Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When you’ve been in the wrong end and had to keep quiet!

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Do come and join Hawks upstairs, I like a trip to Peacehaven.

I knew a lot about them when Pooky was in charge as I played cricket with him. I saw them knocking Bognor out the cup. 1991, I think.

Get on fine with the Hawks, there was a few of us over for the Hastings match. Not a massive fan of Alan Pook, had a few run ins when I was in the betting game, once threatened to break my legs!. Young Roy was alright though (as was Roy senior)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Get on fine with the Hawks, there was a few of us over for the Hastings match. Not a massive fan of Alan Pook, had a few run ins when I was in the betting game, once threatened to break my legs!. Young Roy was alright though (as was Roy senior)

It does seem rather odd being a Hawks fan and not having any natural enemies. I think folk expect something else of us.

Do keep contributing to the non-league thread. It's building a following.

Am I right in saying, of the logical candidates, only Littlehampton can go up this year where ground is concerned ?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Am I right in saying, of the logical candidates, only Littlehampton can go up this year where ground is concerned ?

Sounds about right, but we no desire to go up, it nearly bankrupted us last time, although we’re a different club now (fan owned, strict wage cap etc) but having to shell out £10k on seats that remain unused, or £2k for a retractable tunnel. Nah, no thanks

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Sounds about right, but we no desire to go up, it nearly bankrupted us last time, although we’re a different club now (fan owned, strict wage cap etc) but having to shell out £10k on seats that remain unused, or £2k for a retractable tunnel. Nah, no thanks

Just got back from Peachaven v Shoreham under 23s tonight. Lovely welcoming club with a decent clubhouse. Decent turnout aswell tonight

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Cardiff City - Pop Bank, Ninian Park with my cousin (Cardiff supporter). I'm half welsh - so, to be honest, never felt threatened and have
always felt they are my people as much as Albion are. But I did keep my trap shut ;)

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My son was in the away end at the London stadium this year. Apparently a few clapped Maupay's goal where he was so he just joined in

How very 21st century :wink:

The same for me, in the 3-0 game in our first Premier League season. It was very odd sitting on my hands when Murray and particularly Izquierdo scored, especially as they were the first team we really put to the sword. Mind you, I would probably have got away with celebrating, as the West Ham fans were busy arguing among each other (some oiks were giving a family grief for daring to ask them to sit down in front of them). A West Ham supporting workmate got me the ticket as his mate couldn't go. There was no other way I'd have got there, as I didn't have nearly enough loyalty points.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Been quite a few times: saw a cracking game at Goodison from the Gwladys St end. Could have been hairy but most Everton fans were amused to see an Albion fan there (it did help that I was with a dozen scousers though).

The worst was Gillingham when we were the away team - it was like visiting the scene of the crime. We got stuffed 3-0 and had to listen to a load of Kent in-breds congratulating themselves. The best was at Moulineux when I was going out with a Wolves supporter: Eric Young scored about five minutes from the end to win the game. It was a short triumph - she dumped me about six week later (don't think it was connected to the football though)

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Millwall away 2006 to the right of the away fans. Was 14 at the time and everyone around me was huge with shaved heads. I think that may be the quietest I have ever been during a football match. Didn't help we won 2-0

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Hereford ticket office were selling tickets to anyone who called. I got one to my home in Brighton directly from them.

As for away matches, I guess I can trump everyone with Millwall and then go better with standing in with the Palace fans at an Albion home game. It was only a friendly, and I had met some Palace fans in a pub and got very drunk. I went in with them to the game not really thinking about things and started cheering the Albion. I seem to remember I was advised to keep a little quieter, but it was okay.

Beat that PPF, you woos

I went to one of those friendlies with a work colleague and his sister, both of whom were Palace season ticket holders. It was the game where the bloke with the arm cast ran around all of our players pre match geeing them up (anyone on here ?). The Palace fans were CS gassed on Hove station. The sister couldn’t stop herself from cheering on her team and I was quite nervous about being associated with it. We were in the North west terrace so opposite you if it’s the same game.

boik

In 79 our boss was a great guy and lifelong gooner. Can't remember if it was the league return or one of the cups. He took us to Highbury and said we'd go in the west stand as it was quieter there. Couldn't get in so ended up on the north bank. There were some scary animals in there, but as was the case at the time we hardly laid a glove on them so I didn't give myself away.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
As a 15 year old in '75, a mate had just passed his test and got a car so three of us went off to Selhurst without a map or much sense of direction

Slightly off topic, reminds me of a true story of another 15 or so year old who went for the first time to watch a match at White Hart Lane: took the tube to Tottenham Court Road.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Only once. The FA Cup game at the Goldstone against Liverpool in 1991, when we lost 2-3 in extra time. Couldn’t get in the North as usual, and the only ticket I could get was in with the Scousers in the East Terrace. Shudder.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
West ham away at the old boleyn ground......just a bit wary of looks when I couldn't resist celebrating our goal although we lost eventually.

Did the same when we played them in The Championship and won 0-1, think it may have been Butters who scored. The WHU fans around me were shouting at the players and general abusing them, so I joined in.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Been quite a few times: saw a cracking game at Goodison from the Gwladys St end. Could have been hairy but most Everton fans were amused to see an Albion fan there (it did help that I was with a dozen scousers though).

The worst was Gillingham when we were the away team - it was like visiting the scene of the crime. We got stuffed 3-0 and had to listen to a load of Kent in-breds congratulating themselves. The best was at Moulineux when I was going out with a Wolves supporter: Eric Young scored about five minutes from the end to win the game. It was a short triumph - she dumped me about six week later (don't think it was connected to the football though)

I think I was at that Wolves game, must have been late 1984? I was in the away end - after the game about 25 of the Wolves yoof jumped the barriers, avoiding damage to their Pringle sweaters, and gave it the big ‘come on then, who wants it?’. The Albion fans just laughed and they all trudged back to where they had come from!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
About November 1999

Steaua Bucharest Vs West Ham . . . in the Home main stand with a group I was working with in Ploiesti . . . one of whom was a WHU fanatic, we had to hold him down and keep him quiet a few times.

The home end was rather fiesty, not sure we'd have survived in there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here