented England in the Intertoto Cup, they qualified by being the only English side who applied to take part, yeah they didn’t qualify through League position, they got there by default cause they were the only club who filled out the paperwork and applied. They joined the competition (and got knocked out) in the third round by Turkish giants Samsunspor.
Yes, true, however @Eeyore's point is valid. The Anglo-Italian Cup may indeed have been only one step up from the Watney Cup and maybe a step below the Freight Rover trophy, but Palace have played in Milan so the song is wrong. And whilst it wasn't the Champions' League it was a competitive fixture. And they won.

And I also agree with him about the 'pantomime rivalry' bit, although I appreciate that, unlike 'Palace in Milan' ours is just a subjective viewpoint.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

The Palace rivalry was contrived in the 1970's because, well, we didn't really have any rivals as such.. To me the closest to a real derby that we have is with Pompey, and l can remember a gkood few battles with them back in the day. A shame in many ways that we haven't had the chance to play them in a fair dew years.

i mean Palace are a London team and ermmm Brighon is on the south coast, just like Portsmouth.
Except Pompey couldn't give a shit about us, where as Palace do. I don't understand why people think Brighton and Palace is such an 'odd' rivalry. It's a 45 minute direct train ride away and is by far the quickest and easiest club to get to. Probably even for them as well. Norwich to Ipswich is the same distance, do people think that one is 'odd' as well?

We have had some big games with Palace over the years and their support base extends right into our catchment area. Any similar sized club to us would be singing songs about their rivals not being in Europe if they were in our situation. Newcastle have been doing it about Sunderland all season.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I feel a bit torn about this - because of course they did finish third in the old First Division - which would easily have qualified them for the Champions League. Except that at the time that (European Cup) was reserved for, yes - Champions! And they also would have qualified for the UEFA Cup that season, if places for English Clubs hadn't been limited because of Heysel.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Except Pompey couldn't give a shit about us, where as Palace do. I don't understand why people think Brighton and Palace is such an 'odd' rivalry. It's a 45 minute direct train ride away and is by far the quickest and easiest club to get to. Probably even for them as well. Norwich to Ipswich is the same distance, do people think that one is 'odd' as well?

We have had some big games with Palace over the years and their support base extends right into our catchment area. Any similar sized club to us would be singing songs about their rivals not being in Europe if they were in our situation. Newcastle have been doing it about Sunderland all season.
Isn't that because they are the only two BIG teams in that area? Palace is closer to Millwall, Charlton, etc and so they would be their main natural rivals. I thought the Palace/Brighton thing was more based on individuals having beef with each other/oppo fans, not the distance inbetween the two clubs?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

As @Commander says, Portsmouth don't give us a second thought. They did briefly in the 80s (which is why I dislike them) and I'm sure there have been jealous glances in our direction since then, but that's about it. The Nigels are thus our only real rivals, and as the crow flies they are 7 miles closer than Portsmouth anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Isn't that because they are the only two BIG teams in that area? Palace is closer to Millwall, Charlton, etc and so they would be their main natural rivals. I thought the Palace/Brighton thing was more based on individuals having beef with each other/oppo fans, not the distance inbetween the two clubs?
Ipswich is 12 miles from Colchester. And there are plenty of similarly lop-sided rivalries around - West Ham-Millwall, Stoke-Port Vale, Plymouth-Exeter etc.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Hey?

A rivalry that grew organically from both sides after going up and down leagues together then the famous heated FA cup replays and 2 managers genuine antipathy for each other, isn't actually one after all. The 80's, boxing days, Andy Johnson, Murray, McShane, Zaha and everything else is just contrived as there's no sea in Croydon?

Why would anyone think Southamptons arch rivals who happen to be 7 miles further from Brighton than Palace, and who dont give a shit about Brighton, would be better qualified? Isn't that the definition of contrived?

If further distance from Brighton isn't an issue and the south coast is the main prerequisite how about Muff or Exeter who don't have rivals but do have South coast beaches?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Lol. So they can actually turn that one on its head - because WE have never played in Milan and they have!

It was much better when we played at Ajax and sang ' Have you ever seen Palace in the Dam?'

At least that made sense.
I'm pretty sure they haven't met Ajax in a fixture before. Certainly not competitive (including Mickey Mouse competitive). So that one is pretty safe.

Mind you, they have never played Forest Green or Burton Albion before. So maybe there is a song there too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yep you replied to that post before l had the chance to, and used much the same words that l would have used in mine!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whichever way you look at it though, whether contrived or organically grown, the rivalry started in the 1970s. Before that, Palace weren't significant - just another team in the 3rd. 4th, or third division(S) based in the south of England, like Reading, Gillingham, Leyton Orient or Aldershot. Portsmouth were generally off our radar, mostly playing in a higher division than us, so never really a rival either - again, not until the late 70s anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here